Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mom's vivid and religious dreams
My mom's vivid and religious dreams
So my mom grew up in a Greek Catholic house, she isn't too religious, but does believe there may be a higher power like a god or something of that nature. One thing that's kind of strange to me is this. She has 2 children, myself and my brother. She also had 2 miscarriages, where after about 6 weeks, the fetus died. She told me that it wasn't particularly easy to conceive, and that there were times where it didn't work. However, when she became pregnant with me (the day before she found out) she had a dream with mother Mary telling her she was going to be giving birth to a child. It happened to be true. Then, her next attempt to have a baby was a miscarriage, and while she was at one point pregnant, she did not have a religious dream. Then, she had my brother, and the day before she found out about being pregnant with him, she said Jesus came to her, lifted her up, and said she would be giving birth to another baby.

I know these could be written off as just dreams, coincidences, potentially anticipation lead the brain to expect pregnancy, but these dreams didn't occur for the 2 miscarriages, does this potentially mean anything supernatural at work here?
RE: My mom's vivid and religious dreams
(May 28, 2018 at 12:47 am)orthodox-man Wrote: [...]
I know these could be written off as just dreams, coincidences, potentially anticipation lead the brain to expect pregnancy, but these dreams didn't occur for the 2 miscarriages, does this potentially mean anything supernatural at work here?

No.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Coincidences are coincidences...
Of course she'll say that she never had similar dreams, unless while pregnant for her two live births... Right?
(May 28, 2018 at 12:47 am)orthodox-man Wrote: So my mom grew up in a Greek Catholic house, she isn't too religious, but does believe there may be a higher power like a god or something of that nature. One thing that's kind of strange to me is this. She has 2 children, myself and my brother. She also had 2 miscarriages, where after about 6 weeks, the fetus died. She told me that it wasn't particularly easy to conceive, and that there were times where it didn't work. However, when she became pregnant with me (the day before she found out) she had a dream with mother Mary telling her she was going to be giving birth to a child. It happened to be true. Then, her next attempt to have a baby was a miscarriage, and while she was at one point pregnant, she did not have a religious dream. Then, she had my brother, and the day before she found out about being pregnant with him, she said Jesus came to her, lifted her up, and said she would be giving birth to another baby.

Anecdotes only. They mean nothing at all.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

And if mum was of a different religion, it would have been Mohamed or Vishnu that spoke to her in her dream.
It happens every day all around the world I guarantee you.

They can't all be real, can they? But they can all be false. FACT: God and Jesus don't have a wifi connection to your mum!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm sorry to hear about the miscarriages.

This is not evidence of anything as far as I'm concerned. Even if the dreams (and lack of) all happened as described it would not be significant. But we don't even know what has been lost in the reporting process (not necessarily intentionally).

How did she even know it was "Mother Mary"? No one knows what she looked like. She was clearly comparing it to what she expected her to look like, which is exactly how her brain created the image.

Even if something "supernatural" happened here, there's no way to tell what and where; or to distinguish it from any other similar accounts where nothing supernatural happened.

(If we assume it really was Christian magical figures at work here, what did they really do? Or rather, why did they sit around and allow miscarriages?)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Seems rather odd that Jesus or Mary didn't come to her before the miscarriages and say, 'Your pregnancy is in trouble - please go see your doctor.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 28, 2018 at 12:47 am)orthodox-man Wrote: So my mom grew up in a Greek Catholic house, she isn't too religious, but does believe there may be a higher power like a god or something of that nature. One thing that's kind of strange to me is this. She has 2 children, myself and my brother. She also had 2 miscarriages, where after about 6 weeks, the fetus died. She told me that it wasn't particularly easy to conceive, and that there were times where it didn't work. However, when she became pregnant with me (the day before she found out) she had a dream with mother Mary telling her she was going to be giving birth to a child. It happened to be true. Then, her next attempt to have a baby was a miscarriage, and while she was at one point pregnant, she did not have a religious dream. Then, she had my brother, and the day before she found out about being pregnant with him, she said Jesus came to her, lifted her up, and said she would be giving birth to another baby.

You were a magic baby. Is that what you are trying to say?  God intervened in your conception so you could mature and post your testimony on atheist forums? Amazing!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Well chimp, just to extrapolate one step further, would it be too much of a stretch to ponder a possible scenario where God, after seeing all the suffering mum went through, that he personally intervened and made sure the next birth would be healthy? I mean he is known to do things like that right Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

If she had the dreams "the day before she found out", that means that pregnancy was on her mind obviously. Or are you saying she had the dream woke up the next day and said' "quick doc check my uterus, virgin Mary said a baby is in there"? Also your story doesn't tell us if she was trying to get pregnant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2767 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2580 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  I DON'T BELIEVE IN MY MOM'S STUPID FUCKING RELIGION XenobladeShulk 102 16341 February 2, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue