Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The plane crash on the Hudson river..a miracle?
The plane crash on the Hudson river..a miracle?
This is aimed at any faith-heads on the forum, but open for any contribution.
Mayor of New York Bloomberg described the fact that there were no fatalities when the plane crash-landed in the Hudson as a " miracle ".
No doubt some faith-heads will take his comment literally, I don't know, obviously, whether Bloomberg intends it to so be taken.
Literally or not, I think it is a massive slight on the skill,nerve, professionalism and dedication of the pilot who was the true hero of the hour!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: The plane crash on the Hudson river..a miracle?
Well, I'm definately not one of the faith heads but, the term miracle has use amoung unbeleivers as well. It's obviously a good thing that nobody was hurt, it's a VERY good thing and we're all happy and releived to hear nobody was hurt. So I think it's worth taking the moment to ponder the situation and be happy for the passengers.

then I'd agree with you and say we finish our moment, turn around and congratulate the pilot of doing his best and keeping those people alive. I'm not aware of the event itself though, could you please post a link for those of us who live elsewhere and have not heard of the crash?
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...539051.ece

I think that's the crash.
that was very helpful thankyou, man, I didn't think planes actually got taken out by flocks of birds! I did some pilot training (youth group in canada) and thought it was a myth.

Confirmed a guess, another gratz to the pilot though, landing a plane like that on water.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(January 18, 2009 at 10:39 am)bozo Wrote: This is aimed at any faith-heads on the forum, but open for any contribution.
Mayor of New York Bloomberg described the fact that there were no fatalities when the plane crash-landed in the Hudson as a " miracle ".
No doubt some faith-heads will take his comment literally, I don't know, obviously, whether Bloomberg intends it to so be taken.
Literally or not, I think it is a massive slight on the skill,nerve, professionalism and dedication of the pilot who was the true hero of the hour!

Nah ... what would have been a miracle would have been "God" creating a shield in front of the place as it took off and someone filming the birds bouncing off it.

Impressive landing though!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(January 18, 2009 at 11:04 am)Demonaura Wrote: that was very helpful thankyou, man, I didn't think planes actually got taken out by flocks of birds! I did some pilot training (youth group in canada) and thought it was a myth.

Confirmed a guess, another gratz to the pilot though, landing a plane like that on water.

I've taken pilot training too.

Turns out birds can quiet easily take out an aircraft's engines. It's happened many times before, which is why it's so important to keep birds away from airfields.
All civil aircrafts are very capable of gliding, no matter how big the aircraft.

These pilots were trained for this kind of event and so this amazing outcome was done by the total professional skill of the Aviator. God had nothing to do with it.

I find it very funny that god takes the credit for all the good things but not the bad. Like why would god allow the birds to fly into the aircraft in the first place? God takes the credit when paramedics save someone's life, god takes the credit when firefighters put out fires, god even takes the credit when people like you and me save others. Why doesn't god take the credit when tornados rip through towns? Why doesn't god take the credit when there's flooding that ends up taking lives? Humans cannot control these kind of things, but if we could, we would of prevented any kind of event that may end up taking lives. God is suppost to have the power and yet he does nothing? God doesn't seem that much of a hero to me. More like an arsewhole!

It's because people would rather see the credit given to their imaginary friend instead of those who truly deserve it. paramedics are true heros, not god, Firefighters are true heros not god, pilots who save lives through their skill and care of others are heros not god.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Because if the religious people don't like it, the devil did it.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(January 18, 2009 at 11:29 am)Demonaura Wrote: Because if the religious people don't like it, the devil did it.

It's like they are trying very hard to ignore reality in order to protect their god.

Anyway, god is suppost to be more powerful than the devil. Also god is suppost to be all knowing and all loving.

I smell something offThinking
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
btw, 2 years ago I was at the Rolls Royce factory and test site in Hucknall, Nottinghamshire. There I saw the famous chicken gun, though it was not to fire chickens but pieces of fat, bone, and feathers the size of wild geese, in formations of 5 into mounted engines. There is also a test facility where the use a small charge to blow out one of the fan blades while the engine is running at full tilt to asses the damage.

It was very informative, and it shows that engine builders are very well aware of the dangers and try to reduce that risk as much as possible.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Its truly remarkable that no one died.

I say thank goodness! - not God - (and/or the FSM (because they're not mutually exclusive)).

And of course! - the pilot! 'Very good job' - would be an understatement.
Evf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about a specific claimed miracle anonymous89 43 5577 February 13, 2020 at 2:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10937 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1711 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is this A Miracle? Minimalist 8 2056 February 12, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  I Witnessed a Miracle BGChuckLee 60 11890 January 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: killybob
  Anyone want to take a stab at debunking this "miracle"? Ziploc Surprise 33 15744 April 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: simplexity
  The latest miracle! LastPoet 25 6556 May 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  whats in a miracle the6dead 14 3861 April 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: the6dead
  A Miracle!! solarwave 92 42660 November 5, 2009 at 11:01 am
Last Post: theblindferrengi
  Why This Preacher Chose 09.09.09 To Hijack A Plane... Retorth 14 4384 September 12, 2009 at 3:03 am
Last Post: theVOID