Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The downside of automotive technology
The downside of automotive technology
Watch TV and the manufacturers will crow on, about how safe all the " collision avoidance " technology will make their vehicles.

Well.....

Yes and no.

Yes - when it' s new - and under warranty

But - what will happen 10, 20 or even 30 years down the road?

My guess? 

Owners will get reliant on such systems doing the job the " meatware" used to do - paying attention. ( in theory)..

And - like all other mechanical or electrical systems - at some point the safety gear will quit working - and neither the car or it' s " driver" will be paying attention - and moving shit will encounter unmoving shit - or moving shit that' s going in a different direction.

Then of course the " driver" who was playing with his dick at the point of impact - will sue the manufacturer, for not making a perfect product.

Lawyers salivate at the prospects.....
RE: The downside of automotive technology
(January 14, 2019 at 11:23 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Watch TV and the manufacturers will crow on, about how safe all the " collision avoidance " technology will make their vehicles.

Well.....

Yes and no.

My guess? 

Owners will get reliant on such systems doing the job the " meatware" used to do - paying attention. ( in theory)..

And - like all other mechanical or electrical systems - at some point the safety gear will quit working - and neither the car or it' s " driver" will be paying attention - and moving shit will encounter unmoving shit - or moving shit that' s going in a different direction.

Then of course the " driver" who was playing with his dick at the point of impact - will sue the manufacturer, for not making a perfect product.

There are so many things wrong with progress. Let’s go back to the Stone Age.
(January 15, 2019 at 12:13 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(January 14, 2019 at 11:23 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Watch TV and the manufacturers will crow on, about how safe all the " collision avoidance " technology will make their vehicles.

Well.....

Yes and no.

My guess? 

There are so many things wrong with progress.   Let’s go back to the Stone Age.

Progress???

Becoming reliant on gadgetry isn't progress.

Just look at a pocket calculator.

A handy tool. But - today' s kid can't convert fractions to decimal, and probably can't tell you what the square root of 144 is without a calculator.

Why?

He relies on the gadget to do as job he should know how to do.

You want compliant unskilled drones.

I want thinking people that can DO things.

Like drive.

Edit to add ----

I don't think the tech is bad --- you just made that assumption.

You failed to answer the heart of the question --- what happens as the system ages and quits functioning???? ( guaranteed, it will)

In an ideal world - the system would self test ---- and at ANY hint of an inoperative condition - the vehicle would shut down - and remain inoperative until the fault was corrected.

Unfortunately - today's consumer ( and probably tomorrow's) won't go along with that.

We know what happens now - when an ABS system fails --- they tape over the warning light and keep driving...
Damned kids buy flour in a BAG, instead of just grinding it at home like decent folk!~
Not looking forward to my Windows 10 operated vehicle crashing!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Such a system needn't be perfect, it only has to ride better than THE median driver, to become benefactory.
I'd rather have ten die because of a computer's fault than a hundred because of human fault.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(January 15, 2019 at 1:45 am)bennyboy Wrote: Damned kids buy flour in a BAG, instead of just grinding it at home like decent folk!~

And they think flour is mined like coal.

Pffttt

Tongue

(January 15, 2019 at 2:00 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Such a system needn't be perfect, it only has to ride better than THE median driver, to become benefactory.
I'd rather have ten die because of a computer's fault than a hundred because of human fault.

And again --- overlook the point.

These systems work NOW

And they will ( like the drivers) age - then NOT . work. Then you will see the accident rate from things like rear end collisions spike - because users got used to having collision avoidence....
(January 15, 2019 at 1:29 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Progress???

Becoming reliant on gadgetry isn't progress.

Yes, it is. Cars are "gadgetry". Electricity is "gadgetry". Hypodermics, X-ray machines and life-support systems are "gadgetry". Flushable toilets are "gadgetry". Glasses, false teeth and hearing aids are "gadgetry"... All of that is progress and most of our lives depend on it.

(January 15, 2019 at 1:29 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Just look at a pocket calculator.

A handy tool. But - today' s kid can't convert fractions to decimal, and probably can't tell you what the square root of 144 is without a calculator.

Why?

He relies on the gadget to do as job he should know how to do.

Right. Look at a book. A handy tool, but today's kid can't even memorize the entire "Iliad", because the lazy f*cker can just read it anytime he/she pleases.... Rolleyes

And let's face it - most kids couldn't tell you what square root of 144 was even before calculators, because kids are stupid. And I'll bet dollars to donuts, that most adults - especially in the US - don't know what a square root is, or how to find it on a calculator...

(January 15, 2019 at 1:29 am)onlinebiker Wrote: You want compliant unskilled drones.

I want thinking people that can DO things.

Like drive.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think all that many people are terribly concerned about what you want. Mind your own business and your own abilities. I can guarantee you, that you're missing many skills, that many people find indispensable, or would have in the not-very-distant past. Can you drive stick? Can you reliably navigate without a compass? How many languages do you speak? How many musical instruments do you play? Can you ride horses? How well can you hunt with a rock tied to a stick? I'm sure technology is all fine and dandy, when you use it to cover up your own "shortcomings".

(January 15, 2019 at 1:29 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Edit to add ----

I don't think the tech is bad --- you just made that assumption.

You failed to answer the heart of the question --- what happens as the system ages and quits functioning???? ( guaranteed, it will)

In an ideal world - the system would self test ---- and at ANY hint of an inoperative condition - the vehicle would shut down - and remain inoperative until the fault was corrected.

Unfortunately - today's consumer ( and probably tomorrow's) won't go along with that.

We know what happens now - when an ABS system fails --- they tape over the warning light and keep driving...

And even in the worst scenario - it will still cause fewer accidents, than drugged up apes behind the wheel. There's nothing inherently human about driving. We got rid of horses, we can get rid of all other animals involved in transportation, if that gives us better results - even if some people's sense of self-worth will suffer.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I've read some stuff about driverless technology being preferable to driver assisting technology because the driver assisting technology really does make drivers into worse drivers. I'm a big fan of driverless technology because I see serious potential for it to massively reduce the number of cars on the road. When cars drive themselves, why would we bother to own one? Why should a self driving car sit around in my driveway ninety-five percent of the time?

I agree that a lot of technology is causing otherwise-intelligent people to forget how to perform some basic life skills. A young freshly graduated from high school member of my family needed me to coach them through converting .85 to a fraction when taking a state university entrance evaluation test. I was very alarmed by this 'honor roll' student's inability to perform a basic life skill that I thought that almost everyone could easily do in their head. I suspect that reading comprehension taking a serious nose dive too. However, I don't consider driving to be a basic life skill. It's an extravagance. Before cars, most people didn't know how to ride a horse, believe it or not.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
The systems will likely use multiple layers of redundancy and be programmed to pull over in stop if any one element fails.

This is just a lame attempt to justify the silly argument that people are reduced by having machines do their labor. Instead, it frees them up to do other things.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I swear Technology hates me. AkiraTheViking 18 1476 July 12, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Is technology making us less human? Foxaèr 24 5376 May 2, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Do We Need to Know About Yesterday's Technology? Rhondazvous 30 4174 July 10, 2015 at 7:28 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  A Technology That Dominionists Will Find Useful Secular Elf 6 1589 June 29, 2015 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Nope
  FYI: Battery technology pocaracas 2 1382 April 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5634 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Computer Science and Information Technology goddamnit 16 7139 July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Schools and Technology SavageNerdz 12 4946 May 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Relying on Technology (quick questions) ReB 10 6896 September 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Violet
  what will technology be like in 2025 joshgold17 13 7880 November 21, 2010 at 10:38 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub