Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:47 pm

Poll: Is the backlash against Liam Neeson's remarks justified?
This poll is closed.
Yes, definitely
30.00%
6 30.00%
It's a bit excessive.
10.00%
2 10.00%
No, absolutely not.
45.00%
9 45.00%
Whatever
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
Looking through the controversy about Liam Neeson's recent interview... wow.

Just so we're absolutely clear, the scenario he described of what he was thinking for about a week was nothing short of monstrous, and if he actually went through with his murderous fantasies on some unsuspecting black person, it would be utterly indefensible even if he actually found the guy who raped his friend. And yet, as he described it, he made abundantly clear that he was ashamed he ever thought like that. He's describing how he briefly gave in to the racism that most white people end up struggling with, whether consciously or unconsciously, and at least made the attempt at trying to overcome it.

And, of course, there's a lot of outrage about the whole thing. On the one hand, of course what he admitted to was horrible. But to find that for so many his remorse about the whole ordeal means nothing (the fact that he framed his realisation in terms of revenge and not race relations probably has something to do with it, but given that Northern Ireland, where this appears to have happened, is the whitest nation on Earth might explain why his immediate thoughts were on the futility of revenge in general than on the specific racial dimension) concerns me if only because, well, if you want to actually stem the tide of racism, maybe giving people some incentive to change (as opposed to decrying them even as they apologise and express remorse) might actually help with that. 

The more I look at it, the more obvious it becomes that the zero-tolerance approach that many take to situations like this seems counterproductive. And now, we keep running the risk of becoming Chuck McGill, sabotaging a former crook's attempt at reforming because of that past, and inadvertently making sure he no longer sees a point in becoming a better person.

Accountability for horrible deeds done by unrepentant assholes is one thing, but what will punishing someone for thoughts decades ago they knew were wrong before they acted upon them accomplish?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
We are flawed. That's something the Bible got right - albeit rather obvious.

Now, we need to deal with those known flaws as best we know how.

I won't pretend to know how to best deal with them, specifically.

I think it should be obvious that we should approach this problem the same way we should approach any other: logically. IMO, we should recognize our flaws and figure out ways to improve ourselves.

Doesn't seem that complicated in principle.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
It rather seems that Liam tried to say that he was struggling with racism like someone who struggles with alcoholism.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Yeah, and it seems he figured out how horrible it was a lot quicker than many alcoholics do with their addictions.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Or racists, for that matter. I think that the difference between committed and inadvertant racism lies in that moment of realization. When it dawns on you "fuck, why did I think that?". There are pretty much two ways it can go from that point forward, and down one of those paths there's no amount of incentivization that matters.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
When the issue becomes too political rationality goes out the window. Liam Neeson is basically admitting to being a normal male in a culture where cracking heads has been a pretty common practice. Do you think that some Ulster heads wouldn't be randomly cracked in response to a nice Catholic girl being assaulted by a Protestant perp?

So Neeson spent a week being an angry irrational racist because he was outraged at the crime that had been committed against someone that he deeply cared about, and the only thing that he knew about the perpetrator was that they were black, and he just wanted to lash out at anyone who generally matched that description. Yeah, that's totally normal. Why the hell would we pretend that it's not? He recognized what a nasty rabbit hole he was going to go down, and he stepped back from it like your average sane person.

But it's a politically super-charged issue, so bring on the sanctimonious libtards.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
One could hope that looking for some darkie to lynch is less common today than it was 40 years ago, even if "cracking heads" is as common as ever. More than anything, it's an example of a celeb stepping in brand damaging shit. IDK why people rarely think of celebs as people with all of peoples faults and weirdness and regrets and misdeeds past and present, but it's a thing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Sounds like he would have targeted any race/nationality given the circumstances. 

Was he a racist on some level previously? I don't know. Was he a temporary racist, definitely. Can we substitute temporary insanity for the racism, maybe. 

Wanting vengeance can motivate many undesirable behaviors.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Black bastard sounds pretty specific, lol.
I don't know what the backlash is but if he's saying he once thought it and doesn't anymore I don't see what the big deal is.

If a black guy said he once wanted to kill will white people but killed no one and now he's remorseful then there's nothing much else to say about it.

I'm assuming it was a long time ago, if it was last week that he did it then yeh I can understand the outrage a lot more.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 722 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  More Race Hysteria from SJW's Neo-Scholastic 260 29017 October 14, 2017 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Michigan Pedophile Rapist Gets joint custody of son of one of his rape victims Divinity 23 6235 October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The Cheeto in Chief apparently wants to rape our national monuments Jackalope 2 811 April 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Vote Rigging Discovered In Canadian Tory Leadership Race Amarok 0 504 March 17, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  BTW, that's gang rape, not misdemeanor assault vorlon13 76 9622 December 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  British woman 'arrested in Dubai after reporting rape' zebo-the-fat 28 3634 November 19, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York? GUBU 783 68921 October 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Catholic Church Opposes Removing Statute of Limitations for Child Rape SteelCurtain 89 9201 May 1, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Amherst Student Was Expelled for Rape. But He Was Raped, Evidence Shows. ErGingerbreadMandude 23 4689 December 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet