Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The brazen bull in the Quran?
The brazen bull in the Quran?
The brazen bull is an ancient torture method that includes the "roasting of the victim" to death inside a "bronze" bull. The bull made a sound when the victims start to scream from the pain.

It was claimed to be invented by the ancient Greeks by Diodorus Siculus, recounting the story in Bibliotheca historica :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull

But the sound produced by the bull does open a new theory to me when looking at this ancient passage from the Quran:

Quote:Sura 7, The Quran:
https://quran.ksu.edu.sa/index.php?l=en#...rans=en_sh

( 148 )   And the people of Moses made, after [his departure], from their ornaments a calf - an image having a lowing sound. Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to a way? They took it [for worship], and they were wrongdoers.

The bible has a similar story; but it never mentions the "lowing sound". The brazen bull is unique for its sound; just like the mentioned calf is unique for its sound.

Burnt offerings were claimed by the bible to be "offered" for the calf. So were they put inside it; and it is the origin of the brazen bull ? but instead of "offerings" people were put inside later by the Greeks ?
RE: The brazen bull in the Quran?
Moses never existed, he was a Jewish plagiarism of Sargon (possibly by Ezra).
Ezra would have been well aware of Greek items in the post Alexandrian period.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(March 4, 2020 at 4:41 am)WinterHold Wrote: The brazen bull is an ancient torture method that includes the "roasting of the victim" to death inside a "bronze" bull. The bull made a sound when the victims start to scream from the pain.

It was claimed to be invented by the ancient Greeks by Diodorus Siculus, recounting the story in Bibliotheca historica :

But the sound produced by the bull does open a new theory to me when looking at this ancient passage from the Quran:

( 148 )   And the people of Moses made, after [his departure], from their ornaments a calf - an image having a lowing sound. Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to a way? They took it [for worship], and they were wrongdoers.

The bible has a similar story; but it never mentions the "lowing sound". The brazen bull is unique for its sound; just like the mentioned calf is unique for its sound.

Burnt offerings were claimed by the bible to be "offered" for the calf. So were they put inside it; and it is the origin of the brazen bull ? but instead of "offerings" people were put inside later by the Greeks ?

Burnt offerings in the Bible were generally made on an altar in the open air inside the Temple, there's no suggestion that they were made inside a bronze bull.

I think the differences in the 'golden calf' story in the Bible and the Quran are the result of sloppy plagiarism, nothing more.  Additionally, stories about the brazen bull as a torture device had been around for more than six hundred years before Mohammed got round to commercial religion - it's entirely possible that he'd heard about it and incorporated the 'lowing sound' into his book.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The lowing sound could have been produced by someone in the base of the idol blowing a horn.
Don't think it would have been big enough.

Alternately, Mohammed could have gotten the story wrong, or could have added the bit about 'lowing' for atmosphere.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 4, 2020 at 7:12 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Don't think it would have been big enough.

Alternately, Mohammed could have gotten the story wrong, or could have added the bit about 'lowing' for atmosphere.

Boru

The base, not the bull. Run a pipe up one leg.
If you mean the golden calf of the Israelites, it was solid.

If you mean the brazen bull, as described, I don't think it would work.  The fire was built under the bull to roast the victim inside.  This means the fire would have been built on top the base which would also roast the poor sod blowing through the tube.

Boru
(March 4, 2020 at 4:41 am)WinterHold Wrote: The brazen bull is an ancient torture method that includes the "roasting of the victim" to death inside a "bronze" bull. The bull made a sound when the victims start to scream from the pain.

( 148 )   And the people of Moses Moo-ses made, after [his departure], from their ornaments a calf - an image having a lowing sound. Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to a way? They took it [for worship], and they were wrongdoers.

FTFY

[Image: original.jpeg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 4, 2020 at 8:06 am)brewer Wrote:

FTFY

[Image: original.jpeg]

Moobys.....

Now I'm hungry again.

Signed

Kevin Smith
(March 4, 2020 at 7:32 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you mean the golden calf of the Israelites, it was solid.

If you mean the brazen bull, as described, I don't think it would work.  The fire was built under the bull to roast the victim inside.  This means the fire would have been built on top the base which would also roast the poor sod blowing through the tube.

Boru

Depends on how big the base was. If you wanted the calf to be life-sized and tower over the mob then a pyramidal base maybe ten feet high would be good. If you built this with a wall close behind it you could have a hatch in the wall to access the base and leave it open for ventilation. (Put vents in the top of the base, disguised if it's not high enough.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6098 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1454 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  How is the Bible/Quran a "perfect book" ? Rwandrall 14 5802 November 5, 2014 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  Black Hole Properties mentioned in the Quran majmal 26 5724 December 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Worst moral in the Quran and Holy Bible? Ethan1581 15 7161 January 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: John V
Question Quran and Science - Compatible or incompatible? CriticalThinker123 4 2025 June 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh