Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The latest miracle!
The latest miracle!
I was roaming around the newspaper here (Portugal), and there was this poll about the miracle of the sun that happened last 13th of May. Although 57% said it wasn't a miracle, I've read the YT video comments about it and alot of stabs were being taken towards atheists.

To put things in context, as a majorly catholic country, people celebrate "our lady of Fatima", that supposedly appeared to 3 children and performed some miracle of the sun, in the town of Fatima in 13 May 1917. They now claim it happened last friday, 13th of May. Here is the footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXXNf-8zLI

I mean really? Now I know what miracles are lol Big Grin

EDIT: What do you guys think about this? can't get any stupidier! I have talked to some of those fuckwits, explained what a 22º Solar halo is, guess the response: "Oh but it happened precisely in Our Lady's day!" Gah
RE: The latest miracle!
What miracle? I just see sunlight.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(May 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm)bozo Wrote: What miracle? I just see sunlight.

The solar halo bozo, I've seen alot of those in my life Tongue
(May 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm)bozo Wrote: What miracle? I just see sunlight.

Quote:WIKI:
Light passing through the hexagonal ice prisms is deflected twice, which produces deviation angles ranging from 22° to 50°. Lesser deviation results in a brighter halo along the inner edge of the circle, while greater deviation contribute to the weaker outer part of the halo. As no light is refracted at smaller angles than 22° the sky is darker inside the halo. [3] This effect is similar to Alexander's band, which lies between primary and secondary rainbows. [4]
22° halos form when the sky contains millions of variously oriented (poorly correlated) ice crystals. Some of these happen to be aligned perpendicular to the sun's light as viewed by any given observer, which produces the illuminated 22° circle, while other crystals produce the same phenomenon for other observers.

It is no miracle. Just a normal natural event. Stupid uneducated theists.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Wow, what a miracle! What choice do I have but to submit to my Lord and creator?!

Yeah, and rainbows are proof of Leprechauns.
Yeah, their bishops fuck the crap out of altar boys, and god gives them a rainbow. FFS!

PS- I'm getting old, im sounding like Min Big Grin
(May 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Yeah, their bishops fuck the crap out of altar boys, and god gives them a rainbow. FFS!

Welcome to the club.

(May 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Yeah, their bishops fuck the crap out of altar boys, and god gives them a rainbow. FFS!

Although the manner used to express the sentiment was difficult to read.. The powerful irony in the message is exactly how I feel about religion in general...

C'mon it's quite obviously a miracle! Only someone like god could create this, I see no other explanation because i'm just too fuckin dumb!
This is TRULY a miracle, that NEVER happens to the sun. Just like babies are a miracle..its so rare for the sun to do that, just like it is so very rare for humans to have children...truly a miraculous sign that confirms christs existence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about a specific claimed miracle anonymous89 43 5330 February 13, 2020 at 2:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10743 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1694 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is this A Miracle? Minimalist 8 2038 February 12, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  I Witnessed a Miracle BGChuckLee 60 11802 January 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: killybob
  Anyone want to take a stab at debunking this "miracle"? Ziploc Surprise 33 15627 April 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: simplexity
  whats in a miracle the6dead 14 3831 April 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: the6dead
  A Miracle!! solarwave 92 42342 November 5, 2009 at 11:01 am
Last Post: theblindferrengi
  The plane crash on the Hudson river..a miracle? bozo 12 4927 January 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Demonaura