Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:40 am

Poll: Do you support the opening of a Human Rights section?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I support that
31.82%
7 31.82%
No, I don't support that
68.18%
15 68.18%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Human Rights Section: the voting topic
Human Rights Section: the voting topic
I suggested a new section to be opened in the forum for posting topics about "Human Rights"; a poll is needed though to decide if this section should be open or not.

So feel free to share your voted with either "yes I support the opening" or "no I don't support the opening".

Thank you.
RE: Human Rights Section: the voting topic
As Boru said, you can discuss Human Rights from many angles all of which are already sub-sections.
I’m glad to see the poll, Winter.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 15, 2020 at 2:04 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: As Boru said, you can discuss Human Rights from many angles all of which are already sub-sections.

But I don't see a specific section that touches Muslim rights, Jewish rights or Christian/other theists rights.

Searching is tiresome and this is what this section is for: it shortcuts and limit the search time for such topics -if they existed-. Atheists, Agnostics, and even gays and transexuals would have the chance to make their voices reach bigger crowds about the violations they face.
(July 15, 2020 at 2:47 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 2:04 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: As Boru said, you can discuss Human Rights from many angles all of which are already sub-sections.

But I don't see a specific section that touches Muslim rights, Jewish rights or Christian/other theists rights.

Searching is tiresome and this is what this section is for: it shortcuts and limit the search time for such topics -if they existed-. Atheists, Agnostics, and even gays and transexuals would have the chance to make their voices reach bigger crowds about the violations they face.

The way I approach this site it to just check new posts but I used to select from the subs so I see your point. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.
(July 15, 2020 at 3:08 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 2:47 pm)WinterHold Wrote: But I don't see a specific section that touches Muslim rights, Jewish rights or Christian/other theists rights.

The way I approach this site it to just check new posts but I used to select from the subs so I see your point. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I agree that it wouldn’t hurt anything, it just seems unnecessary. Human rights is such a massive (and massively important) subject that it seems that anything one has to say about it is already covered by one of the existing fora or sub-fora.

And I don’t see Winter’s point about specifically searching out a place to post about a human rights issue is all that valid. I can’t imagine that enough time is going to be saved to really matter.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 15, 2020 at 3:49 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 3:08 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: The way I approach this site it to just check new posts but I used to select from the subs so I see your point. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I agree that it wouldn’t hurt anything, it just seems unnecessary. Human rights is such a massive (and massively important) subject that it seems that anything one has to say about it is already covered by one of the existing fora or sub-fora.

And I don’t see Winter’s point about specifically searching out a place to post about a human rights issue is all that valid. I can’t imagine that enough time is going to be saved to really matter.

Boru

That accords with my first post in this thread. My saying, "It certainly wouldn't hurt anything." is not an endorsement of the idea so much as ascent that it wouldn't change anything for me. I see no great reason to add that section. Maybe it could function as a searchable term to boost membership? I doubt it though.
(July 15, 2020 at 1:56 pm)WinterHold Wrote: I suggested a new section to be opened in the forum for posting topics about "Human Rights"; a poll is needed though to decide if this section should be open or not.

So feel free to share your voted with either "yes I support the opening" or "no I don't support the opening".

Thank you.

As long as it's not a vehicle for you to give out about human rights abuses in "the West" while minimising those in your own neck of the woods.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(July 15, 2020 at 4:11 pm)Nomad Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 1:56 pm)WinterHold Wrote: I suggested a new section to be opened in the forum for posting topics about "Human Rights"; a poll is needed though to decide if this section should be open or not.

Thank you.

As long as it's not a vehicle for you to give out about human rights abuses in "the West" while minimising those in your own neck of the woods.

Please; read carefully before you turn this into a pillow fight like a...I forgot; this is a serious topic, but you know the insult I had in mind though, I wrote:

Quote:WinterHold wrote:
https://atheistforums.org/thread-61330-p...pid1988293

Literally I said that:

-Muslims
-Jews
-Christians
-Atheists
-Homosexuals
-Transexuals

And pretty much anybody would have the right to speak about violations touching their human rights.

Again; no need to turn this into a pillow fight with your pillow filled in glass to make me bleed; discussions about Islamophobia would indeed be written by people like me, but also about homophobia, also about atheism, also about and about.
Just as this forum was global when I joined it, I intend to act like a good son and keep it that way with my suggestions.
(July 15, 2020 at 4:23 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 4:11 pm)Nomad Wrote: As long as it's not a vehicle for you to give out about human rights abuses in "the West" while minimising those in your own neck of the woods.

Please; read carefully before you turn this into a pillow fight like a...I forgot; this is a serious topic, but you know the insult I had in mind though, I wrote:

Quote:WinterHold wrote:
https://atheistforums.org/thread-61330-p...pid1988293

Literally I said that:

-Muslims
-Jews
-Christians
-Atheists
-Homosexuals
-Transexuals

And pretty much anybody would have the right to speak about violations touching their human rights.

Again; no need to turn this into a pillow fight with your pillow filled in glass to make me bleed; discussions about Islamophobia would indeed be written by people like me, but also about homophobia, also about atheism, also about and about.
Just as this forum was global when I joined it, I intend to act like a good son and keep it that way with my suggestions.

People in those groups already have that right. Another reason the new forum is unnecessary.

But to be fair about Nomad’s point, you have never shown much interest in the human rights of non-Muslims. Like some others here, I can’t shake the feeling that what you really want is an ‘Islamic Rights’ forum.

I hope I’m wrong.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the adult section? FrustratedFool 33 2623 August 26, 2023 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Human Rights Section WinterHold 58 5696 July 15, 2020 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reasonable way for a new section to be added Foxaèr 4 904 July 15, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Blog section? *Deidre* 112 14129 May 12, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Which would be the appropriate section for certain movie discussions Astonished 2 1240 January 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Donald Trump section in the forum. paulpablo 18 1975 December 1, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Adding a "Life Stories" section to the forum Heat 7 1841 December 2, 2015 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Heat
  I've been asking to delete a topic of mine but nobody replies WinterHold 17 3307 October 25, 2015 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cato
  Rant section DIRTY_DEEDS_93 2 1173 March 23, 2015 at 2:48 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Off topic stuff Phatt Matt s 6 1361 March 23, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: ElleBelle