Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Songs
Christmas Songs
Do you listen to Christmas songs?  I know many atheists celebrate Christmas.  But do you listen to Christmas music?  If so, is it only secular music?  I mean some of the Christmas songs are pretty fucking awesome.  I mean it's not like other non-jesus songs aren't about fictional characters.  "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" "Here comes Santa Clause"  Do you avoid songs with more Jesus-y connotations, or do you shrug off the religious associations for the season?

Also if you do listen to Christmas songs, what are some of your favorites?
RE: Christmas Songs
Just my take on it, but most Christmas songs don't get the theology right, so they are (blasphemously) acceptable.

Any Christmas carol, for instance, that presumes Jesus was born in the winter, which we know isn't the case as the shepherds wouldn't be tending flocks in frozen pastures, and I also find it weird the (pious) Christians don't have a shit hemorrhage about all the christer disinformation that is disseminated this time of year.

War on Christmas, indeed.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I hate Christmas music. It's got nothing to do with being an Atheist and more to do with the fact that it's annoying as fuck. I feel bad for all the department store workers this time of year who are forced to listen to it over and over again.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Yeah, there aren't a ton of good christmas songs, I'm afraid.

When I think of christmas songs, the first one to pop into my head is always the theme from the "Lexus December to Remember Sales Event" commercials.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
One of my favourites, though not "traditional" Christmas music

Dying to live, living to die.
I cringe going into every store knowing that that miserable sappy shit will be blaring on the fucking loudspeaker.

I'm in fucking Arizona....go blow white xmas out your ass.
(December 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm)Beccs Wrote: One of my favourites, though not "traditional" Christmas music

By someone named Dan Fogelberg. Typical that the best Christmas song would be written by a Jew.
And, just to be different:

Dying to live, living to die.
(December 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: By someone named Dan Fogelberg. Typical that the best Christmas song would be written by a Jew.

Might have something to do with the fact that Fogelberg is a Swedish name.
(December 3, 2015 at 2:53 pm)Cato Wrote:
(December 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: By someone named Dan Fogelberg. Typical that the best Christmas song would be written by a Jew.

Might have something to do with the fact that Fogelberg is a Swedish name.

Ah. Sounds Jewish, that's for sure. There's actually a super nutty conspiracy theory that communist Jews wrote a bunch of Christmas songs without Jesus in order to secularize the US secretly. Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2263 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Christmas grace Rahn127 5 1260 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25615 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14451 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1592 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Atheist and Christmas MattB 34 4975 November 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christmas Sludgeman101 21 3275 May 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4084 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheists at Christmas Wunsbee 55 13654 December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  The war on Christmas Jacob(smooth) 95 18631 November 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist