Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Discovery, your thoughts?
Star Trek Discovery, your thoughts?
So I just watched the new Star Trek show the other day. It's on television, not CBS's equivalent of Netflix, so that's cool. The general look and feel is closer to that of JJ Abram's Star Trek than it is the previous series. The political commentary doesn't bother me too much, as Star Trek has always been a liberal show with commentary on modern politics and social attitudes. It made fun of Trump supporters by just having them a bunch of idiotic Klingons, and I kinda like that. I think it's funny. I also think it's funny that people are pissing and moaning because a black woman is in a lead role. Like, who the fuck cares one way or the other?

My biggest problem with it though, is that it doesn't feel like Star Trek. Where is the feeling of exploration, and being isolated in space? This isn't Star Wars, it's Star Trek, TREK damn it! I want them to explore new worlds, not have Antifa vs. Nazis battle it out in space. 

So those are my thoughts. What are yours?
RE: Star Trek Discovery, your thoughts?
(September 27, 2017 at 12:08 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: So I just watched the new Star Trek show the other day. It's on television, not CBS's equivalent of Netflix, so that's cool. The general look and feel is closer to that of JJ Abram's Star Trek than it is the previous series. The political commentary doesn't bother me too much, as Star Trek has always been a liberal show with commentary on modern politics and social attitudes. It made fun of Trump supporters by just having them a bunch of idiotic Klingons, and I kinda like that. I think it's funny. I also think it's funny that people are pissing and moaning because a black woman is in a lead role. Like, who the fuck cares one way or the other?

My biggest problem with it though, is that it doesn't feel like Star Trek. Where is the feeling of exploration, and being isolated in space? This isn't Star Wars, it's Star Trek, TREK damn it! I want them to explore new worlds, not have Antifa vs. Nazis battle it out in space. 

So those are my thoughts. What are yours?

I'm not a fan

Never liked JJ abram's version of star trek . Don't like the alien redesigns (Romulans look awful and blue Klingons wthat the heck). Hate the fact were in the past again .

We had so much to explore after DS9. The gamma quadrant for example. It seems like a waste.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

How many permutations of Klingons and what they do and how the Federation interacts with them do we need to see ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If you have Klingons, wipe harder.
(September 27, 2017 at 1:01 am)vorlon13 Wrote: How many permutations of Klingons and what they do and how the Federation interacts with them do we need to see ??
Their have been two 

The degenerated Klingons  a result of using human DNA to cure a horrible virus that threatened to wipe the Klingon race . 

[Image: 45a2a846bda2f0b810dcf2b025b49016--michae...ek-tos.jpg]

The post and pre Degenerate Klingons before the virus and after the Klingons figured out how to fix the problem 

[Image: f3671249b51345020e5851f894f52cee.jpg]

As for why we need Klingons there one of the big three powers in the Alpha/Beta quadrant .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

So you must have not been a fan of Deep Space 9 either?

I haven't seen the new show yet, though. I'll have to try and hunt it down this weekend.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The creators & co. wants us to accept the new Star Trek and as such I guess it could be interesting it is kind of hard to judge from the first episode. SFX and prosthetics are better and more convincing while interior of Enterprise doesn't have it usual cozy look like it usualy was for starships in ST, it's more like submarine. Klingons are re-imagined like religious fanatics. It all seems more murky and brooding and you can't expect to see characters like Dr. Hologram any time soon.

But I guess there was one thing that you could admire in "old" shows is that they had their own thing while this new one seems will be influenced by recent drama shows like "Sopranos", "Mad Men" and "Battlestar Galactica".
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Haven't seen it.

I've never been a fan of Retro Trek.

To me, an ideal Trek series will be set a few years aftee the end of DS9 or Voyager.

As for Discovery, I think I'll wait for the book...
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 27, 2017 at 2:11 am)Aroura Wrote: So you must have not been a fan of Deep Space 9 either?

I haven't seen the new show yet, though. I'll have to try and hunt it down this weekend.

I love DS9

Inuit Proverb

(September 27, 2017 at 1:47 am)Tizheruk Wrote: The degenerated Klingons  a result of using human DNA to cure a horrible virus that threatened to wipe the Klingon race . 

Not actually canon. Roddenberry himself the lack of ridgy Klingons in TOS was due to budget and makeup limitations.

It's another idiocy brought to you by Berman and Braga retconning an explanation they didn't need into Duchess Archer and Friends.

(September 27, 2017 at 3:58 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Haven't seen it.

I've never been a fan of Retro Trek.

To me, an ideal Trek series will be set a few years aftee the end of DS9 or Voyager.

As for Discovery, I think I'll wait for the book...

Or give us Captain Sulu of the Excelsior. That's the only retro-Trek I'd accept.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1061 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1927 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Star Trek Picard - Teaser Fake Messiah 60 5976 October 7, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6395 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Thoughts on these art exhibits. brewer 16 1212 February 14, 2019 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion Duty 11 662 January 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  New Trek show... The Valkyrie 100 9097 August 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Anyone seen: Solo, the new Star Wars cash cow wanna-be Whateverist 65 6522 May 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 12996 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Star Trek: Discovery BrianSoddingBoru4 47 9899 May 22, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Jackalope