Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun Control
Gun Control
   Another 18 year old college student is dead as a result of a stray bullet in Nashville / Tennessee:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tennessee-coll...57452.html

This is very Wild Wild West to me. In the late 19th century the US was still a very rural place by European standards. So people needed weapons for their own security. Yet it doesn’t seem so logical for today’s mostly urbanized American society to allow such an easy access to lethal weapons. In fact, most of these people end up being used on ordinary people rather than criminals, marauders and/or buffalos, wolves etc.

In fact I see it as a kind of miracle that US police forces are still able to operate and still be very efficient in their duty in a country in which gangs have access to weapons of active combat in a completely legal manner Sad

[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: Gun Control
Nice sweeping generalization, Bowie. I used to kill people for less than $9/day, tax-free. When I wasn't in combat anymore I had no use for guns. Fifty years later, same-same.
(November 12, 2023 at 7:40 am)Leonardo17 Wrote:   

In fact I see it as a kind of miracle that US police forces are still able to operate and still be very efficient in their duty in a country in which gangs have access to weapons of active combat in a completely legal manner 

The vast majority of shootings are not gang related.  Don't worry about The Cops, though.  

[Image: main-qimg-1ebf05a4a036cf5bb3f72aa9772fa493-lq]

[Image: blog-tdnt-rc-500x280-v01.jpg]

[Image: c57bf862-eb9c-4c26-80af-210c54e5fd44-206...r=2&s=none]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Or

[Image: MRAP-23.jpg]
They wouldn't even let us bring our brads when we deployed, but the cops need a 113 to serve a warrant to a 60 year old man at the wrong house.

Because gangs, probably, or antifa, or little gremlins that live in the closet or under the bed.... or whatever.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If they suspect resistance they go kitted up. You would too. When I was doing arrests for the USN I stood well back, not getting paid to get shot.
They don't all make it out unscathed.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/ne...swat-call/

An Austin police officer was killed in the line of duty Saturday morning, following a 911 call that turned into a deadly SWAT standoff which left three other people dead.

A second officer was injured during the encounter, and is in stable condition at the Dell Seton Medical Center, according to a media briefing provided by Austin Police Department officials.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Oh absolutely. Unlike the cops, though...we weren't allowed to kit up to our vehicles, because no one believed that peace would be what followed from driving them into the crowds - and we were dealing with terrorists and gun runners. I've long been amused by how cops at home have a less restrictive roe and setup than soldiers in a conflict zone do.

We were mostly a shield and baton crowd, push em in and bodysnatch, but we couldn't call in an ifv for backup.

@arewethereyet

I'd be careful posting anything about cops dying in the line of duty, turns out plenty of them die dealing drugs or drunk driving or breaking and entering into the wrong house. It's not a dangerous job. For all we know this was another fuckup..and the signs are already there in that article.

Quote:The actions Henderson referenced in her post were undertaken during a 911 call that came in at 2:49am from a home in the 9300 block of Bernoulli Drive; the caller said she was being stabbed. Minutes later, officers arrived. A third person escaped the home and told officers the assailant was still inside and armed with a knife.

An hour later, around 4am, officers with APD’s SWAT team arrived and forced their way into the home. A shootout ensued, resulting in the death of Pastore and the injury of the second officer. After the shooting, officers found the assailant and two hostages dead, but it is unclear if any were killed in the shootout.

I don't think we'll be able to reverse the militarization of our police until we abandon myths about the us - that it's the wild west. Myths about gun deaths - that it's gangs or criminals - and myths about the nature of the job and it's dangers. Doesn't crack the top ten. You're more likely to die working in a tomato field than as a police officer. The back the blue nitwits are also the demographic most likely to shoot their girlfriends and themselves, and the us wasn't even wild during the "wild west" period.
(November 12, 2023 at 9:36 am)arewethereyet Wrote: They don't all make it out unscathed.

Confirmation that we don't live in a perfect world. T/Y
(November 12, 2023 at 9:38 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Oh absolutely. Unlike the cops, though...we weren't allowed to kit up to our vehicles, because no one believed that peace would be what followed from driving them into the crowds - and we were dealing with terrorists and gun runners.  I've long been amused by how cops at home have a less restrictive roe and setup than soldiers in a conflict zone do.

We were mostly a shield and baton crowd, push em in and bodysnatch, but we couldn't call in an ifv for backup.

@arewethereyet

I'd be careful posting anything about cops dying in the line of duty, turns out plenty of them die dealing drugs or drunk driving.  It's not a dangerous job.  For all we know this was another fuckup..and the signs are already there in that article.

Quote:The actions Henderson referenced in her post were undertaken during a 911 call that came in at 2:49am from a home in the 9300 block of Bernoulli Drive; the caller said she was being stabbed. Minutes later, officers arrived. A third person escaped the home and told officers the assailant was still inside and armed with a knife.

An hour later, around 4am, officers with APD’s SWAT team arrived and forced their way into the home. A shootout ensued, resulting in the death of Pastore and the injury of the second officer. After the shooting, officers found the assailant and two hostages dead, but it is unclear if any were killed in the shootout.
I got to ride the LA Sheriff's ram armored vehicle when I was serving Federal wants back in the '80s. It wasn't all that much fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  THE Gun Thread onlinebiker 1251 111655 August 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 3806 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1101 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2515 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1368 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9989 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!! BrianSoddingBoru4 34 1745 February 28, 2020 at 4:15 pm
  Yes, Kids - ANOTHER Gun Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1202 September 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm
  More gun deaths zebo-the-fat 42 3695 September 6, 2019 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Vince
  New Gun Regulations In The US Would Be Really, Really Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 135 11958 May 6, 2019 at 4:55 am