Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thought on asexuality
A thought on asexuality
I can't believe that it took me this long to realise that I am probably asexual.

I've previously considered myself to have had many different sexualities in the past, but then I realised, I don't actually ever want sex. I just wanted the connection to another human being and I was opening up to who I could connect with. I am what they call a romantic asexual (there are loads of different ways to classify what kind of asexual you are apparently). It was my husband that suggested this to me. I just thought that I didn't want sex because I am anorgasmic and have never had an orgasm. But actually it goes deeper than that as it's slowly occurred to me that other people are driven to have sex for the sake of having sex. For me the idea of sex has never actually turned me on. I can imagine the appeal of having sex to become pregnant, but as I can't have children it's not something I can afford to want.

I do have sex with my husband, but that's for his sake more than anything else and for the sake of the relationship. I am happy with the cuddles, caressing and intimacy. Anything more than that and the sensation quickly starts to feel like an irritation. I think my anorgasmia is probably exacerbated by my asexuality but many asexuals can get aroused and can have orgasms. And many of them are disgusted by the idea of having sex. I can see why. Kissing a stranger for example to me is the equivalent of using a stranger's toothbrush or used tissue. Sex to me though is on a par with someone rubbing my elbow and expecting me to get excited about it. I normally just stare in the middle distance and think about something more interesting.

Asexuals worry about coming out as well. People expect everyone else to be sexual. I don't think I have mentioned it to anyone else. To me it's like coming out as not being a stamp collector. It's just not something I do or has any relevance to my life so why mention it? But on the other hand, it does sort of free me up. If I ever wonder about people questioning my motives, I have the option of easily dismissing them by explaining that I am asexual.

Sometimes I try to imagine what it must be like being sexual, and how your actions are driven by an underlying desire to present yourself in the right way to attract a mate and to breed (or just have sex). I can see the appeal but it must be so distracting. My husband is jealous that I am not cursed with such a distraction.

I do realise that a large part of what it means to be human is denied to me. But then many people can say the same thing for many different reasons.
RE: A thought on asexuality
If anyone challenges you on asexuality, just point that they will never have sex with billions of people alive today. Does that make them weird? No.
Serious or meme-ing?
(September 18, 2018 at 8:38 am)SaStrike Wrote: Serious or meme-ing?

Serious. But inspired by the current trend of posting on similar topics.
Consoling
I agree, in fact I thought you'd already realized this!

I envy you in some ways, because so much of my thought power is used up thinking about wanting to have sex with most women I see. This is frustrating because it's sex that I know will never happen. Sometimes I wish all these thoughts would leave me alone.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
As someone who is pretty sexual in nature, I find this super alien. Not in any way out of judgement of you, mind, just the idea of how you and others experiences are nearly out of my reach to imagine.

Sex is crazy good, and one of the biggest things for me is pleasuring my partner. The thought of it meaning nothing to others just boggles my mind.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(September 18, 2018 at 2:40 pm)Bob Kelso Wrote: As someone who is pretty sexual in nature, I find this super alien. Not in any way out of judgement of you, mind, just the idea of how you and others experiences are nearly out of my reach to imagine.

Sex is crazy good, and one of the biggest things for me is pleasuring my partner. The thought of it meaning nothing to others just boggles my mind.

I think that's a pretty normal reaction.

I can however understand it more I think, because my severe depression has a big effect on my labido. At times I have none at all.

Unfortunately the sexual thoughts do not similarly drop off, adding to the frustration.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well, then can we at yeast we can be friends?

Buddings?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I suspect a significant percentage of people may be considered asexual in the sense that their sexual activities are largely the result of complex social conformity rather than innate sex drive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 794 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 968 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1676 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A thought on hummus, actually. Mr.Obvious 24 991 September 19, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1134 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2792 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A thought on heterosexuality Foxaèr 6 832 September 18, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1128 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I'm sick of religious binary thought! ignoramus 23 4845 August 23, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Thought experiment - Vampirism Excited Penguin 13 1609 October 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: chimp3