Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homo Erectus, Guys, Not HSS
Homo Erectus, Guys, Not HSS
And they had to have boats to get there!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/sc...-1.3971622

Quote:Evidence of tools surrounding the carcass of a 700,000-year-old rhino suggests ancient man lived in the Philippines much earlier than once believed.
The animal's butchered corpse was found on the northern island of Luzon — the Philippines' largest — nearly 650,000 years prior to the timeframe scientists once established for humans in the country. But these people weren't the homosapiens we know today. It's believed that they were hominids or "hobbits."
Experts thought that early man wouldn't have been able to reach the island nation at that time because they didn't have boats to cross the water. Instead, a "freak" event likely lent a hand.

"They may have been caught in a tsunami and carried out to sea.

A tsunami?  Are you fucking kidding me?   Tsunamis kill people.  They do not serve as a magic carpet transit system!
RE: Homo Erectus, Guys, Not HSS
(May 4, 2018 at 2:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And they had to have boats to get there!

Quote:Evidence of tools surrounding the carcass of a 700,000-year-old rhino suggests ancient man lived in the Philippines much earlier than once believed.
The animal's butchered corpse was found on the northern island of Luzon — the Philippines' largest — nearly 650,000 years prior to the timeframe scientists once established for humans in the country. But these people weren't the homosapiens we know today. It's believed that they were hominids or "hobbits."
Experts thought that early man wouldn't have been able to reach the island nation at that time because they didn't have boats to cross the water. Instead, a "freak" event likely lent a hand.

A tsunami?  Are you fucking kidding me?   Tsunamis kill people.  They do not serve as a magic carpet transit system!

Maybe this guy is one of there descendants. An 80 foot wave is nothing to sneeze at.

Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Tsunamis in deep water aren't "dramatic". Nor are they likely to transport anyone very far. As for the Philippines, there are over 4,000 NAMED islands, so you don't have to go too far by boat to get to the next one.
As long as the water is more than six feet deep no one walked there.
(May 4, 2018 at 3:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: As long as the water is more than six feet deep no one walked there.

Manute Bol.
In 700,000 BC?

They didn't even play basketball.
(May 4, 2018 at 2:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And they had to have boats to get there!

Well, in 1888, when Krakatoa volcano erupted, it created rafts of floating pumice in the Sunda sea.  Then the volcano subsided into its caldera and caused a series of 4 of the worst tsunamis in recorded history.  Guess what happened?  Some of the pumice rafts were washed on land by an earlier tsunami, then some animals got onto the raft, and the rafts were washed back out to sea again by a later tsunami.   Some of these rafts were recorded to have carried live animals all the way across the Indian Ocean to Africa.

There were also records of people being clinging to palm trunks being washed out to sea by the tsunami and drifted onto another island during the same event. There is even record of a person being washed out to sea clinging to a dead alligator and washing up alive on a nearby island during that tsunami.

So tsunami borne transaocean migration isn’t as far fetched as it looks.

Also, it doesm’t Require tsunami for creature to accidentally cross an ocean.  Monkeys evolved in the old world long after South America and Africa split for good in the opening of south Atlantic.   Yet some old world monkeys evidently drifted all the way across the Atlantic to South America to become ancesters of new world monkeys on mats of vegetation.
Marsupials originated in s. america.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 4, 2018 at 4:21 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Marsupials originated in s. america.

Yes, but so long ago that s America was still attached to other continents.
Yeah, one of the marsupial migrations appears to have happened then...but theres another, later, in which they posit floating sea mats. Iit;s one of those things that...when you first look at it it seems incredible, one in a million...but the more you look the more you find instances of it.

-as far as the boat bit, though, steering it back to that...there;s a good reason to believe that we've had boats longer than we think we have...far longer than the oldest known boats, not that we could ever demonstrate that to be true except in a circumstance even less likely than drifting across the ocean on a kelp bed (or carving the front of a biog wave on a log, lol).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admit It, Guys. We Were Wrong. Minimalist 20 1338 September 27, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Homo Just Became Less Special Minimalist 36 6851 October 23, 2015 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Another one flying in the faces of creationist - Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens had sex abaris 8 1524 June 23, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Cloning H.Erectus vodkafan 21 2422 June 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus