Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back"
Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back"
"God Hates You, Hate Him Back" by CJ Werleman.   Amazon link

If you haven't read "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" by CJ Werleman - I highly recommend it.
Particularly if you were raised Christian and think that you knew the Bible. I memorized most of it, and I was still amazed by this book.

Werleman breaks down the Christian bible (Protestant version), chapter by chapter, and summarizes it while pointing out the inconsistencies, the absurdities, and all of the many instances where the main characters are genocidal, homophobic, misogynistic, and misanthropic - with humor and wit. 

Now, as some reviewers have said, the format can get a bit old. Nearly the whole book is made up of a bible quote, and then some variant of an "are you f*cking kidding me?" reaction. But it's still worth a read. In fact, I wish I could get some christian friends to read it. (sigh)  His take down of the story of Samson had me laughing out loud.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back"
Isn't that the guy who was severely criticised for plagiarism a few years back?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"Are you fucking kidding me" is the proper reaction to most holy horseshit.
(June 27, 2016 at 3:22 pm)Alex K Wrote: Isn't that the guy who was severely criticised for plagiarism a few years back?

Whoa, yeah, Alex . . . he was! I didn't know this.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_Werleman
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I thought it was, 'God hates you, hate him, bareback.'
I bought this book a while ago but got bored with it pretty quickly; anyone can write a book ridiculing the Bible but it's not gonna be taken seriously by a Christian and ultimately that's what I what from a book refuting the Bible... something that not only I could learn from but which I could show to Christian family/friends and be confident would present a good case. It might make a good case, I don't know, but first impressions were bad: if I want to see a facetious rant I can write one, or read one on here for free, but I doubt a Christian would get past the first few pages without writing it off as blasphemous, angry, or immature.

(June 28, 2016 at 1:09 pm)Emjay Wrote: I bought this book a while ago but got bored with it pretty quickly; anyone can write a book ridiculing the Bible but it's not gonna be taken seriously by a Christian and ultimately that's what I what from a book refuting the Bible... something that not only I could learn from but which I could show to Christian family/friends and be confident would present a good case. It might make a good case, I don't know, but first impressions were bad: if I want to see a facetious rant I can write one, or read one on here for free, but I doubt a Christian would get past the first few pages without writing it off as blasphemous, angry, or immature.

You can tell from the title it's not exactly the most ideal book to recommend to Christian friends or family. Plus the title just reinforces the stereotype that atheists don't want to believe for purely emotional reasons ...
(June 28, 2016 at 1:18 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(June 28, 2016 at 1:09 pm)Emjay Wrote: I bought this book a while ago but got bored with it pretty quickly; anyone can write a book ridiculing the Bible but it's not gonna be taken seriously by a Christian and ultimately that's what I what from a book refuting the Bible... something that not only I could learn from but which I could show to Christian family/friends and be confident would present a good case. It might make a good case, I don't know, but first impressions were bad: if I want to see a facetious rant I can write one, or read one on here for free, but I doubt a Christian would get past the first few pages without writing it off as blasphemous, angry, or immature.

You can tell from the title it's not exactly the most ideal book to recommend to Christian friends or family. Plus the title just reinforces the stereotype that atheists don't want to believe for purely emotional reasons ...

Very true, but still I hope one day to find that one book that my family will actually consider reading... there's gotta be one somewhere  Wink The last one I gave my dad to read - in a straight trade where I read one of his Christian books in return - he just got offended cos it cast doubt on the character of the disciples. That's what I'm up against... have to be so careful not to be sacrilegious... or blaspheme... or attack anything he holds dear. It's a major pain in the arse this notion of sacrilege/blasphemy... like a God would really need to be protected from the words of mere mortals, or anything else for that matter. Add to that my dad is about as fluffy as it gets... so no swearing, no horror films etc.. So he'd object to a book like this just because of the language if nothing else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 4796 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1666 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6438 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 6960 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  [Serious] If I met Him... zwanzig 54 4252 January 13, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1465 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2342 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2506 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4302 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6562 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua