Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is the Bible/Quran a "perfect book" ?
How is the Bible/Quran a "perfect book" ?
This is basically an eternal argument of the religious: the Bible must be the word of God because it is SO PERFECT.

Without mentionning the idea of defining "perfection" and how it is often subjective when it comes to morals, how can they say that when there are so many interpretations of a book that is supposed to be "God's PERFECTLY clear book of PERFECT rules" ?

There are thousands upon thousands of sects in each of these major religions that all have different interpretations of it and kill each other over what THEY think God wants.

I just spent some time on a theist forum and protestants and catholics were basically condemning each other to Hell for small dogmatic differences like the role of Mary o.0

If the Bible/Quran is so perfect, why couldn't God make his will a tad more clear ? Most (if not all) modern Law systems are way better organized and expressed than this...not to mention fairer...

What makes these books so "perfect" ? Does the Bible even say anything about its own interpretation ?

RE: How is the Bible/Quran a "perfect book" ?
(June 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: This is basically an eternal argument of the religious: the Bible must be the word of God because it is SO PERFECT.

Without mentionning the idea of defining "perfection" and how it is often subjective when it comes to morals, how can they say that when there are so many interpretations of a book that is supposed to be "God's PERFECTLY clear book of PERFECT rules" ?

There are thousands upon thousands of sects in each of these major religions that all have different interpretations of it and kill each other over what THEY think God wants.

I just spent some time on a theist forum and protestants and catholics were basically condemning each other to Hell for small dogmatic differences like the role of Mary o.0

If the Bible/Quran is so perfect, why couldn't God make his will a tad more clear ? Most (if not all) modern Law systems are way better organized and expressed than this...not to mention fairer...

What makes these books so "perfect" ? Does the Bible even say anything about its own interpretation ?

I've always understood their claim ito be that it is perfect BECAUSE it is the word of god.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
In terms of islam:

It also baffles me how such a perfect and omnipotent god would choose to have his teachings put in a book with the most convoluted and obtuse language such as arabic and then make it even more difficult to understand for the rest of the world by putting it in a needlessly poetic manner.

It's not a perfect book if it's not easily understood by the masses, how the fuck does god expect the rest of the world to convert to islam if he chooses to put his teachings this way? Fucking idiot.

(June 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: If the Bible/Quran is so perfect, why couldn't God make his will a tad more clear ?

Because he doesn't exist. That or like I mentioned before he's made such a retarded hash of communicating with us he's not as omnipotent as all these religious types would like to think.
I compare these views of the bible to someone who orders peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, eats only the peanut butter, and then declares it the best ice cream ever made.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
[Image: biblealone.jpg]

[Image: quran.jpg]

[Image: the+god+delusion]

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

Choose wisely now.
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
It's not perfect. Some people are brainwashed into thinking it is though.
They're not.

That was easy.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'll simplify this for everyone. We agree that the bible is a book? If so, we agree that it is a perfect book. It is 100% book. Clearly a book. Obviously a book. Not not a book.

If we don't agree... then frankly you fail the sanity test.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The bible is inerrant, which is obvious because we all know the world is flat and pi = 3. Fundies please answer why does your 'inerrant' book contains so many errors?
(June 6, 2011 at 12:49 am)5thHorseman Wrote: The bible is inerrant, which is obvious because we all know the world is flat and pi = 3. Fundies please answer why does your 'inerrant' book contains so many errors?

[role playing Christian/]

There are no errors.

Even if you think you have found errors, it is you who are in error.

You haven't read it in the proper context.

And besides it's a metaphor.

And your interpretation is all wrong, too.

Lalalalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening!

[/role playing Christian]
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17036 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The brazen bull in the Quran? WinterHold 37 4769 March 7, 2020 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Imperfect perfect Trinity Alex K 8 961 December 14, 2019 at 9:20 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What book has the most history? georgecarlin 43 5635 May 13, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7600 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  We are God's perfect imperfection. ignoramus 54 14625 July 9, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63258 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  So, you're sitting in a tea shop, quietly reading a book... Gawdzilla Sama 70 16890 April 28, 2017 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 31079 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The Perfect Religious Doctrine The Reality Salesman01 41 6761 May 15, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01