Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Zealand Bans Assault Weapons
New Zealand Bans Assault Weapons
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-zeala...4fec342b43

Still a developing story.

That was fast!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: New Zealand Bans Assault Weapons
Locks are made for honest people.
(March 20, 2019 at 10:57 pm)chimp3 Wrote: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-zeala...4fec342b43

That was fast!

The result I expected, from a lucid people who are more interested in the safety of their citizens than with upsetting a few gun nuts.( of which there are very few in New Zealand. ) There is no 'gun lobby' to speak of in NZ. Thank the FSM.

Oz did the same thing in 1996, after the Pt Arthur massacre. We also had a massive buy back of perhaps 'questionable' guns. No questions asked. The government spent around $200 million of OUR money. I was never happier with an expense incurred by government. Today it is very difficult to legally own any kind of firearm here.

Currently NZ does not have any significant gun registration laws. Around 80% of all guns are unregistered.

I would love to see the result of anyone even suggesting such a ban in the US.
(March 20, 2019 at 11:35 pm)fredd bear Wrote:
(March 20, 2019 at 10:57 pm)chimp3 Wrote: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-zeala...4fec342b43

That was fast!

The result I expected, from a lucid people who are more interested in the safety of their citizens than with upsetting a few gun nuts.( of which there are very few in New Zealand. ) There is no 'gun lobby' to speak of in NZ. Thank the FSM.

Oz did the same thing in 1996, after the Pt Arthur massacre. We also had a massive buy back of perhaps 'questionable' guns. No questions asked. The government spent around $200 million of OUR money. I was never happier with an expense incurred by government. Today it is very difficult to legally own any kind of firearm here.

Currently NZ does not have any significant gun registration laws. Around 80% of all guns are unregistered.

I would love to see the result of anyone even suggesting such a ban in the US.

That's part of the problem. This prick bought the guns legally on one class of licence and then modified them to a level that would require another class of licence to purchase.

NZ is talking about a buy back scheme as well. It's a fair idea. The only ones who should face consequences (lose money) are those who panic bought this type of weapon after the terrorist attack.
Dying to live, living to die.
NZ has one incident and the law gets changed in less than a week, the USA dozens and changes nothing, I know where I would prefer to live.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

More than assault weapons. I do believe it includes any semi auto, so we can be talking about handguns too. And they are limiting clip size for all firearms. Good for them. And only took a week. America could stand to listen to our allies.
The difference between the US and NZ on this issue is that, when 50 people are shot to death, Kiwis are able to grasp that guns might (mind you I said 'might') be part of the problem.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 21, 2019 at 6:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The difference between the US and NZ on this issue is that, when 50 people are shot to death, Kiwis are able to grasp that guns might (mind you I said 'might') be part of the problem.

Boru

Yes, but moreso our worship than the object itself. 40 years ago the NRA went from being a safety org to being a industry lobby. Since then the industry marketing has marketed firearms like toys and the tools of comic book super heros. There was a time when firearms in America were treated like the deadly objects they are and we had a better grasp of treating them as such.

Americans have to simply face the fact that this isn't 1776, and just like we don't use rotary phones en mass anymore, firearm technology is no longer merely muskets. 

The worst part of how the far right reacts to things like this, is that the fact remains that NZ still is not banning all firearms, but merely doing the responsible thing to insure they are kept out of the wrong hands.

And the other nonsense the right doesn't face is that they keep using the bullshit line, "Don't punish responsible gun owners." The NZ shooter had no record at the time of buy, and legally bought them. That blows away the argument of trying to make legal vs illegal, the issue. One can fly under the radar, be disturbed and buy a firearm legally only to end up doing sick shit like that.
GOOD!
Illegitimi non carborundum
(March 20, 2019 at 11:00 pm)no one Wrote: Locks are made for honest people.

Locks don't prevent someone with no record, legally buying them and harming someone after a legal buy.

It is nonsense to claim someone with no record cant go on to hurt someone else after a legal buy. The NZ shooter legally bought his.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Zealand - you gotta be this old to have rights. onlinebiker 123 5335 December 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Weapons in hotel, Denver brewer 38 1943 July 13, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 5421 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Joe Biden facing sexual assault allegations Agnostico 48 3473 May 3, 2020 at 5:12 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Michigan Bans Flavored E Cigarettes onlinebiker 48 3617 September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  FB bans 'dangerous' individuals Foxaèr 155 9187 May 13, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Zealand Bans Manifesto BrianSoddingBoru4 74 6444 March 24, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Melania Trump says Sexual Assault victims shouldn't report unless they have evidence Divinity 116 11976 October 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Joods
  What Is Happening In New Zealand? BrianSoddingBoru4 22 1285 March 4, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dicks sporting goods stops selling assault riffles. Brian37 1 538 February 28, 2018 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Brian37