Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical For Gun Rights Advocates
Hypothetical For Gun Rights Advocates
Imagine, if you will, a sea change in USians' views on gun ownership, so much so that the Second Amendment is modified to prohibit the manufacture, sale and possession of semi-automatic rifles, fully automatic rifles and semi-automatic shotguns.  It isn't a ban on all firearms (you would still be permitted handguns, hunting riles and so forth). Bear in mind that this is a constitutional action, and as such requires the overwhelming support of voters in your country. 

Would you comply with the new law and hand over the now-proscribed weapons you own (for the sake of argument, let's assume that the new laws take the form of a 'buy back' scheme, where the government pays you fair market value for the weapons you turn in)?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hypothetical For Gun Rights Advocates
My flamethrower's safe though, right?
Dying to live, living to die.
[Image: 27a3fh.jpg]

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 28, 2018 at 3:36 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: My flamethrower's safe though, right?

Of course.  Only those weapons noted above will be affected.  Any country that would deny an unbalanced surgeon her God-given right to throw flame on people deserves no place  in the community of nations.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Constitution is sacred because it's convenient. The hardcore gunner will tell you that it is going to be a fight regardless of any changes in the Constitution. Those are the honest ones.
I agree with former supreme court judge John Paul Stevens: overturn the 2nd amendment altogether for starters.  Just rip that cloak of entitlement right the hell off.  That would help tons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...461672002/
(March 28, 2018 at 7:13 am)Whateverist Wrote: I agree with former supreme court judge John Paul Stevens: overturn the 2nd amendment altogether for starters.  Just rip that cloak of entitlement right the hell off.  That would help tons.

Great if you want a civil war. I agree with the fact that it was never really needed in the first place, but I also am not about to chase a utopia either. I think the better option is to stress "WELL REGULATED". 

There is a long history in court cases that DO allow for stricter firearm laws. Even the late Scalia(sp) said that firearms could be regulated. 

It sounds nice in theory and yes it is an amendment and we have repealed amendments in the past. I just don't know how realistic it is without creating fundy terrorists or a civil war. 

Australia and Scotland and Japan do not have a 2nd Amendment and DO allow for firearm ownership. What they don't have that America does is a obsession with firearms. 

I think short term that may not be realistic. I think attitudes have to change to a great enough degree for what you say to work.
Short answer, yes. I'd even throw in the semi auto hand guns. 

You've left enough wiggle room for me to still have fun. Bang fuckin Bang.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'll put out this idea again, if I may. Single round guns. Manual reload after a barrel is discharged. Two barrels allowed for hunting rifles and shotguns.
(March 28, 2018 at 7:13 am)Whateverist Wrote: I agree with former supreme court judge John Paul Stevens: overturn the 2nd amendment altogether for starters.  Just rip that cloak of entitlement right the hell off.  That would help tons.

Hell if the current Supreme court would admit that their current interpretation completely and mendaciously twists the meaning of the second and revert it to it's original meaning i.e. only those part of a state authorised and controlled defence force can own guns, it'd be enough.

I cannot understand why republican lawmakers can think the founding fathers would throw out the previos 150 years of European experience and allow private armies free reign through their infant country.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gun Control Leonardo17 38 1551 November 12, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18016 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  THE Gun Thread onlinebiker 1251 110060 August 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 3705 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Zealand - you gotta be this old to have rights. onlinebiker 123 4788 December 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1066 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  J.K. Rowling had to return civil rights award Foxaèr 68 4783 October 16, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Rank Stranger
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2466 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2085 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9514 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama