Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I don't view Star Wars the same way now.
Why I don't view Star Wars the same way now.
Yesterday I watched the marathon, not the new crap, but the original 3. Now what you are about to read isn't about any of the si fi stuff, but the story line and the morality of it. 

I will never object to the masterpiece it was/is. The costumes, the special effects, the acting, were all fantastic timeless and will always be part of movie history. Don't ask me about anything after the original three. I walked out of the theater during the first new one. 

Having said that. Looking back at the original 3 I do have a huge moral objections to the plot line.  Darth Vader blows up an entire planet, which makes him a genocidal monster. But at the end "Return of the Jedi" he becomes Anikan and Luke and Yoda and Ben forgive him. I have a huge problem with that now. It really makes me wonder if the plot of the movie was not modeled off the Saul/Paul story in the bible. 

To me that would be like Dhamer' s dad getting the prison to let him out because one of the victims forgave him. Doesn't the end of Return of the Jedi remind you of how Christians argue that you can be the worst in the world and still be forgiven? Darth Vader committed genocide. 

And did anyone forget the fact that Luke and Lea had a big huge sloppy mouth kiss only to find out they were brother and sister? EWE!
RE: Why I don't view Star Wars the same way now.
Well, Vader didn't order that planet blown up for starters.
(May 5, 2017 at 10:36 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Well, Vader didn't order that planet blown up for starters.

So? That's like saying Goebles didn't order the Genocide Hitler did. 

Darth was for it and was on the Death Star when they blew up Alderan.

Darth was part if it, and was all in until the lase scene where he fought Luke. No polite way to put it.
But he is so cool...

Besides, whos gonna testify against him? Better to forgive him and keep him calm than trigger him with accusations
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 5, 2017 at 11:34 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: But he is so cool...

Besides, whos gonna testify against him? Better to forgive him and keep him calm than trigger him with accusations

HA! Big Grin No shit! 

And then there's this.

(May 5, 2017 at 11:11 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 5, 2017 at 10:36 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Well, Vader didn't order that planet blown up for starters.

So? That's like saying Goebles didn't order the Genocide Hitler did. 

Darth was for it and was on the Death Star when they blew up Alderan.

Darth was part if it, and was all in until the lase scene where he fought Luke. No polite way to put it.

And he didn't order the planet blown up.
I gave up on them when it became clear they were simply going to make the same movie every time.
If I were more coherent this morning I'd try to say something about how the constancy of our identity is a fiction and his having been turned by the sith didn't fundamentally corrupt all of who he is ..
I wouldn't call him responsible for the destruction of Alderaan. Grand Moff Tarkin outranked Vader (who didn't actually have a rank within the Empire, he was just Palpatine's lackey.) If Vader tried to stop him then Tarkin surely would have went to the Emperor about it, and it eventually would have happened anyway. But Vader did commit a genocide against the Jedi in the prequels and between Episodes III and IV. I mean, he slaughtered younglings. I know you said that you're only focusing on the original three, but the prequels are all about Anakin/Vader and they are a part of George Lucas' vision.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(May 5, 2017 at 11:50 am)Minimalist Wrote: I gave up on them when it became clear they were simply going to make the same movie every time.

I guess you never watch anything made since 1905 in Whollyweird?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1066 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1965 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  I don't know why the world hates me. Brian37 31 1757 April 8, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  One Way To Avoid War.. Brian37 33 1746 March 9, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Star Trek Picard - Teaser Fake Messiah 60 6010 October 7, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion Duty 11 669 January 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Anyone seen: Solo, the new Star Wars cash cow wanna-be Whateverist 65 6535 May 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Same bird; same pain; same story. WinterHold 2 367 April 29, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  3 Versions of the same Song vulcanlogician 11 1569 April 22, 2018 at 5:11 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 13068 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama