Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Objective Morality and Subjective Morality
Objective Morality and Subjective Morality
After having repeatedly heard (Mainly atheists) say that "Objective Morality isn't real." One problem I have with this is that what they are trying to say is that MORAL REALISM cannot exist, objective morality is when one bases their morality around something (Utilitarianism is an example of this). I cannot get around the fact that moral statements can be broken down into If (A) Then (B) Therefore ©. I have heard the fallacy that its fallacious that you cant get a therefore out of an if. I have also heard these same people turn around and say that there is definitely an objective truth or hint that they believe this (Which would require an objective morality...most of this comes from youtube). One of my questions: (at least a basic version of this question is...) how can one say that moral realism cannot exist (...not to be confused with objective morality) when there is no real evidence for either side? Also, being as there are facts in philosophy, how is it so far fetched that there are not also moral facts? Most people whom make this claim tend to turn around and give reasons for why they think or believe a certain way, but if it were all subjective, then it shouldn't matter what facts one can give, being as all experience is different. The previous sentence seems also to contradict with their belief in subjectivity. There is also a contradiction here, if all facts with in subjectivity are...subjective...then how does one explain the objective fact that all of morality is subjective? All that is known is that no one has yet come up with either a third alternative to both subjective/moral realism, and that no one has yet thought of a moral system that is in fact the (possibly obvious) moral truth. Also, should it matter if there is no such thing as moral realism if the philosophy works better? (Better is both a subjective and objective thing)

Moral realism is the meta-ethical view which claims that:

1. Ethical sentences express propositions.
2. Some such propositions are true.
3. Those propositions are made true by objective features of the world, independent of subjective opinion.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_realism)

Subjectivity refers to the subject and his or her perspective, feelings, beliefs, and desires.[1] In philosophy, the term is usually contrasted with objectivity.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity)

RE: Objective Morality and Subjective Morality
(January 17, 2011 at 8:29 am)Sulthus Wrote: After having repeatedly heard (Mainly atheists) say that "Objective Morality isn't real." One problem I have with this is that what they are trying to say is that MORAL REALISM cannot exist, objective morality is when one bases their morality around something (Utilitarianism is an example of this). I cannot get around the fact that moral statements can be broken down into If (A) Then (B) Therefore ©.

The key is the 'if'. The 'if' statement may not be true, hence moral non-realism.

Quote:One of my questions: (at least a basic version of this question is...) how can one say that moral realism cannot exist (...not to be confused with objective morality) when there is no real evidence for either side?

Well, there's the Argument from Relativity and the Argument from Queerness for a start. Moral facts would be pretty odd things if they existed.

Quote:Also, being as there are facts in philosophy, how is it so far fetched that there are not also moral facts?

'Being as there are facts about the Moon, how is so far fetched that there should be facts about God?' See the similarity here?

Quote: Most people whom make this claim tend to turn around and give reasons for why they think or believe a certain way, but if it were all subjective, then it shouldn't matter what facts one can give, being as all experience is different. The previous sentence seems also to contradict with their belief in subjectivity. There is also a contradiction here, if all facts with in subjectivity are...subjective...then how does one explain the objective fact that all of morality is subjective?

You seem to be confusing moral non-realism with epistemological subjectivism. People can still make factual claims about the status of morality if they're moral non-realists.

Quote:All that is known is that no one has yet come up with either a third alternative to both subjective/moral realism, and that no one has yet thought of a moral system that is in fact the (possibly obvious) moral truth.
There are many alternative non-realist theories to moral subjectivism, if that's what you're talking about e.g. error theory.

Quote:Also, should it matter if there is no such thing as moral realism if the philosophy works better? (Better is both a subjective and objective thing)

Here, I agree. Wink
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
RE: Objective Morality and Subjective Morality
Morality is essentially pragmatic, not based on any transcendent ideals nor indeed on any external moral authority,which the notion of objective morality implies..

Here 'pragamtism' means 'perceived self interest',the most powerful and most common human motive,based on the most powerful instinct;survival. In my opinion, that makes morality subjective.

IF morality were objective, I would expect easily recognised, universal,absolute, moral imperatives. So far, I've never actually come across even one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1821 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3120 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 36575 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5714 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8266 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3534 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13670 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4425 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Issues Azu 13 2369 September 26, 2017 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Autonomous vehicle objective morality! ignoramus 0 797 July 26, 2017 at 5:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus