Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying goodbye simply...
Saying goodbye simply...
Sucks. 
We have been friends for 16 years. We have a very special bond and even though we lived 3 hours apart for the greater part of our friendship, we made it work. We also hurt each other recently. I kept putting off the talk. Today he told me he's moving really, really far away. He leaves tonight. I will never have the money to go visit. He didn't tell me soon enough to give me time to drive over and say goodbye. Says it would hurt too much. Well, that's not fair. There are some things I wish I could have said. People I wanted him to meet. This sucks. I regret not saying more. Anyone here can relate? Goodbyes suck. I hate em. I always forget to say everything and then the next day I wish I had said more. Anywho... this is us at 15 years old, one year into our friendship. My most recent text to him:
My friend, I'm sorry. Sorry I wasted time and didn't try to understand your reasons. Sorry it hurts. It has been an amazing half of my life so far with a friend like you. I don't want that to end. Safe trip. Buen viaje."

[Image: image_zpsfffkgipg.jpeg]
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: Saying goodbye...
There is absolutely no reason a friendship has to end just because of distance! There are many here I consider friends that live so far away that I will likely never meet them. Doesn't mean they can't be friends.

I've got a friend who lives in Oregon. We've been best buds since third grade, nearly forty years ago. We get to actually see each other maybe once every five years or so. He's still my best friend, and probably the best friend I'll ever have.

Don't let your friendship go just because of distance!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: Saying goodbye simply...
If you're that close friends it'll work out somehow, it's the age of social media anyway so it's not goodbye, we can chat free of charge across international borders now Smile

btw you both look so mature for 15 there
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(June 5, 2016 at 11:28 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: There is absolutely no reason a friendship has to end just because of distance! There are many here I consider friends that live so far away that I will likely never meet them. Doesn't mean they can't be friends.

I've got a friend who lives in Oregon. We've been best buds since third grade, nearly forty years ago. We get to actually see each other maybe once every five years or so. He's still my best friend, and probably the best friend I'll ever have.

Yeah but we had a fight and he left without us fixing it. :Sad
I didn't know he was leaving. I should have not been such a dumbass.
I've said so many goodbyes over the years ... but they never get easier. Sorry you're hurting, hon.

Perhaps it might help to write your feelings down, in detail?

(June 5, 2016 at 11:32 pm)Mamacita Wrote:
(June 5, 2016 at 11:28 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: There is absolutely no reason a friendship has to end just because of distance! There are many here I consider friends that live so far away that I will likely never meet them. Doesn't mean they can't be friends.

Yeah but we had a fight and he left without us fixing it. :Sad
I didn't know he was leaving. I should have not been such a dumbass.

Unless it's a "more than friends" type relationship, it can be fixed, even long distance. Donkey got it right in Shrek. Friends forgive each other.

Saying goodbye always sucks. Just don't let that friendship die without a fight!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
True. 
Nah, we're  friends. Almost family. 16 years is a long time. Thanks, man. I'll call him when he gets off the plane.
(June 5, 2016 at 11:42 pm)Mamacita Wrote: True. 
Nah, we're  friends. Almost family. 16 years is a long time. Thanks, man. I'll call him when he gets off the plane.

A quick move after an argument with a friend may just be a hint that he wants it to go further than your present friendship .... I don't know your circumstances but to go so suddenly appears to be intended to be dramatic ... you don't normally go to such lengths if you don't have strong feelings.

Has he been hinting for a closer relationship?
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
(June 5, 2016 at 11:35 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I've said so many goodbyes over the years ... but they never get easier. Sorry you're hurting, hon.

Perhaps it might help to write your feelings down, in detail?
Maybe. Writing always helps. Thanks, thump. (Hug)
(June 5, 2016 at 11:54 pm)madog Wrote:
(June 5, 2016 at 11:42 pm)Mamacita Wrote: True. 

A quick move after an argument with a friend may just be a hint that he wants it to go further than your present friendship .... I don't know your circumstances but to go so suddenly appears to be intended to be dramatic ... you don't normally go to such lengths if you don't have strong feelings.

Has he been hinting for a closer relationship?

I don't understand his signals. That's why we had the fight. He expected me to know what he was going through, but he wouldn't say what it was. He just gave me the silent treatment. Ugh. In any case, though, he's my friend. I don't want it to change. It is what it is.
You both look cute together. 

No, i can't relate. There was only a four year period where i had friends. The rest of my life i've been more of a loner.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Goodbye, Earth! Jehanne 5 534 June 30, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Goodbye Cool World Disagreeable 15 952 January 30, 2022 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Goodbye folks. Porcupine 13 1014 July 27, 2020 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Saying Thanks onlinebiker 16 1607 June 12, 2020 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10734 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Goodbye! Mystic 24 2529 May 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
Exclamation Goodbye Aractus 51 4167 November 12, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  In Heaven Everything is Fine. ... just saying and shit. GirlyMan 13 4014 March 25, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Saying goodbye to Pepper Jackalope 49 10736 October 3, 2013 at 11:54 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Well... I guess this is goodbye... Reforged 18 5465 August 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims