Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90% of my job is routine...
90% of my job is routine...
The other ten percent kills me.

First of all sorry for this venting, normally I can control my emotions.  But I'm a bit drunk tonight.

A fair few of ye probably know I work for  An Garda Síochána ( the Irish police).  What may not be known   is that a large part of the stuff I see is child welfare stuff.

Most of what passes my desk is "mammy and daddy had a shouting match and the kids started crying".  Nothing major and nothing needing further attention.

But the other stuff.... For example six months ago a young girl committed suicide, she was being bullied at school and had previous child sexual abuse issues. The social workers had clowed the bullying, even I could see the bullying was an issue arguing that the Guards should do something (not that any Guard disagreed with me) but it was closed to the social workers so no dice.  Another example is a young girl, her father is a convicted child molester who isn't supposed to be within a country mile of her.  But her mother let the father in the house and a neighbour witnessed him feeling her up.

I fully believe in rehabilitation but there are some people I'd rather see "jump" off the top of the station, and would even "encourage" them myself.

Sorry again for venting, but sometimes it gets on me.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: 90% of my job is routine...
90% of most jobs are routine.

It's the other 10% that makes what you do important.
(September 4, 2018 at 3:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: 90% of most jobs are routine.

It's the other 10% that makes what you do important.

No solution for me. I just record and push on.

Home
(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: The other ten percent kills me.

First of all sorry for this venting, normally I can control my emotions.  But I'm a bit drunk tonight.

A fair few of ye probably know I work for  An Garda Síochána ( the Irish police).  What may not be known   is that a large part of the stuff I see is child welfare stuff.

Most of what passes my desk is "mammy and daddy had a shouting match and the kids started crying".  Nothing major and nothing needing further attention.

But the other stuff.... For example six months ago a young girl committed suicide, she was being bullied at school and had previous child sexual abuse issues. The social workers had clowed the bullying, even I could see the bullying was an issue arguing that the Guards should do something (not that any Guard disagreed with me) but it was closed to the social workers so no dice.  Another example is a young girl, her father is a convicted child molester who isn't supposed to be within a country mile of her.  But her mother let the father in the house and a neighbour witnessed him feeling her up.

I fully believe in rehabilitation but there are some people I'd rather see "jump" off the top of the station, and would even "encourage" them myself.

Sorry again for venting, but sometimes it gets on me.

You’ve gotta get that shit out, or it will eat you alive.  Don’t ever apologize for that.  I could never do what you do.  Even if I saw stuff like that once a year, it would be too much.  I can barely read the news without it ruining my day.  Sorry you have to carry that stuff around with you.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Thanks for doing what you do, I wouldn’t be able to handle it.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: The other ten percent kills me.

PWD is usually a bad idea.

(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: A fair few of ye probably know I work for  An Garda Síochána ( the Irish police).  What may not be known   is that a large part of the stuff I see is child welfare stuff.
I didn't but now I do. Odd, given we are countrymen.

(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: Most of what passes my desk is "mammy and daddy had a shouting match and the kids started crying".  Nothing major and nothing needing further attention.
Yeah, there's a lot of that "handbags at twenty paces" mess. Mostly, it is the verbals, but when it steps up a notch? That is a different game.

(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: But the other stuff.... For example six months ago a young girl committed suicide, she was being bullied at school and had previous child sexual abuse issues. The social workers had clowed the bullying, even I could see the bullying was an issue arguing that the Guards should do something (not that any Guard disagreed with me) but it was closed to the social workers so no dice.  Another example is a young girl, her father is a convicted child molester who isn't supposed to be within a country mile of her.  But her mother let the father in the house and a neighbour witnessed him feeling her up.
My eldest daughter is now my only son. Bullying? Oh boy does it happen in spades. And it has consequences. Too many people brush it off as the "slings and arrows" of robust school life. It bloody well isn't. Mine went so far as self harming. Luckily, both myself and my ex waded right in without delay. It has not recurred. Nevertheless, lots of parents simply close themselves off to such matters. Why? I guess they would rather not deal with it.

(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: I fully believe in rehabilitation but there are some people I'd rather see "jump" off the top of the station, and would even "encourage" them myself.
Agree. I, too, believe in rehabilitation. But there are some scrotes who will never be rehabilitated. Don't want to be rehabilitated and actively refuse and fight against rehabilitation. Sure, the alcoholic might fall off the wagon, or the junkie might go for "one last trip". Those are human failings. I don't really have much of a problem with those regardless however many times they might slip while trying to climb out of the pit. But the sorry few who are hell bent on wallowing in the pit? Those I could do without.

(September 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Wololo Wrote: Sorry again for venting, but sometimes it gets on me.
Not surprising, feel free. mi casa tu casa.
We had a saying back in the '70s, that no doubt dated from much earlier. "This job is 99% boredom and 1% shear terror." That 1% made the rest worth it. Seriously, after 13 years in Indiana I was very happy to be shot at.
@ Abbadon, wasn't post work drink, am on holidays. Don't drinkafter work (unless I'm stayng overnight) the 50km trip sees to that.

At everybody, I just neededto get it off my chest. If things get bad, don't worry I'll be straight on to the employee assistance service at work.

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2135 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1986 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2191 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My new job involves :) Megabullshit 17 1474 April 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What is job like in Motorcycle Showroom ? Megabullshit 13 887 April 1, 2019 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way. arewethereyet 75 5249 March 7, 2019 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  You had one job! Mr.Obvious 7 1234 December 7, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: viocjit
  What's your job? Loading Please Wait 103 8500 December 11, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Regina
  I have a new job! drfuzzy 29 2596 July 8, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Do you like your job and/or career? Mermaid 62 5514 January 16, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Mermaid