Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying Thanks
Saying Thanks
When someone does you a favor how do you show your thanks?

The one I always get is "Let me buy you dinner".

Dodgy

Truth is - I don't really enjoy social dining. Never have. I find it to be a pain in the ass. It's a bunch of arbitrary rules put together to make people think they're really getting their money's worth.... Don't tell me "wrong gork"... Fuck that... I'll use an icepick if it gets the job done.

But I digress.

I just don't like it. That doesn't however stop people - people who know me well - from making the damned offer.

Ok - I fixed your _________ (fill in blank). Bring me something I can use and appreciate. A rick of firewood. A block of aluminum. Some welding wire.
Ammo is always good. Any caliber. If I don't have it I will know somebody who does.

It's the thought that counts. 

And I don't have to dress up.
RE: Saying Thanks
I’m generally ok with people just saying ‘thank you’ and appearing to mean it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 12, 2020 at 11:16 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m generally ok with people just saying ‘thank you’ and appearing to mean it.

Boru

That is a great one.....

And "You are welcome"- very welcome- or other variant of welcome is the response I give.

I suddenly quit feeling grateful when I thank someone and they answer "No problem"

Really?

If there wasn't a problem - you didn't really help- so get the fuck outta my driveway
Sounds like the best thing to do is to take off and nuke you from orbit.
The Ripley Solution - always in the top 10....
I will only accept their first born.
(June 12, 2020 at 11:56 am)onlinebiker Wrote: The Ripley Solution - always in the top 10....
#1.
A genuine thank you is plenty. Helping someone out should be done because you want to do it and not because you expect something in return. It's not really a favor if you are keeping count of who owes who what. Unfortunately too many people do expect quid pro quo so it seems to be the norm.

The best thank you is knowing the person will chip in, if they can, when you need a favor.

I am also not a fan of dining out and it's something I do maybe twice a year though COVID may reduce that to zero.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 12, 2020 at 2:50 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: A genuine thank you is plenty.  Helping someone out should be done because you want to do it and not because you expect something in return. It's not really a favor if you are keeping count of who owes who what.  Unfortunately too many people do expect quid pro quo so it seems to be the norm.

The best thank you is knowing the person will chip in, if they can, when you need a favor.

I am also not a fan of dining out and it's something I do maybe twice a year though COVID may reduce that to zero.

I once proposed that the construct of dining together was an arbitrary convention based on biological need.

It could have just as easily been based on elemination rather than intake.

You'd be surprised how many people will construct elaborate emotionally charged arguements based on nothing but their bias as to why it is not a possibility.
(June 12, 2020 at 2:50 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: A genuine thank you is plenty.  Helping someone out should be done because you want to do it and not because you expect something in return. It's not really a favor if you are keeping count of who owes who what.  Unfortunately too many people do expect quid pro quo so it seems to be the norm.

Agreed. Unless it’s some sort of pre-arranged barter, there’s no reason to expect or offer anything other than sincere thanks.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The August 2020 Derecho & giving thanks to God. Jehanne 8 396 August 23, 2020 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thanks you being you.... no one 6 584 November 22, 2018 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Thanks to homophobic bigots Foxaèr 7 585 November 10, 2018 at 9:24 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Saying goodbye simply... J a c k 30 2962 June 14, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Spirian
  Need to Vent - Thanks Religious Assholes Salacious B. Crumb 92 7560 August 31, 2015 at 2:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Special Love nd Thanks to GodsChild Rhondazvous 10 2769 August 2, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Thanks Jericho 11 1140 June 18, 2015 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  In Heaven Everything is Fine. ... just saying and shit. GirlyMan 13 4026 March 25, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Thanks for All the Fish... Neo-Scholastic 16 2128 February 2, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Saying goodbye to Pepper Jackalope 49 10765 October 3, 2013 at 11:54 am
Last Post: LastPoet