Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention Theists! Present your best argument for the existence of God!
Attention Theists! Present your best argument for the existence of God!
Think you have a good argument for the existence of God? Fire away! I'm interested in seeing where the forum theists here are at and if there are any new arguments or forms there of that I've not encountered.

Plus, It would be interesting to see if anyone has a more original argument than Deist Paladin's argument from homosexuality Big Grin
RE: Attention Theists! Present your best argument for the existence of God!
(February 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm)theVOID Wrote: Plus, It would be interesting to see if anyone has a more original argument than Deist Paladin's argument from homosexuality Big Grin

NEVER! I remain king of this hill! Come try to knock me off if you can!
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(February 9, 2011 at 10:55 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(February 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm)theVOID Wrote: Plus, It would be interesting to see if anyone has a more original argument than Deist Paladin's argument from homosexuality Big Grin

NEVER! I remain king of this hill! Come try to knock me off if you can!

Is that the Queer Duck theory of religion?

[Image: queerduck.jpg]
Gotd made gays to adopt the excess children Big Grin
(February 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm)theVOID Wrote: Got made gays to adopt the excess children Big Grin

Got?

Even in German it has two t's.
(February 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is that the Queer Duck theory of religion?

Good name. I may adopt it if you and the owners of the character don't mind.

The "proof", such as it is, goes like this:

Homosexuality is part of nature. Same gender couples among animals are known to make homes together adopting young. This pattern also exists in human societies where allowed. Psychology studies have shown that gay couples are every bit as capable as parents. Androgyny tends to run higher among homosexuals (it's not just a stereotype) which may allow for them to play both motherly and fatherly roles.

Gay couples are beneficial to society, providing a natural set of god parents to children who are orphaned or abandoned. Homosexuality creates stable, loving homes that can't have children of their own and will be eager to adopt. Heterosexual couples can also adopt but they tend to want their own children.

So the existence of homosexuality is of benefit to society but the benefits are indirect with regards to natural selection. Natural selection runs on an organism's ability to adapt and survive in an environment and pass on their genes to the next generation. The benefits of homosexuality do nothing to ensure the individual homosexual will pass on their genes, which is what I mean by "indirect benefits with regard to natural selection".

Consequently, natural selection alone isn't a strong explanation for the benefits of homosexuality to a community. It's the best example of benevolent design I can think of.

As an added bonus, it causes fundie heads to explode. Smile
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
God's existence can't be known. Bomb proof.
(February 10, 2011 at 2:58 am)fr0d0 Wrote: God's existence can't be known. Bomb proof.

If gods existence cannot be known(i.e proven) then the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't exist.

Same as unicorns, trolls, Russells teapot and Jesus.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 10, 2011 at 1:06 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: The benefits of homosexuality do nothing to ensure the individual homosexual will pass on their genes, which is what I mean by "indirect benefits with regard to natural selection".

It is merely a misfiring by-product, like helping strangers is. Or like a moth killing itself on a flame - it's not suicidal, it's just a misfiring by-product of its navigation system.

Misfiring by-products can obviously be good, bad or indifferent.

(February 10, 2011 at 2:58 am)fr0d0 Wrote: God's existence can't be known. Bomb proof.

Sorry but that isn't an argument.
(February 10, 2011 at 7:22 am)Zen Badger Wrote: If gods existence cannot be known(i.e proven) then the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't exist.

Same as unicorns, trolls, Russells teapot and Jesus.

No, that is to commit the Argument from Ignorance fallacy. Just because there is no evidence for something or it seems absurd doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
(February 10, 2011 at 1:06 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Homosexuality is part of nature.

So is cancer. So are deformities. So is mental illness. Not really an arguement there.

Quote:Homosexuality creates stable, loving homes....

No it doesn't. Homosexuals may, but not homosexuality. And you say this as a blanket statement as if just being a homo makes you a positive benifiter to society. I'm in agreement with DvF, it's just a misfiring by-product and that in itself can be good, bad or indifferent.

Substitute 'people with cancer' for homos in your 'proof' and it works the same.

Quote: As an added bonus, it causes fundie heads to explode. Smile

From facepalming maybe, not from any kind of sensible unrefutable arguement. I believe your arguement is just an attempt to internally rationalize and 'normalize' abnormal sexual behavior.

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 9951 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24763 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5205 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32577 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2349 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16974 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4081 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3498 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10751 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5256 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda