Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion
Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion
What a bloody awesome episode. It's very appropriate for me and just happened to be next on my list, as I am riddled with contempt/loathing for my frail biological state ATM due to a painful ailment. I remember a man once said to me, speaking of my friend's vegetarianism (which that friend described as being because "if I eat my flesh it feels like I'm eating my own flesh" - no animal welfare considerations in the picture) that it was due to self-loathing...revulsion? Or something else...
RE: Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion
That is actually one of few episodes from Voyager that I only watched once back in the 90s when it was on teevee because it's morbid and kind of boring. But if you say it's so great maybe I should revisit it?

Other episodes like that are "The Cloud" where Voyager penetrates a cloud that turns out to be a living being. Then that episode where Janeway and Paris evolve into lizards and maybe few more I can't remember.

Last two episodes I watched was when they in expanse devoid of stars and encounter those aliens that are throwing garbage around and then episode where they discover a simulation of Starfleet Headquarters being run by Species 8472.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Heh yeah, bloody wart faced pollutors.

S04E12 - Neelix dies and finds his peoples' afterlife was nothing but a fairytale. New favourite. Cracking atheist writers presumably.  Great
OK I re-watched the episode "Revulsion" after a long time and to be honest I do think of it as a bad episode although there were creepy anti human lines in that episode that got under my skin (so to speak) back in the day when I first watched it and they still sometimes come to my mind and those are

DEJAREN: That's how much power went into life support. Fifty nine point two percent. Just to keep them breathing, warm, comfortable.
EMH: They do require quite a bit of maintenance, don't they?
DEJAREN: I should know. I spent my entire existence cleaning up after them. When they were busy sleeping or reading, or engaging in their slovenly carnal pleasures.

What brings down episode for me is that premise is wrong, I mean this is what this evil hologram (Dejaren) is claiming "I exist as pure energy, but you depend on food and water to survive. Frankly, I find it disgusting. etc"

And that is just wrong. Even as a hologram Dejaren is not 'pure energy' he has hardware parts like 'hard disk', processors, chips... he is part of the computer and if you destroy the computer you destroy him. Because you could say in the same way that humans are 'energy beings' but then again they must have body parts to create their consciousness and when human organs start falling off so does the overall consciousness.

I don't think there is such a thing as "pure energy". Energy always has to be in something. Closest thing is light but even the light is particles.

So that is why. This Dejaren gives out this philosophical claims and the other characters, which are B'Elanna and EMH, don't engage in the conversation. Especially B'Elanna whose character pretty much trough the whole show is just tech babble, especially in first one or even first few seasons.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Although I love Kate Mulgrew( awesome in Orange is the New Black) - I don't care for Voyager....

Enterprise is a better series.
(January 5, 2019 at 10:17 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Although I love Kate Mulgrew( awesome in Orange is the New Black) - I don't care for Voyager....

Mad
(January 5, 2019 at 10:17 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Although I love Kate Mulgrew( awesome in Orange is the New Black) - I don't care for Voyager....

I was rather thinking how Mulgrew gave a really good, if not unique, role as a woman captain. I mean usually in these space shows women captains are like some butch lesbians, frequently angry, but Mulgrew preserved her effeminate, lady side while also having an authority over the crew.
But I do also remember back in a day Mulgrew mocking fans of the show a bit for liking Janeway, saying that male viewers see her as a motherly figure.
Hey, few days ago (16th) Voyager celebrated 24th birthday! So on that occasion here is the "original" captain of the Voyager Geneviève Bujold as Janeway before she was fired and replaced with Kate Mulgrew

I thought that the Star Trek franchise was slipping a bit during Voyager. But I watched the entire series a few months back and it was better the second time around, for some reason.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(January 19, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Hey, few days ago (16th) Voyager celebrated 24th birthday! So on that occasion here is the "original" captain of the Voyager Geneviève Bujold as Janeway before she was fired and replaced with Kate Mulgrew

I never knew that, but from that clip she's somewhat lacking in gravitas comparing to Janeway (without meaning to be ageist/sizeist/confidenceist).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1061 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1927 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Star Trek Picard - Teaser Fake Messiah 60 5972 October 7, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New Trek show... The Valkyrie 100 9095 August 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Anyone seen: Solo, the new Star Wars cash cow wanna-be Whateverist 65 6522 May 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 12991 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Star Trek Discovery, your thoughts? Mechaghostman2 65 12406 October 18, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Star Trek: Discovery BrianSoddingBoru4 47 9899 May 22, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why I don't view Star Wars the same way now. Brian37 58 12362 May 8, 2017 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I hate Star Trek fans doing this. Brian37 40 4770 September 1, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah