Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Proposals
Weird Proposals
Ever have somebody make you a really weird offer?

(You could/couldn't refuse?)

I was in The Pink Elephant - a biker bar in Monte Rio California in the mid 1980's drinking and chasing tail. As luck would have it - a nice lady (we'd probably call a cougar these days) took pity on my drunk young ass and had me follow her to her place - which was in the hills (literally) outside Monte Rio. 

The house was up on the side of a rather large hill - accessible by a wooden staircase - probably 50 or so stairs.  We went up to the house and we did what drunken strangers sometimes do.

In the morning - she made coffee and expressed that she had had a wonderful time - but she "needed to get back to the house".

This confused my befuddled head. I asked for clarification. 

Turns out - the stairway continued up the hill - to the main house. (Accessed by a different road). We were in "the guest house". She lived in the main house - with her husband....

Then came the offer.....

Would I like to rent the guest house? She named a VERY reasonable price. And - it would come with "fringe benefits". I would be free to do as I liked - bring girls home - and she would be OK with that... And - from time to time - she would visit and spend the night - and hubby was OK with that.

Errrrrpp....

I passed.

If it sounds too good to be true - it ain't.

Somewhere - there was a catch. 

I wasn't willing to get sucked up into whatever weird shit they had going on.
RE: Weird Proposals
In the early-mid 80s I dated a man for a while who was considerably older than me.  That was unusual in itself as I tend to go for younger guys (husband is nearly eight years younger).

This man was British, a news reporter, handsome, financially secure, and liked to party.  We met in the bar of The Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee, AZ.  He had a house that jutted out of the side of one of the foothills in town.  I had two daughters at the time and he had a young son who he was trying to gain custody of.  

He totally wined and dined me and it was like a fairy tale.  He proposed rather quickly but I wasn't quite ready for marriage that soon after the death of my first husband.  In pretty short order I found out that his desire for a wife was in large part to have someone available to step in and care for his son should he get called to report on a story.  I started to wonder if his life story was accurate.  Had he really been a reporter in Viet Nam?  Had he really been a reporter in Hollywood?  Was he really a reporter covering all things nefarious on both sides of the Arizona/Mexico border?

I walked away.  

A few months ago I found information about him online and yes, his stories were true.  Yes, he was well known in the world of journalism.  Yes, he did end up raising his son with someone else.

It sounded too good to be true - but a lot of it was true - and I walked away.  Damnit man.

edit - he shared in the winning of a Pulitzer Prize with a team of reporters

Doh

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I was once offered a shocking amount of money to drive a boat from Antrim to Downpatrick (taking the loooooong way round), stay at a hotel overnight, then drive the boat back.

Having just got out of the nick - and having no real desire to return - I politely declined.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This one guy wanted to paint my car, any car, for $99.95.

Some people and their fetishes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 5, 2020 at 5:21 pm)brewer Wrote: This one guy wanted to paint my car, any car, for $99.95.

Rolleyes You kids. I remember when it was "any car any color, for $29.95...riiight!" ...if you didn't mind the headlights, tires, windows, etc., getting painted as well.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I'm sitting at a sidewalk cafe on Miami Beach having breakfast. This dude stops at the curb, rolls down his window and asks me where the hookers are?

"This time of day you should look down by the AAA headquarters."

"If I find one can I come back and pick you up?"

I laughed. His next offer would have been to skip the hookers.
(May 5, 2020 at 5:39 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(May 5, 2020 at 5:21 pm)brewer Wrote: This one guy wanted to paint my car, any car, for $99.95.

Rolleyes You kids. I remember when it was "any car any color, for $29.95...riiight!" ...if you didn't mind the headlights, tires, windows, etc., getting painted as well.

Like my car had any of those.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 5, 2020 at 5:39 pm)Fireball Wrote:

~$700 after they talked people into buying clear coat and such. There's still an Earl Scheib operating here in St. Louis.
(May 5, 2020 at 6:41 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 5, 2020 at 5:39 pm)Fireball Wrote: Rolleyes You kids. I remember when it was "any car any color, for $29.95...riiight!" ...if you didn't mind the headlights, tires, windows, etc., getting painted as well.
~$700 after they talked people into buying clear coat and such. There's still an Earl Scheib operating here in St. Louis.

The $29.95 price is from the '60s.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(May 5, 2020 at 7:16 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(May 5, 2020 at 6:41 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: ~$700 after they talked people into buying clear coat and such. There's still an Earl Scheib operating here in St. Louis.

The $29.95 price is from the '60s.
I know, I saw those ads when they first ran on TV. I smelled a rat when I was eleven years old.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders are weird Foxaèr 5 528 October 28, 2023 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2588 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Weird ad on bus today ignoramus 21 1989 November 27, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Ever get really weird text messages? Gawdzilla Sama 29 4795 November 14, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Share Your Weird Dreams Shell B 24 9438 July 28, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Weird Dreams Mechaghostman2 31 2842 February 28, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Sal
Heart Post your "weird" food combinations. Red_Wind 88 10835 February 28, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: c172
  Weird brain shenanigans Longhorn 29 3578 August 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Rainbow Is it weird that I consider myself straight and I'm so interested in guys? MusicLovingAtheist 40 9766 October 12, 2014 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Losty
  A Weird Thing Happened Today: Free Money Jenny A 11 4837 June 23, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Jenny A