Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Discovery
Looks intriguing. Here's hoping the writing is up to the obviously high production values.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Star Trek: Discovery
I'm very excited about this, but trying temper that in case it falls flat.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
It looks good, but not like Star Trek? I'm tentatively excited still.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't know it kind of looks more like "Enterprise". I liked first 2 seasons of that show when they were trying to make it more trek like - when they were goofing around and exploring, but it didn't earn them ratings so they did that war thing, I kind of lost interest.

My point is when I remember Voyager it was kind of cheese show but I liked it because I felt I could relax and watch something moderately smart and entertaining and somewhat cheese. And that even goes for the rest of the ST shows.
But nowadays they tend to make serious shows that make me more nervous then relaxing. This was the thing of ST: it is in futuristic utopia so just relax. And to me they started ruining ST shows when they brought in those more serious uniforms that you could practically wear on the street and people would not notice. I mean I want that "payama" party show back like Voyager, TOS, TNG and DS9.
Already in this trailer you can see it looks kind of dark, grin, and "realistic" but who knows maybe they find some other values that will be interesting.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 19, 2017 at 7:17 am)Alex K Wrote: It looks good, but not like Star Trek? I'm tentatively excited still.

The "Star Trek" is there to make money.  Rolleyes
(May 19, 2017 at 8:06 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 19, 2017 at 7:17 am)Alex K Wrote: It looks good, but not like Star Trek? I'm tentatively excited still.

The "Star Trek" is there to make money.  Rolleyes

Cynic. Angry
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."
-- Sir Humphrey Appleby
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Can't wait to see this!
I just hope they tone down on time travel. Voy and Ent went a bit overboard on it.
It has Michelle Yeoh as one of the captains.  I think that is awesome!  
My understanding is that this news show is meant to jump from story to story. So season one here will showcase these 2 excellent female captains and their crews and adventures, but the next season will not necessarily continue to follow either of them.  This is telling the story of the Federation between Enterprise and ToS.  Sort of a history adventure, and in that sense it seems like it might be more like ToS.  I really hope it's good!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Make it so.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1062 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1940 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Star Trek Picard - Teaser Fake Messiah 60 5988 October 7, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion Duty 11 662 January 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  New Trek show... The Valkyrie 100 9100 August 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Anyone seen: Solo, the new Star Wars cash cow wanna-be Whateverist 65 6524 May 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 13006 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Star Trek Discovery, your thoughts? Mechaghostman2 65 12411 October 18, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why I don't view Star Wars the same way now. Brian37 58 12369 May 8, 2017 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I hate Star Trek fans doing this. Brian37 40 4773 September 1, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah