Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas grace
Christmas grace
This year I hosted Christmas breakfast for everyone in my family at my house. It was my first time hosting and it all went very well.

I built a large 8 ft long dining room table for everyone to sit around, cooked a large breakfast having everything all done by 10:00 am when people began arriving.

We all sat down to eat and my mother asked who wanted to say grace. I piped up and said "I'll do it."

Most everyone bowed their heads. I didn't, nor did I ask anyone to bow. I simply said "I am thankful for those of us who could be here and thankful for those who couldn't make it. I want to wish everyone well and ...."

Then my brother says "And who are we giving our thanks to ?"

I replied "To everyone who is actually here. Amen"

Breakfast was good and grace is something we only say once or twice a year. People in my family seem to do it out of habit more than anything else. I take the opportunity to say it when I can to keep the religious stuff out of it. If they want to say something inside their own minds, that's up to them.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
RE: Christmas grace
If you don't address Cthulhu directly it doesn't count.
Rahn127

1% of Catholics in Japan
but they live according to the Gregorian calendar
it's a secular calendar
but most Japanese don't care about Christmas
(December 26, 2019 at 8:25 am)Rahn127 Wrote: Then my brother says "And who are we giving our thanks to ?"

The chickens, cows, pigs, plants, ...........................

Oh, and Big Oil. Never forget to thank Big Oil.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 26, 2019 at 8:39 am)brewer Wrote:
(December 26, 2019 at 8:25 am)Rahn127 Wrote: Then my brother says "And who are we giving our thanks to ?"

The chickens, cows, pigs, plants, ...........................

Oh, and Big Oil. Never forget to thank Big Oil.

I should have said "Modern technology and science. Without it, most of you would have a hard time getting here without a car. Some of you who have battled cancer and won due to modern medicine wouldn't be here. Electricity and science behind building a home with modern modes of cooking and packaging food are also things to be thankful for. We thank all the men and women who over the course of history built upon each other's discoveries to make this all happen today. No gods were harmed when I cooked the eggs today because they don't exist."
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(December 26, 2019 at 8:39 am)Interaktive Wrote: Rahn127

1% of Catholics in Japan
but they live according to the Gregorian calendar
it's a secular calendar
but most Japanese don't care about Christmas

Don't they go to KFC at Christmas.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2315 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25861 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14510 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Christmas Songs Divinity 45 7789 December 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1595 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Atheist and Christmas MattB 34 5067 November 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheist Grace Before Meals Quid 23 5763 June 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christmas Sludgeman101 21 3286 May 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4143 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheists at Christmas Wunsbee 55 13786 December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin