Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are our mini-computers called smartphones?
Why are our mini-computers called smartphones?
Most of us own a pocket-sized computer that can do literally hundreds of things, one of which is making phone calls. So why are these miniature computers called "smartphones"?
RE: Why are our mini-computers called smartphones?
(August 8, 2018 at 8:52 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Most of us own a pocket-sized computer that can do literally hundreds of things, one of which is making phone calls. So why are these miniature computers called "smartphones"?

Because the ability to call is probably the only function that, if it were missing, would cause you not to carry that device around any more.
Because words.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 8, 2018 at 9:20 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 8:52 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Most of us own a pocket-sized computer that can do literally hundreds of things, one of which is making phone calls. So why are these miniature computers called "smartphones"?

Because the ability to call is probably the only function that, if it were missing, would cause you not to carry that device around any more.

A PDA was a not-phone. Nobody uses them any more.

Because the ones that don't are called tablets?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 8, 2018 at 9:28 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 9:20 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Because the ability to call is probably the only function that, if it were missing, would cause you not to carry that device around any more.

A PDA was a not-phone. Nobody uses them any more.

Yeh.

Nobody says, "Wow, PDAs can make calls now."  They say, "Wow, my phone does everything those things did, so I will just carry my phone from now on."
I mainly use mine as a phone.
Mine is basically an inert slab. It's an Obama-phone. I tried signing into hotmail one day and couldn't accomplish it. It's so slow it's ridiculous. Probably the most useless thing I own. I only keep it to call 911 if the power or internet is out. I'm not completely confident it will do that.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Those mini-computers retain a vestigial telephonic capability.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Dumbphones didn't test as well during the marketing phase.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 484 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea. Succubus 26 3695 June 8, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Even the computers are Racist! Goosebump 9 1343 April 15, 2016 at 9:01 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Proving that spying on computers is a physical reality, pretty easy one too. WinterHold 2 1199 March 14, 2015 at 8:36 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Compressor Educational [Mini project] Marsellus Wallace 7 1643 July 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  quantum computers simplexity 1 1006 July 6, 2013 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Computers taught to recognise cats. downbeatplumb 4 1700 June 29, 2012 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris