Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is technology making us less human?
Is technology making us less human?
I don't need to quote an article here, because I know it is making us less human.

We're not interacting one-on-one with as much frequency anymore and every damn time I see someone in public they are more interested with what's happening on their phones than with what is happening around them.

Discuss.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Is technology making us less human?
No *beep whirr* it isn't.  *click*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It simultaneously connects us, yet reduced our interpersonal skills because we're communicating via screen and mic. I would say, if you can go to someone's house and hangout, you should do that. If it's a friend in another country, maybe practice with a camera, so you can see each other's faces.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 1, 2018 at 6:49 pm)Kit Wrote: I don't need to quote an article here, because I know it is making us less human.

We're not interacting one-on-one with as much frequency anymore and every damn time I see someone in public they are more interested with what's happening on their phones than with what is happening around them.

Discuss.

Humanness is defined by exactly what humans actually have been, are and will be. We can neither be more nor less human than exactly how we are.
(May 1, 2018 at 7:11 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Humanness is defined by exactly what humans actually have been, are and will be. We can neither be more nor less human than exactly how we are.

Incorrect.

Defining humanness is dependent upon behavior of the human.
~ Erin Hunter
(May 1, 2018 at 7:12 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 7:11 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Humanness is defined by exactly what humans actually have been, are and will be.  We can neither be more nor less human than exactly how we are.

Incorrect.

Defining humanness is dependent upon behavior of the human.

No, humanness is defined by all human behavior, not a subset of subjectively pleasing human behavior. A human could no more be less human than he could be less a part of the universe.
(May 1, 2018 at 7:13 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: No, humanness is defined by all human behavior, not a subset of subjectively pleasing human behavior. A human could no more be less human than he could be less a part of the universe.

How would you describe a human disposed by common sense to act irrationally?

Certainly human, of course, but certainly less than human.
~ Erin Hunter
Not at all.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 1, 2018 at 7:18 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 7:13 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: No, humanness is defined by all human behavior, not a subset of subjectively pleasing human behavior.   A human could no more be less human than he could be less a part of the universe.

How would you describe a human disposed by common sense to act irrationally?

Certainly human, of course, but certainly less than human.

Really? How is either rationality or irrationality more human than the other?

To say one human is more human than another implies humanness is a set of independently conceived specifications and actual humans are but products produced to fulfill the specification. I would think humanness is descriptive, not proscriptive.
Based on the numbers of recent threads you've started, you appear to be the biggest threat.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I swear Technology hates me. AkiraTheViking 18 1464 July 12, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Microsoft making helmets for soldiers Fake Messiah 18 1389 May 10, 2021 at 11:46 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The downside of automotive technology onlinebiker 32 2670 January 15, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  What Do We Need to Know About Yesterday's Technology? Rhondazvous 30 4158 July 10, 2015 at 7:28 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  A Technology That Dominionists Will Find Useful Secular Elf 6 1584 June 29, 2015 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Nope
  FYI: Battery technology pocaracas 2 1378 April 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
Lightbulb Are we capable of making the Matrix ? Marsellus Wallace 2 762 February 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5616 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Computer Science and Information Technology goddamnit 16 7132 July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Schools and Technology SavageNerdz 12 4934 May 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy