Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does religion make armies stronger?
Does religion make armies stronger?
I've seen this discussed before (not sure if it was here), and whilst entirely speculative, I thought it might be a good point of discussion.

Do you think that belief in an afterlife (the heaven and hell stuff), and a law maker god, make humans more willing to impress their god, more willing to die, thereby making them a more cohesive, dangerous force in battle? Or is it entirely circumstantial (training, stratagem, state of the other army, weather) or is it a combination of these things? 

I'm of the opinion that it's a complex issue, and likely a combination of all of these things, but I also feel that it's a bit too coincidental that the two largest religions in the world happen to be monotheistic religions, which are expansionist by nature, and play major roles in the political structure of their cultures. These religions both have heaven and hell as their main carrot and stick, and can quite easily be turned in to death cults when required. Where god the loving/merciful becomes god of the armies/the avenger, and said god encourages martyrdom and willingness to die for the faith.

Thoughts?
Plato had defined Man as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture room with the words,

"Behold Plato's man!"

RE: Does religion make armies stronger?
Positive thinking makes people stronger. If they happen to be focusing on something irrational and illogical that also makes them feel positive, then they are going to become stronger individuals in their lives.

It does not diminish the fact that their strong lives are a result of fiction, however.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Would you want to meet this on the battlefield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3mDLsyn6ns
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Interesting question!

In some ways I can see it being a motivation, that you're fighting for something "greater". (How anyone can believe in God while fighting in a war is beyond me though. Their God is either pathetic or sadistic to allow wars to happen at all.)

Not being scared to die could work both ways, it could provide extra confidence but also makes you undervalue your life and your importance in the fight. This is me being an armchair quarterback though, I've never been involved in any conflict and I'm just speculating.

One very real problem I've heard about before is people stopping to pray when situations get dire.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think it's mostly that if they believe in afterlife they're not afraid to die. Just look at the terrorist suicide bombers. They go out deeply convinced they're just transitioning to a much better place in paradise. Not fearing and even desiring death makes them more dangerous.
That's true. There isn't very much you can use as a deterrent against someone who is so willing to die for their cause.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(August 3, 2015 at 1:22 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Would you want to meet this on the battlefield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3mDLsyn6ns
Honestly I'd piss myself and surrender
They get stronger as an individual because the reason/belief varies with the individual, so they do get stronger in guerilla warfare. But as an army they are actually weaker. As you can see in any large organized religion, it soon fragments into multiple factions, and such a fragmented army is a bad idea.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Also, if the desire to die in combat is greater than the desire for your side to actually win...

Index of my best videos
I don't know, you be the judge of that

[Image: 035_002.jpg]

[Image: plakat-sujet_wk-low_small.jpg?itok=qqMDUHd5]

[Image: 240px-Bosniak_imam.jpg]

The Austro Hungarian army had all the angles covered in WWI. Priest, Rabbi, Imam. And so had all the other armies.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2357 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5606 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10711 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4903 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19807 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why Does Sincrety Make Everything Okay? Rhondazvous 16 3962 September 27, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Does religion produce unique sensations? Dystopia 48 6465 July 11, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Does this make me a polytheist? Mystic 12 2496 December 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49292 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  The Holy Trinity Does Make Sense. paulpablo 0 1309 November 20, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: paulpablo