Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America's First Published Cookie Receipe
America's First Published Cookie Receipe
Cookies

One pound sugar boiled slowly in half pint water, scum well and cool, add two teaspoons pearl ash dissolved in milk, then two and a half pounds flour, rub in 4 ounces butter, and two large spoons of finely powdered coriander seed, wet with above; make roles half an inch thick and cut to the shape you please; bake fifteen or twenty minutes in a slack oven--good three weeks.

Complete article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-bea...89449.html
The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
RE: America's First Published Cookie Receipe
(December 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm)lilyannerose Wrote: Cookies

I have an incredible urge to bake now but I think I'll stick to modern recipes. Do you bake?

Speaking of historical ones though, I once found a recipe for "rosewater cookies" that were supposedly from Elizabethan times. If I can find it again, I'd love to see if Shell and I and anyone else who's interested could improve on it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(December 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(December 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm)lilyannerose Wrote: Cookies

I have an incredible urge to bake now but I think I'll stick to modern recipes. Do you bake?

Speaking of historical ones though, I once found a recipe for "rosewater cookies" that were supposedly from Elizabethan times. If I can find it again, I'd love to see if Shell and I and anyone else who's interested could improve on it.

Never much of a cook and as most of the men I dated either could really cook or had money to eat out a lot I was never terribly motivated to learn, which I'm sorry for now! However, I do have a lot of respect for the cooks and bakers of the world! I thought the history on this was trivia fun!

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
I like to cook but I don't think I'd make these cookies. My kids are used to something a little fancier and these would most likely end up in the compost pile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 685 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 3714 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4140 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4186 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9258 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is America the greatest country Kingpin 267 39861 December 14, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2517 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  AmAm (Amazing America) rado84 6 1677 July 14, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America Pyrrho 30 4680 June 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Your first post &/or first kudos Fidel_Castronaut 80 11730 March 17, 2015 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Nope