Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there actually evil in the world?
And since this is probably one of the more rational forums on the web, one question, is there actually evil?

If we can't actually sin but only make mistakes, then how can there be evil?

If Hitler was only carrying the sentiment of most Europeans and the catholic church, then how could he be the most evil man in history?

For instance, man A wants to kill off all of people B, because this hatred has been pumped into his mind since childhood and man A rises to power and kills many people B, how could he be considered evil?, even putting them in attrocious conditions. Also this view is backed by his religion.

So what do yall think?

Also, how many times have you heard this one, we were made perfectly by God but we're imperfect creatures?
RE: Is there actually evil in the world?
Try here
http://atheistforums.org/thread-4428.html

happy reading!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Objectively evil or subjectively evil?

I'm not sure Hitler was the most evil man in history. If Genghis Khan had the kind of technology Hitler had at his disposal he may have been considered just as evil.

Subjectively "evil" still exists regardless. There are still things considered subjectively horrifically evil with or without "objective" evil by anyone with an ounce of compassion. Whether they call it "evil" or not.

Sure there is. I'm right here. Hi
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
You are evil personified? I doubt it.
"Evil" is what the other guy does.
Sometimes.
Thanks all, just one of those philisophical quanderies that have been eating away at me.

Was Hitler an immoral person, yes, but evil, I personally don't think so. But I don't condone that behaviour in any way.
Then again you could argue he was moral in that he was following his religious beliefs.

I dont know well thanks anyways.
(February 11, 2011 at 6:17 am)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: Objectively evil or subjectively evil?

I'm not sure Hitler was the most evil man in history. If Genghis Khan had the kind of technology Hitler had at his disposal he may have been considered just as evil.

Subjectively "evil" still exists regardless. There are still things considered subjectively horrifically evil with or without "objective" evil by anyone with an ounce of compassion. Whether they call it "evil" or not.

I don't think genghis Khan is particularly evil. Brutal in war, yes, but in many ways surprisingly enlightened and moderate in his administration.

Genghis Khan apparently gained his greatest pleasure from seeing his victims' 'near and dear bathed in tears'. If that's true I'd say that's pretty evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2380 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3590 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68407 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 50956 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46591 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4613 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1089 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5836 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Origin of evil Harris 186 22862 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris
  What if you lived in a world...full of evil plotting Legos Losty 45 5127 June 10, 2016 at 1:58 am
Last Post: c172