Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:55 pm

Poll: Should incest between consenting adults be a crime?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
13.79%
4 13.79%
No.
48.28%
14 48.28%
Other.
13.79%
4 13.79%
I can neither confirm nor deny whether I was ever on the grassy knoll.
24.14%
7 24.14%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should incest between consenting adults be a crime?

This came up in my reading and seemed like a good topic. I haven't formed any conclusions one way or another, but would like to solicit opinions. The article notes that there are places where it is not a crime. Should it be illegal? Even if it were not illegal, would you consider it immoral? Why or why not?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Should incest between consenting adults be a crime?
I'd rather treat it similarly to adultery. Not something you get locked up for, but still heavily discouraged. We should all be aware of the kind of problems incest brings.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 24, 2018 at 9:53 am)Chad32 Wrote: I'd rather treat it similarly to adultery. Not something you get locked up for, but still heavily discouraged. We should all be aware of the kind of problems incest brings.

Specifics?
I’d rather see it treated, in most cases like a teacher f’ing a student which acknowledges the abuse of inherent authority and couple that with punishment for discouraging against unwanted societal burden of undesirable offspring. That being said it won’t stop people if that’s what they want, I just don’t get why they would want it.

Side note, adultry is still a crime in some places on the books although rarely enforced.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
No as long as no children come of it .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(November 24, 2018 at 9:48 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Should incest between consenting adults be a crime?

This came up in my reading and seemed like a good topic.  I haven't formed any conclusions one way or another, but would like to solicit opinions.  The article notes that there are places where it is not a crime.  Should it be illegal?  Even if it were not illegal, would you consider it immoral?  Why or why not?

There is an evolutionary reason we don't fuck family members closely genetically related. It is still a "EWE" factor for most humans. 

In many species, while incest does occur related species give off chemical scents that denote relationship. But in the reality of biological consequences of a relationship between genetically related species in a group, it will not always end up in something fucked up if an offspring is produced within a related group.

But no, sorry, I hate this argument because once we point out that reality, the theist will claim atheists are for no rules and public orgies. The irony with the mythologies of Abraham are stark, in that of the Adam and Eve mythology, and especially the limited gene pool of the one family left over with the flood mythology.

In scientific reality, a sexual encounter between related family in any given species will not always end up in something fucked up. But the reality is also in evolution that diversity is a majority goal. Evolution would not work if there were no shuffling of Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, and Cytosine.
After dating a girl for six months I found out she was my third cousin.
Kept dating for a year after.
I doubt being more closely related would have stopped us.

(November 24, 2018 at 10:02 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 24, 2018 at 9:48 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Should incest between consenting adults be a crime?

This came up in my reading and seemed like a good topic.  I haven't formed any conclusions one way or another, but would like to solicit opinions.  The article notes that there are places where it is not a crime.  Should it be illegal?  Even if it were not illegal, would you consider it immoral?  Why or why not?

There is an evolutionary reason we don't fuck family members closely genetically related. It is still a "EWE" factor for most humans. 

This may be true, but should it be illegal when there is no possibility of children, such as when the man has had a vasectomy, or the woman infertile? What if they are practicing responsible birth control? Is the "ewe" factor alone enough to justify discouraging or criminalizing otherwise harmless, consensual conduct?

I take it you're referring to the potential for genetically handicapped children to be born. I'll note two things. First, my understanding is that the risk is exaggerated. Second, if we forbid sex for that reason, do we also forbid sex among others who might be promoting genetic abnormalities by having sex, such as parents who both carry the Tay Sachs gene? Once we go down that road, do we allow other justifications for denying people the right to have sex and have children because the consequences in terms of the children's well-being or quality of life are likely to be undesirable? Do we forbid mothers of down syndrome babies to have sex? (I don't offhand know if there is an increased risk for such mothers, but I think you know the type of thing that I mean.) Do we extend such reasons to whether the parents are unintelligent? Do we forbid black people from having sex because a black child is more likely to have a lower quality of life than a white child?

I started this thread with the intent of talking about siblings that are related, and I would like that to be the focus of the discussion, but there is also the issue of criminalizing sex between half-brothers and half-sisters, or even those not genetically related but related through adoption or marriage. I think that represents a separate problem, and people can comment on it if they like, but I think the primary objections are about sex between genetically related siblings, so that's probably the most salient case.

Quote:The taboo against incest runs deep, as the social psychologist Jonathan Haidt demonstrated when he told experimental subjects about Julie and Mark, adult siblings who take a holiday together and decide to have sex, just to see what it would be like. In the story, Julie is already on the Pill, but Mark uses a condom, just to be safe. They both enjoy the experience, but decide not to do it again. It remains a secret that brings them even closer.

Haidt then asked his subjects whether it was okay for Julie and Mark to have sex. Most said that it was not, but when Haidt asked them why, they offered reasons that were already excluded by the story—for example, the dangers of inbreeding, or the risk that their relationship would suffer. When Haidt pointed out to his subjects that the reasons they had offered did not apply to the case, they often responded: “I can’t explain it, I just know it’s wrong.” Haidt refers to this as “moral dumbfounding.”

~ Ethics in the Real World: 82 Brief Essays on Things That Matter
(November 24, 2018 at 10:00 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(November 24, 2018 at 9:53 am)Chad32 Wrote: I'd rather treat it similarly to adultery. Not something you get locked up for, but still heavily discouraged. We should all be aware of the kind of problems incest brings.

Specifics?

Birth defects in offspring. Not that all incestuous relationships have offspring, but bringing abortion into the subject won't do a lot to redeem the idea. Even though abortion is legal. Not every adultery is going to transmit STDs, but we discourage it anyway.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'll leave that up to the particular society. As long as the products of incest activity don't directly effect me I really don't care. 

Products is not limited to offspring.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greta Thunberg: adults who attack her ‘must feel threatened’ EgoDeath 148 8057 October 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 688 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Uh Oh! War on the way between Saudi Arabia and Iran? A Theist 13 1309 November 7, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Any Crime, Follow The Money! Minimalist 15 4061 July 21, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two dead after hate crime in Portland Clueless Morgan 76 22054 June 7, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  The hate crime They've all been waiting for. The Grand Nudger 13 2066 April 19, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Difference between rights and claims........ Brian37 10 3719 November 22, 2015 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37