Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Christianity EVIL?
Is Christianity EVIL?
Here's my philosophy essay on Christianity. Please enjoy!

(Note: the arguments are used on Christianity but are still valid for every religion with similar traits)

To explore this question, I decided to become completely devoted to church for a week. That meant I went to every Bible reading and every Youth Bible Study session that fit my school schedule and my age. To top off the week, I went to the Sunday Sermon. The Christian community greeted me with open arms (because I lied about being Christian) and was very warm and approachable. I must say I enjoyed my time with the Christians before and after each Bible-related event. We chatted about school, life and all the other small-talk subjects we’ve trained ourselves on. But when we began discussing religion, I felt anxious and almost scared. The devotion the Christians had to their God was astounding and frightening. I myself have read the Bible a total of two times, but the Christians seemed to have memorized half the book! They shared stories about praying every night and their loving bond with God. They talked about God like ghost-hunters talked about ghosts. They explained that they felt God when they walked to school, when they went home and when they did their homework. But what scared me the most was their ignorance of the world outside their own. It wasn’t that they weren’t aware of the atrocities occurring in this world; it was that they seemed unable to accept anything that wasn’t coherent with their beliefs. Like all teenagers, our conversations slowly drifted towards school and our futures. When I began talking about science, I sensed a slight amount of unease among my fellow church-goers. Then one of them boldly asked me if I was in a public school and if I believed in evolution. To keep my cover, I answered yes and no respectively. But when I said that I attended a public school, they gave me a strange look, as if I was the one who was being brought up in lies. And indeed that’s truly what they believed.

Though my temporary Christian friends did accept some scientific advancements like the discovery of atoms and the laws of gravity, they seemed to be in the grey area with things pertaining to astronomy, biology and other sciences that endangered their religion. And thus we reach the first piece of evidence that Christianity is evil: it covers our eyes and prevents us from seeing. It forces its people to abandon logic and reason for faith. It can be reasoned that Christianity is the force that prevented and still prevents us from reaching other universes, from discovering time travel and all those other scientific fantasies. Had the scientists and the brains of the middle-ages not been imprisoned and burned, who knows what we might have today. With each new progression in science, we get more Christian protestors explaining why it’s immoral and that we should stop. But if there truly is a creator, wouldn’t he want us to explore and discover his other creations? Why did he build us with such large brains if he didn’t want us to be smart? And indeed I saw around me bright teens who have potential to be leaders in their fields. But like an evil fog, Christianity clouded their intelligence and their potential for knowledge. That night I felt truly outside of the group. But what happened on Wednesday shook me more than anything.

At the beginning of the session, we were introduced to an eighteen year old teen called Robert K. He came up to us and greeted us like any good person does, but a minute later I found myself disturbed by the sound of a person sobbing. Robert K was weeping at the pews. The reason? He felt the glory of God and didn’t know how to express it. Though I did feel happy for him (I don’t know why), I was shocked and disturbed. The only other time I’ve seen such devotion and trust cast upon a stranger was in Nazi Germany. I’m sure you’ve all seen footage of people at Nazi Rallies crying about their savior and beloved hero, Hitler. The Nazis weren’t really bad people; they were just blinded by an evil yet charismatic character. Religious devotion to dictators is extremely dangerous. It is the only thing that allows a human to create irrational and unjustified hatred. The Nazis truly hated the Jews, but it wasn’t due to a rational reason, it was because Hitler said they should.

Such devotion is what caused the crusades, which in total killed well over six million people, and not just soldiers, but women and children as well. The crusades were a series of holy wars created to attempt to eradicate Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Protestants and all the other religions that “opposed” Christianity. The blind devotion caused hundreds of thousands of witch burnings and killings in the name of the Good Lord. Christianity fueled the hate towards those who didn’t accept western ideas, which at the time, was basically the entire non-white population. So it’s safe to say that some of the first ethnic cleansings were done in the name of Christianity. Again, like the Nazis, the murdering Christians weren’t evil; it was what guided them that were evil. And to this day, Christians are doing savage and hateful acts like burning Korans and bashing homosexuals at their funerals. I feel a surge of rage and disgust every time I hear a story of a father who’s been treated to the brutality of Christian protestors at his son’s funeral. Why does the Bible place so much hate on those who are different? When I see the racial and sexual elitism that is so common in the Bible, I see a mustached German extremist standing in front of millions bashing those who he deemed inferior.

The Bible isn’t just racist, it’s sexist. Passages like "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church" (I Corinthians 14:34-35) don’t even dampen the message of hate like sensible right wing extremists. You would be hard pressed, as I was, to find a story of the Bible that displayed a woman as intelligent. The Bible always seems to portray women as curious, stupid, weak, mischievous and driven by nothing but animal desires. When compared to the image of a man, who is brave, noble, trustworthy and intelligent, one should easily realize the obvious misogyny. This was obvious in my church. Not once have I seen a women lead the sessions and not once have I see a women preach or teach. But I guess, as the Christians believe, that’s not their place is it?

Is it not obvious that a book that says minorities are inferior and tells women to “know their places” is itself extremely evil? Should a book that hinders our intelligence not be locked up or thrown away? I have but scratched the surface of the hated found within the Holy Christian Book. If you read or reread it, I’m sure you’ll find even more messages on how to treat those who are mentally ill, those who are deformed, those who are young and those who I’ve previously mentioned. Thus I conclude, beyond a doubt that Christianity is evil.
RE: Is Christianity EVIL?
Quote:“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was so much more succinct.
And yet confused.
Great essay, though attacking foreign populaces and religious groups was done long before the Church. That's always been an aspect of war, but that doesn't detract from how barbaric and stupid it was.
Chuck Wrote:And yet confused.

Aren't we all?
DoubtVsFaith Wrote:
Chuck Wrote:And yet confused.

Aren't we all?

No.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
You can't know that.
But you must allow for the possibility of one being in an unconfused state. Never mind how improbable.
I'm confused on a lot of things but not everything.
How do you know what things you are confused about, what you aren't and what you think you aren't but actually are?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2141 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 701 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5570 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 9940 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2526 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 19704 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15452 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The forces of good and evil are related Foxaèr 11 3542 October 2, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45430 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20453 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis