Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone close to me.......
Someone close to me.......
Has fallen back into religion. And by fall, I mean did a complete 180 and has gone fundie. It is really frustrating because I know what in reality cased it.

They went through a bad divorce while at the same time suffering in short succession the death of both parents within a year and a half. Then they had an "experience", and i can only surmise it was seeing one or both of their dead parents or having the sensation of seeing or talking to them. This person cannot see that it is a combo of their mental illness combined with the PTSD of losing their parents especially.

Now while this person isn't going to go KKK or Nazi, it still is a bad psychological way of coping. It is simply that person desperate to cover the pain and looking for kindness in others. It is still a form of indoctrination and I am angry at those around this person whom I deeply care about taking advantage of their vulnerable state. 

This person now does nothing but post platitudes and even 2nd Amendment memes. The worst part is I can remember this same person long ago complaining about the same people they are now emerged with. And also this person thinks I could not understand the "experience" they had. I have been through a divorce and I have also had loved ones die, most  important and traumatic was watching my late mother take her last breath. 

What this person does not understand is that I have had the false sensation of seeing my dead grandmother as a kid, and my dead adoptive father as a kid, even once had the false sensation of "outer body". I now know looking back that those sensations were merely my brain intensely fooling me. And back then having an isolated life on a street full of bullies, that also played into the stress that caused me to have these false sensations.

But I am really angry right now because I hate seeing religion take advantage of vulnerable people who have mental health issues that only health professionals can help. Religion only makes mental health issues worse.
RE: Someone close to me.......
Quote:Religion only makes mental health issues worse.

This is manifestly untrue.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 6, 2019 at 7:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Yes it does. Religion is not neurology, or psychiatry and someone like the person i know, and myself for that matter, are not served by adding non clinical old mythology in as a crutch. I consider myself lucky to understand now what happened to me looking back, where as others do not understand how their own brain works. This person is merely looking for a crutch and that will not help them cope effectively with their mental health issues.

Even with something like a urinary tract infection, I've been told by nurses and doctors, having been through it with my late mother, that even something like that if it gets to the brain can cause very severe hallucinations. Please do not tell me that someone deeply indoctrinated into a religion, isn't going to mistake that as evil spirits.

Even in antiquity nobody new what epilepsy was, and it was quite common back then for humans to mistake that for demon possession. 

This person is using religion to cope, and that is not a health way to cope with the mental illness this person suffers from. I should know because I have the same issues. The only difference is I know how easily my brain can fool me neurologically/chemically speaking.

This person is being taken advantage of for no other reason than the people around this person want another club member.

Humans can be very easily fooled, when in a mental state of stress, when they have a severe sense of loss our trauma.
I find it interesting that you bring up extremes like turning to religion often mean joining the Klan or becoming Nazi. Actually, it makes perfect sense as you seem to only see things in the context of extremes.

How each person reacts to similar situations another has experienced isn't at issue. Everyone brings their own 'stuff' to traumatizing or merely upsetting events. Just because you have been divorced and have had people die doesn't mean that your way of dealing is better or worse than anyone else's reactions.

This person has been through a lot it seems and has found a way to cope. Most likely they were looking for something.

Maybe this person you know will forever stay fundie. Maybe the pendulum will swing back. Maybe they needed a lifeline and people of the church have been that lifeline.

Let them go through their grief. If you think they are ready to open a vein or give themselves a fatal shot of heroin...then guide them to help, if you can.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 6, 2019 at 8:08 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I find it interesting that you bring up extremes like turning to religion often mean joining the Klan or becoming Nazi.  Actually, it makes perfect sense as you seem to only see things in the context of extremes.

How each person reacts to similar situations another has experienced isn't at issue.  Everyone brings their own 'stuff' to traumatizing or merely upsetting events.  Just because you have been divorced and have had people die doesn't mean that your way of dealing is better or worse than anyone else's reactions.

This person has been through a lot it seems and has found a way to cope.  Most likely they were looking for something.  

Maybe this person you know will forever stay fundie.  Maybe the pendulum will swing back.  Maybe they needed a lifeline and people of the church have been that lifeline.

Let them go through their grief.  If you think they are ready to open a vein or give themselves a fatal shot of heroin...then guide them to help, if you can.

Nobody is trying to deny them their grief. In fact outside the one conversation I had directly with this person, it was simply them telling me they changed their mind. I am simply concerned with the degree of the swing. And no, this person isn't a drug addict. But this is the type of mental state that could be drawn into a cult. I have kept my distance with them on that issue. But I have every right to express my concerns outside our personal contact. 

I am very concerned knowing this person's state, that when other stresses come about, and they always do, this person will turn to the fundie interpretation, then when life doesn't meet this fantasy this person will become more depressed. This person needs real clinical office help, not old mythology.
(April 6, 2019 at 7:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Opting for religion is like getting your suit dry cleaned at a place that charges $1000.  While it may help in small ways, it hurts in bigger ways.
(April 6, 2019 at 8:27 am)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(April 6, 2019 at 7:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This is manifestly untrue.

