Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens when someone fakes being abused?
What happens when someone fakes being abused?
What if someone pretends to the police that they have been abused by a certain someone when that wan't the case? What if there is no third party? Even more, what if the liar is the actual abuser? What can happen?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: What happens when someone fakes being abused?
(March 31, 2019 at 7:46 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: What if someone pretends to the police that they have been abused by a certain someone when that wan't the case? What if there is no third party? Even more, what if the liar is the actual abuser? What can happen?

Filing a false police report is crime, even up to a felony with multiple years. But sometimes those things can be solely based on "this person said, that person said."  But if the police prove they've been lied to, that person can get into some very serious trouble.
(March 31, 2019 at 7:51 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 31, 2019 at 7:46 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: What if someone pretends to the police that they have been abused by a certain someone when that wan't the case? What if there is no third party? Even more, what if the liar is the actual abuser? What can happen?

Filing a false police report is crime, even up to a felony with multiple years. But sometimes those things can be solely based on "this person said, that person said."  But if the police prove they've been lied to, that person can get into some very serious trouble.

What if the abuse happened between closed doors, with no third party and there isn't any physical or material damage left? Maybe it was verbal, or emotional abuse. Or it was physical, but with no injuries left. Even sexual abuse, if it doesn't result into a pregnancy or getting an STD? Or what if it wasn't any abuse at all? What kind of proof can the police get?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
If it’s just hearsay most people just try and record conversations with the perp and get them to confess. It’s not what happened it’s what you admit happened on tape or there is proof of.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Depends on how good the faker is. If they can fool enough people involved it's likely they'll get away with it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Personally, I think that if there is no evidence one way or another, then there should be a wait and see approach. However, I think that it is just as acceptable to investigate the alleged victim as it is to investigate the alleged perpetrator (only when there is no evidence against the alleged perpetrator).

In Jewish law, a false witness receives the punishment that the victim of their false testimony would have received for the crime that the false witness tried to have them convicted of. I think that there is a good deal of wisdom to this. As a blanket policy, it would probably be unworkable and would maybe lead to some atrocities. An aggressive defense attorney might successfully distort witness testimony so that an actual victim gets convicted of false testimony, or a false witness might receive a much harsher punishment than would have been given to an actual perpetrator.

However, I think that the Jewish perspective on false testimony is instructive. It puts things into perspective by making false testimony about a crime equal to the crime itself. If I file a false police report, claiming that you assaulted me, then I'm assaulting you. It would be perfectly appropriate for me to be charged with assault, once my lies are proven. I intended for you to be punished for assaulting me. So why shouldn't I receive the punishment that I intended for you?

Here is a very interesting newspaper article about some high school girls who simply didn't like one of the boys that they went to school with. They made up stories about him sexually assaulting them. The boy was put through hell by police, prosecutors, classmates, and the public in general, and was fired from his job. Had it not been for one of the girls finally telling the truth, this boy would be in a state prison. When the girl who started it all finally told the truth, her reasons for doing what she did were absolutely shocking. Despite her unthinkable brutality, she isn't going to suffer any consequences for what she did at all.

Lawsuit accuses Seneca Valley 'mean girls' of targeting boy with false allegations | TribLIVE
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Not much.

Signed

Chicago. PD
(March 31, 2019 at 7:55 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(March 31, 2019 at 7:51 am)Brian37 Wrote: Filing a false police report is crime, even up to a felony with multiple years. But sometimes those things can be solely based on "this person said, that person said."  But if the police prove they've been lied to, that person can get into some very serious trouble.

What if the abuse happened between closed doors, with no third party and there isn't any physical or material damage left? Maybe it was verbal, or emotional abuse. Or it was physical, but with no injuries left. Even sexual abuse, if it doesn't result into a pregnancy or getting an STD? Or what if it wasn't any abuse at all? What kind of proof can the police get?

I am not going to lie to you. It is harder to prove one word against another if that is all you have. But it helps if you write those things down and talk to others you trust. Do that and that makes it harder for police to ignore. 

Sorry there is no magic pill. I would say ultimately no matter what, it isn't wise to stay in an abusive situation, verbal or physical with or without evidence. Nobody has the right to emotionally suck the life out of you, much less physically or sexually abuse you.
(March 31, 2019 at 8:22 am)wyzas Wrote: Depends on how good the faker is. If they can fool enough people involved it's likely they'll get away with it.

Especially if they end up (through a lot of media attention) with a large audience of people who believe what the accuser says regardless of the evidence.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote:Here is a very interesting newspaper article about some high school girls who simply didn't like one of the boys that they went to school with. They made up stories about him sexually assaulting them. The boy was put through hell by police, prosecutors, classmates, and the public in general, and was fired from his job. Had it not been for one of the girls finally telling the truth, this boy would be in a state prison. When the girl who started it all finally told the truth, her reasons for doing what she did were absolutely shocking. Despite her unthinkable brutality, she isn't going to suffer any consequences for what she did at all.
You know accept social condemnation

Quote:Not much.

Signed

Chicago. PD
Sounds like the number of abusers who get off scoff free .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever "ghosted" someone? Why? EgoDeath 30 3880 June 29, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Why do I feel so awkward when someone refuses a present from me? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2167 March 30, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Someone close to me....... Brian37 21 1684 May 4, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: AgnosAtheis
  When someone wishes to abuse cuts the contact Der/die AtheistIn 8 973 April 2, 2019 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Do you think ignoring someone completely is sometimes a good idea? Der/die AtheistIn 12 1037 March 21, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1020 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  When someone does something unforgivable Der/die AtheistIn 17 1608 November 1, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is it possible to love someone you will never forgive? Der/die AtheistIn 13 1786 May 24, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama