Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions
Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions
I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance. They don't bother to fully read into the things these paranormal researchers have to say which addresses any objections these skeptics have. When you disagree with something whether it be an idea, an experiment, or a certain claim, you should fully look into anything that addresses your objections. Otherwise, you would just be jumping to conclusions. When drawing a certain conclusion, you should do so only after having conducted full research and having read all the objections being addressed. In short, keep an open mind through the whole journey until you finally arrive at the final destination whether that destination be accepting paranormal claims and findings as truth or rejecting them as woo or nonsense.
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions
That's nice.  So...do you have some ghost photography you'd like to present, or?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm fascinated by the paranormal, ghosts and the like.

I don't jump to any conclusions about it, however. I'm just not going to accept the claims without any testable evidence.

And these "ghosthunter" type shows only reinforce my scepticism.
Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance.

Right.  What else have you got?
(April 6, 2018 at 4:43 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance. They don't bother to fully read into the things these paranormal researchers have to say which addresses any objections these skeptics have. When you disagree with something whether it be an idea, an experiment, or a certain claim, you should fully look into anything that addresses your objections. Otherwise, you would just be jumping to conclusions. When drawing a certain conclusion, you should do so only after having conducted full research and having read all the objections being addressed. In short, keep an open mind through the whole journey until you finally arrive at the final destination whether that destination be accepting paranormal claims and findings as truth or rejecting them as woo or nonsense.

It's a well known fact of psychology that people take short cuts in reasoning about the world. The idea that this or that particular area should be handled without appeal to these shortcuts is as irrational as it is futile. We tend to rely on consensus and method to weed out reliable claims from unreliable claims, as well as the fact that past performance predicts future behavior. Are these shortcuts? Sure. But do they produce a robust representation of truth and reality? I would argue that they do. Your complaint is long on principle and short on practicality. If we gave every advocate of every belief the type of treatment you here want us to reserve for the paranormal, we'd never have time for anything else. On top of that, it's possible that the reliability of our conclusions would be harmed instead of helped, as the wisdom of the crowd outperforms individual judgements in the bulk of situations.

So my question for you would be why you feel that treating only claims of the paranormal in this way is in any sense wise?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 6, 2018 at 6:01 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(April 6, 2018 at 4:43 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance. They don't bother to fully read into the things these paranormal researchers have to say which addresses any objections these skeptics have. When you disagree with something whether it be an idea, an experiment, or a certain claim, you should fully look into anything that addresses your objections. Otherwise, you would just be jumping to conclusions. When drawing a certain conclusion, you should do so only after having conducted full research and having read all the objections being addressed. In short, keep an open mind through the whole journey until you finally arrive at the final destination whether that destination be accepting paranormal claims and findings as truth or rejecting them as woo or nonsense.

It's a well known fact of psychology that people take short cuts in reasoning about the world.  The idea that this or that particular area should be handled without appeal to these shortcuts is as irrational as it is futile.  We tend to rely on consensus and method to weed out reliable claims from unreliable claims, as well as the fact that past performance predicts future behavior.  Are these shortcuts?  Sure.  But do they produce a robust representation of truth and reality?  I would argue that they do.  Your complaint is long on principle and short on practicality.  If we gave every advocate of every belief the type of treatment you here want us to reserve for the paranormal, we'd never have time for anything else.  On top of that, it's possible that the reliability of our conclusions would be harmed instead of helped, as the wisdom of the crowd outperforms individual judgements in the bulk of situations.

So my question for you would be why you feel that treating only claims of the paranormal in this way is in any sense wise?

But the paranormal researchers would even reject to this as well.  They would say that the skeptics are drawing the wrong conclusions through faulty methods and shortcuts.  Therefore, I think it really all comes down to my method because you could be wrong here.  Likewise, the researchers could be wrong and the skeptics might be right when saying that we can reject and dismiss paranormal claims and experiments based upon those methods and shortcuts you've mentioned.  So, who is right and who is wrong here?  Again, it all comes down to my method of doing the full research into this to find out for sure.

(April 6, 2018 at 6:52 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
Sorry mate, but if someone sits next to me on the bus and tells me they saw Bigfoot, can move items with their mind, can communicate with the dead etc. I am moving to a different seat.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(April 6, 2018 at 4:43 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance.

WHAT paranormal findings?!

Shy
(April 6, 2018 at 7:15 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(April 6, 2018 at 4:43 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I get the feeling that perhaps skeptics reject paranormal findings and experiments at first glance.

WHAT paranormal findings?!

Shy

You know, that tingly feeling at the back of your neck and the shivers that run up your spine when you're spooked.  
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 6, 2018 at 7:26 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(April 6, 2018 at 7:15 pm)Hammy Wrote: WHAT paranormal findings?!

Shy

You know, that tingly feeling at the back of your neck and the shivers that run up your spine when you're spooked.  

I only get the shivers listening to beautiful music. When I'm spooked I shake, I don't get a tingly feeling.

And I don't get spooked over non-haunted houses and other stupid paranormal shit.

(April 6, 2018 at 5:34 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I'm fascinated by the paranormal, ghosts and the like.

Really?!

Damn. And we used to be such great friends Tongue

Guess I have to remove my rep point for you now in shame. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conclusions about weak Atheism. Mystic 72 13440 April 5, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9306 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4053 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here's why Creatards might be right ErGingerbreadMandude 710 68404 November 19, 2015 at 8:18 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Starting Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics group in East County SD LivingNumbers6.626 13 5130 August 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Conclusions: What postitions are most typical of atheists using AF.org Whateverist 23 4368 July 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Supposed Skeptics? FatAndFaithless 26 4480 July 9, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  You might be an Atheist... The Reality Salesman01 14 3645 November 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting Raven 13 6064 June 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Religions I might try before becoming a full Atheist... dudeofawesome 28 6720 February 12, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda