Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do We Need to Know About Yesterday's Technology?
I was trying to screw a cap on a bottle when it dawned on me that I was turning it the wrong way. Standard screws are always screw on clockwise and screw off counterclockwise. But then it dawned on me again that there’s a whole generation growing up who haven’t the slightest idea what clockwise/counterclockwise means.

In the 1980s, my stepfather would not let my baby sister have a digital clock until she got the big hand/little hand thing down pat. Today, I don’t think they even sell face clocks anymore, yet clockwise/counterclockwise remains a part of our culture. Even my image editor lets me choose between rotating an image clockwise or counterclockwise. Is it retro to hold on to those designations, or is it an important tradition that we should pass on to our children?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I don't mind moving on with the times, however I do own a few analog watches.

Digital watches are often cheap and fall apart. Analog watches are built better in my experience.

One thing that comes up a lot is cursive (at least, in the United States). I don't have any problem with letting cursive die with the advent of computer print. I see no value in forcing our children to learn cursive. They'd be much better served learning to type on a keyboard more efficiently or learning a second language.
RE: What Do We Need to Know About Yesterday's Technology?
I'm collecting early calculators. It's fun and interesting to me.

In High School I was taught vacuum tube technology (mhos and transconductance, grid bias and thermionic emission) and maybe I haven't used it much, but it gives me an understanding of the 'big picture' that freshly graduated techies these days do not have.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I still remember when they showed the video on how clocks worked back in school, it was so cool to see and understand how all those parts came together to form a mechanical watch. Yes digital watches are gaining ground and for a good reason, they are more intuitive, but the old face watches are not dead, they too exist in the digital form, like when I expand the digital-watch on my laptop or smartphone, they will still show a beautiful face watch. The app-stores are flooded with analogue-clock apps...

In near future though we really might not have face watches anymore though, and if that happens, the associated terminologies will disappear as well, we don't have to make conscious choice in the matter.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

My wife volunteers with a group that does memory screening tests ( we have a lot of old farts out here ) and one of the tests involves drawing a clock face and putting in the hands to show a certain time.  It is amazing how many people fail that part of the test.  She has pointed out that in the future they will not be able to continue using the test because of the prevalence of digital clocks.
Interesting! Clockwise and counter clockwise are very useful references, and I suppose they may well fade away. What would we say instead? Twist right, and twist left? That would do I suppose.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
deasil and widdershins
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Actually, I don't know if you've noticed, but most high-end/trendy watches are still old style:

Swatch:
[Image: black-rebel-swatch.jpg]

Tag-Heuer:

And even smartwatches:

The Save icon on most office applications is still - STILL - in the form of a floppy disc. Very soon there will be an entire generation that barely knows the reason for this.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(July 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm)Iroscato Wrote: The Save icon on most office applications is still - STILL - in the form of a floppy disc. Very soon there will be an entire generation that barely knows the reason for this.

I wonder if some day I may be explaining to my grand children that cell phones are called phones because they used to be used to make phone calls, and subsequently blow their minds Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I swear Technology hates me. AkiraTheViking 18 1480 July 12, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  The downside of automotive technology onlinebiker 32 2685 January 15, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Is technology making us less human? Foxaèr 24 5385 May 2, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Technology That Dominionists Will Find Useful Secular Elf 6 1596 June 29, 2015 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Nope
  Ubuntu 14.04.2... What do I need to know... Ravenshire 18 3274 May 23, 2015 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  FYI: Battery technology pocaracas 2 1382 April 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5637 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Computer Science and Information Technology goddamnit 16 7139 July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Schools and Technology SavageNerdz 12 4947 May 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Relying on Technology (quick questions) ReB 10 6899 September 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Violet