Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Atheists
Question for Atheists
Hey, I'm a christian who's simply just wondering what atheists think about the subject of morality. I'm not gonna twist ur answers and try to preach at you or anything, so please don't be defensive or anything. It's just that I have been thinking about morality, and I wonder where atheists believe that their moral values originate from?
RE: Question for Atheists
(December 9, 2010 at 6:28 am)16three-john Wrote: Hey, I'm a christian who's simply just wondering what atheists think about the subject of morality. I'm not gonna twist ur answers and try to preach at you or anything, so please don't be defensive or anything. It's just that I have been thinking about morality, and I wonder where atheists believe that their moral values originate from?

Altruistic behavior has been observed in various animals, which makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. If you are interested in this topic, I would recommend an article which was published in a issue of Nature Magazine (30 June 2006).

Since humans are another species of animal, we are programmed to behave altruistically towards family members and friends, which was everybody in the small bands of paleolithic societies.

With the invention of agriculture and the development of more complex societies, moral systems developed to advocate altruistic behavior towards people who weren't family members and friends. Eventually developing to the "universal love" concept common to a lot of religions.

I hoped that answered your question.

undefined
What he said.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(December 9, 2010 at 6:28 am)16three-john Wrote: Hey, I'm a christian who's simply just wondering what atheists think about the subject of morality. I'm not gonna twist ur answers and try to preach at you or anything, so please don't be defensive or anything. It's just that I have been thinking about morality, and I wonder where atheists believe that their moral values originate from?

Moral subjectivism is nihilism with a crutch, the word morality makes no sense in a subjectivist context.

Moral values don't "originate", morality is an evaluation, a standard by which we judge intentional action (mechanics and mental illness are not "morally wrong" for example).
Morality is an evaluation of how our intentional behavior impacts our fellow sentient beings. It is not something that can be objectively measured, as in you can't plug numbers into a spreadsheet to determine the course of action that produces the highest number of moral units.

The closest that any philosopher has come to measuring morality objectively was Jeremy Bentham who advanced the utilitarian ethic, by which morality could be measured by the promotion of the sum total of pleasure in the universe and reduction of the sum total of pain. Even this approach requires some subjective judgment, as measuring pleasure and pain are almost subjective by nature.

A belief in God does nothing to make moral issues any less subjective. Saying "GodWillsIt" is every bit as unsatisfying an answer as to why something is moral as "GodDidIt" is unsatisfying an answer to matters of science. Such simple statements don't fully and satisfyingly answer the whys and hows. If something is moral because God says so, then morality is by God's decision and therefore still relative to God's judgment.

Saying morality is subjective is not to be confused with amorality or "anything goes". It is to admit the issue is complex and requires judgment. Personally, I live by three commandments which I feel measure morality well enough: act with integrity, respect the rights of others and take responsibility for your actions. I came by these rules by my own analysis as to why I react negatively to some things, that is thinking something is "wrong" "evil or "immoral". Typically, things I find immoral are violations of these three rules. I have yet to find any exceptions and will add more to that list if I do.

I will say, in a rare praise of Christianity, that Jesus' admonishment that we do unto others as they would to us, essentially empathizing with others, is an excellent rule. The reverse, expect not from others what we aren't willing to do for them, is also useful. Such rules touch upon the very thing that morality is an evaluation of.

If Christians would spend more time adhering to that "golden rule" and less time trying to force their beliefs on others (an ironic violation of that rule), I think we'd all get along much better.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Morality comes from Evolution. Moral traits similar to humans have been observed in apes and in other creatures so I'd say that's clear indication that evolution plays a large part. It certainly has nothing to do with religion.

(December 9, 2010 at 11:06 am)Skipper Wrote: It certainly has nothing to do with religion.

First of all, religion is certainly a pile of bullshit. Second, I'm trying to keep this sorta more towards what atheists think of morality, so slamming on religion is pretty much uncalled for, especially because this thread has nothing to do with religion.
(December 9, 2010 at 7:16 am)ziggystardust Wrote: we are programmed to behave altruistically towards family members and friends

what exactly do you mean by 'programmed'? Like, we're born with a sort of moral understanding?

In regards to the origins of morality, most atheists I've met understand morality through naturalistic and evolutionary means, though you may meet an atheistic Buddhist or Taoist who is far more spiritual.

I believe I've already posted this before, but it does pertain to your question of morality so:

If you wanted a take on morality from an evolutionary perspective I'd recommend Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. Social cohesion is vital for the survival of many species, as such morality plays an important role in surviving and thriving as well.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]

Quote:First of all, religion is certainly a pile of bullshit. Second, I'm trying to keep this sorta more towards what atheists think of morality, so slamming on religion is pretty much uncalled for, especially because this thread has nothing to do with religion.

All that atheism requires is the lack of belief in god or gods. As such it has nothing to say on personal morals.

Saying that, not having a diety to blame/follow puts the onus on the individual, so atheists actions are ther own and they cannot blame the devil or god for thier actions.

Google 'god made me kill' and you can see what I mean. I got 7,730,000 hits.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: All that atheism requires is the lack of belief in god or gods. As such it has nothing to say on personal morals.

Saying that, not having a diety to blame/follow puts the onus on the individual, so atheists actions are ther own and they cannot blame the devil or god for thier actions

I'm just a bit confused by what exactly you're saying. Are you saying that atheists think morals aren't real? Or that they don't matter? Or that athiests ignore morality? I just can't tell which it is, again I'm just trying to understand

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4582 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13326 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 55843 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 19910 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21256 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11850 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22447 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9368 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11148 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4