Boru

Opting for religion is like getting your suit dry cleaned at a place that charges $1000.  While it may help in small ways, it hurts in bigger ways.

It may be acting as a placebo right now for this person. But I have the same mental health issues, and can tell you especially when i was young and didn't know any better, you are absolutely correct. I also know this person's history and know how they have reacted to stress in the past. I think this person handled it better when they were married and had the kids living at home. 

But even outside this issue, humans when they feel like they are losing something or have lost something, can be easy targets for even things like street gangs or religious extremism. The flocking to a group gives one a sense of belonging and I am sure this is the mental attempt this person is trying to make, fill in a void, although it isn't a gang or terrorist group, the attempt to fill that sense of loss is the same mentality.
(April 6, 2019 at 8:23 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 6, 2019 at 8:08 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I find it interesting that you bring up extremes like turning to religion often mean joining the Klan or becoming Nazi.  Actually, it makes perfect sense as you seem to only see things in the context of extremes.

How each person reacts to similar situations another has experienced isn't at issue.  Everyone brings their own 'stuff' to traumatizing or merely upsetting events.  Just because you have been divorced and have had people die doesn't mean that your way of dealing is better or worse than anyone else's reactions.

This person has been through a lot it seems and has found a way to cope.  Most likely they were looking for something.  

Maybe this person you know will forever stay fundie.  Maybe the pendulum will swing back.  Maybe they needed a lifeline and people of the church have been that lifeline.

Let them go through their grief.  If you think they are ready to open a vein or give themselves a fatal shot of heroin...then guide them to help, if you can.

Nobody is trying to deny them their grief. In fact outside the one conversation I had directly with this person, it was simply them telling me they changed their mind. I am simply concerned with the degree of the swing. And no, this person isn't a drug addict. But this is the type of mental state that could be drawn into a cult. I have kept my distance with them on that issue. But I have every right to express my concerns outside our personal contact. 

I am very concerned knowing this person's state, that when other stresses come about, and they always do, this person will turn to the fundie interpretation, then when life doesn't meet this fantasy this person will become more depressed. This person needs real clinical office help, not old mythology.
Relax and give them some time.  Stop writing the future for someone else based on your neurosis.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 6, 2019 at 8:41 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(April 6, 2019 at 8:23 am)Brian37 Wrote: Nobody is trying to deny them their grief. In fact outside the one conversation I had directly with this person, it was simply them telling me they changed their mind. I am simply concerned with the degree of the swing. And no, this person isn't a drug addict. But this is the type of mental state that could be drawn into a cult. I have kept my distance with them on that issue. But I have every right to express my concerns outside our personal contact. 

Relax and give them some time.  Stop writing the future for someone else based on your neurosis.

Being concerned with someone's mental health is not trying to dictate to them or write their future. I do have something to say about this, because I have dealt with this myself. I have been suicidal myself, and I can tell you, it was far worse when I did believe, and back then I came a shitload closer to doing it back then. I am telling you, old mythology is not a replacement for modern psychology/neurology/medicine.
(April 6, 2019 at 8:46 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 6, 2019 at 8:41 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Relax and give them some time.  Stop writing the future for someone else based on your neurosis.

Being concerned with someone's mental health is not trying to dictate to them or write their future. I do have something to say about this, because I have dealt with this myself. I have been suicidal myself, and I can tell you, it was far worse when I did believe, and back then I came a shitload closer to doing it back then. I am telling you, old mythology is not a replacement for modern psychology/neurology/medicine.

Then suggest they seek professional help.

Without the over-the-top way that you have.

You said you know how they will react because you know how they reacted to stresses in the past.  No, you don't know.  You think you have an idea based on history but time has passed since then and this is a different set of stressors.

Just because you have mental health issues doesn't make you qualified to diagnose or suggest a specific treatment for anyone else.

But watch for that hood and Swastika...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever "ghosted" someone? Why? EgoDeath 30 3864 June 29, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Why do I feel so awkward when someone refuses a present from me? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2155 March 30, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  When someone wishes to abuse cuts the contact Der/die AtheistIn 8 966 April 2, 2019 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  What happens when someone fakes being abused? Der/die AtheistIn 16 1664 April 1, 2019 at 6:31 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you think ignoring someone completely is sometimes a good idea? Der/die AtheistIn 12 1029 March 21, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  How do satirists respond to criticism from the ones close to them? Der/die AtheistIn 3 511 March 13, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1016 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  When someone does something unforgivable Der/die AtheistIn 17 1594 November 1, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is it possible to love someone you will never forgive? Der/die AtheistIn 13 1782 May 24, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama