Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I remember way back when.....
I remember way back when.....
This is the thread for old fogies to post what life was like "way back when".

I'll go first.

I am old enough to remember smoking being allowed on passenger jets. I actually did that way back.

I also remember in HS when if you were 18 you were allowed to smoke outside. To the youngens, don't start, not worth it.
RE: I remember way back when.....
Though i was eight or nine when THE euro was introduced, i still remember, and often convert to, belgian franks
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
What about this one? For those that lived back then is this claim true?

[Image: taxes.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I remember when children actually played outside, built dens, went fishing, played tick. These days all they seem to do is sit around and looking at facebook or snapchat or whatever. I was never at home as a kid, always out doing something, I reckon childhood was better then.
I used to hang out in a wood lot near our house. A stream ran through it. Things lived in the water. I drank the water. I looked for it on Google Earth last week. The whole area is paved.
I don't remember when a bob was 10 cents, but when there were only telephone boxes to communicate outside of home, parents would always say, 'take two bob for the phone' so you could ring and tell them when you wanted to be picked up.

I also remember having to take a candle, a mosquito coil and a box of matches to the outside dunny and then having to shovel sawdust down the hole when finished.

(January 7, 2019 at 8:15 am)Little lunch Wrote: I don't remember when a bob was 10 cents, but when there were only telephone boxes to communicate outside of home, parents would always say, 'take two bob for the phone' so you could ring and tell them when you wanted to be picked up.

I also remember having to take a candle, a mosquito coil and a box of matches to the outside dunny and then having to shovel sawdust down the hole when finished.

Foreigners, geeze, maybe we do need a wall....... what is a ""bob" and what is a "dunny"?  Razz

FYI, my first portable radio had an 8 track deck in it.
(January 7, 2019 at 8:19 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 7, 2019 at 8:15 am)Little lunch Wrote: I don't remember when a bob was 10 cents, but when there were only telephone boxes to communicate outside of home, parents would always say, 'take two bob for the phone' so you could ring and tell them when you wanted to be picked up.

Foreigners, geeze, maybe we do need a wall....... what is a ""bob" and what is a "dunny"?  Razz

A 'bob' is a shilling - doesn't exist anymore due to decimal coinage. 12p made a shilling, twenty shillings made a pound.  Easy.

'Dunny' is a toilet.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 7, 2019 at 8:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 7, 2019 at 8:19 am)Brian37 Wrote: Foreigners, geeze, maybe we do need a wall....... what is a ""bob" and what is a "dunny"?  Razz

A 'bob' is a shilling - doesn't exist anymore due to decimal coinage. 12p made a shilling, twenty shillings made a pound.  Easy.

'Dunny' is a toilet.

Boru

Ten knuts makes a sickle. 43 sickles make a galleon.
'The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency, with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough, but, since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.' - HGTTG

And the following may come in handy if you should ever find yourself in medieval Europe:

4 farthings = 1 penny

5 pennies = 1 groat

5 groats = 1 shilling

2 shillings = 1 florin

2 florins = 1 ducat

2 ducats = 1 silver mark

5 silver marks = 1 sovereign

And from 1970 onwards, my father did nothing but bitch about decimalization.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4704 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1171 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 629 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone remember this crock guy? Brian37 5 526 June 29, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Remember when... (AF memory lane) J a c k 0 420 November 11, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Always remember... no one 7 642 October 20, 2019 at 11:00 am
  Does anyone else remember...? Cecelia 20 1786 July 30, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1810 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
  On my way now... Brian37 53 2952 March 30, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way. arewethereyet 75 5226 March 7, 2019 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Godscreated