Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Intelligent Design
Real Intelligent Design
I am in favor of intelligent design.

What' s that mean?

It means - all design engineers - listen up.

Just because you can think of a feature for a product does not mean you should incorperate it into the design. Frequently we end users are annoyed by, or even harmed by these thoughtless additions.

Example - adding an SOS sending sequence to the single button flashlight. Stupid. There' s maybe 8 people left on the planet who know morse code. Why bother? The button should do two things - turn the light on and turn the light off. I don' t need the thing flashing like a disco on Saturday night when I' m trying to find the bolt I dropped under the car.

Don' t even get me started on car stereos. A fucking remote control? Seriously?

What design features would you be happier without?
RE: Real Intelligent Design
Well, my children can speak.  That count? Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 6, 2018 at 3:57 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Well, my children can speak.  That count?  Wink

Simple fix. Give them all credit cards to the National Bank of Gae Bolga, that way they won't need to speak to a teller Big Grin

Stop/Start in vehicles saves nothing in the long run if you add in the wear and tear, etc
Samsung fridges where you tap the opaque glass and it turns transparent. Adds many hundreds of dollars to implement, uses more electricity than it saves Dunno

I can give you my top 100 engineering failures if you like Big Grin
But then, it's not really about engineering per se, it's about moving product to a superficial society who are so insecure that they desperately try to keep up with the Jones'
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Braille keypads at drive-up cash machines.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 6, 2018 at 5:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Braille keypads at drive-up cash machines.

Boru

Government at work.

Expect stupid.
Oh, and another one - stupid cell phone has a stupid feature that stupidly allows incoming stupid calls.  I hate that. Stupid pocket robot.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 6, 2018 at 5:34 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 6, 2018 at 5:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Braille keypads at drive-up cash machines.

Boru

Government at work.

Expect stupid.

Because nobody ever walks up to a drive-up atm.
Here, you aren't allowed to. Also, how would a blind person FIND the drive-up cash machine?

Boru
(December 6, 2018 at 7:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Here, you aren't allowed to. Also, how would a blind person FIND the drive-up cash machine?

Boru

Maybe taking a walk with a neighbor?
Ok, fair point.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Star Trek Ship Design Amarok 68 5263 March 7, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How intelligent am I? Edwardo Piet 33 2468 May 23, 2016 at 8:49 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Practicable Design of House in the 21st century Azurisy 7 2238 May 27, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Why are intelligent brits such snobs Richi1 18 3117 December 28, 2013 at 2:22 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Kanye West releases CRAZY T-shirt design! CleanShavenJesus 13 3411 July 17, 2013 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Graphic Design! Archbow 1 874 March 16, 2010 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Website design Darwinian 1 1081 August 14, 2009 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Operating Systems: Choice and design moleque 22 9840 June 5, 2009 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc