Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm trying to train a puppy
I'm trying to train a puppy
I've had lots of advice from lots of people. He's a good boy basically, he sits when I tell him, he poo's outside, he gives me his paw and all that. The thing is, he has a mad half hour every day where he bites anything that moves.. I've tried replacing my/other peoples ankles with a chew toy, I've tried saying no and turning my back (he just bites my arse.) I've tried putting him outside, I've tried reasoning with him.
Any suggestions would be happily recieved Big Grin
RE: I'm trying to train a puppy
Leash him up during that period.
Google guides. Youtube guides.
(August 29, 2020 at 3:50 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Leash him up during that period.

Does that calm them down? I'll give that a go tomorrow.
He went to puppy training and bit the trainer.
Pretty similar to what GS said.  Put him in a kennel during his bite/chew period. When he bites, tell him NO! and kennel him. Eventually, the NO will be sufficient.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 29, 2020 at 4:03 pm)Theswordismyleopard Wrote:
(August 29, 2020 at 3:50 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Leash him up during that period.

Does that calm them down? I'll give that a go tomorrow.
He went to puppy training and bit the trainer.

When he learns he will be leashed up when he goes ballistic he may start figuring out the problem. Think of it as a time out if you like.
Get an attack dummy to hang from the ceiling.  Hehe

Not enough info. Age, breed, weight, daily routine (other than biting), chew toys? My guess is that he's not been exercised enough and is bored.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This is why I have a cat.
(August 29, 2020 at 5:09 pm)brewer Wrote: Get an attack dummy to hang from the ceiling.  Hehe

Not enough info. Age, breed, weight, daily routine (other than biting), chew toys? My guess is that he's not been exercised enough and is bored.
Then give him a definite window for his exercise and don't allow acting up outside that window. Crate training is handy for that.
(August 29, 2020 at 5:55 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(August 29, 2020 at 5:09 pm)brewer Wrote: Get an attack dummy to hang from the ceiling.  :hehe:

Then give him a definite window for his exercise and don't allow acting up outside that window. Crate training is handy for that.

Good advice. The last time dog we had a dog was about 11 years ago. Border collie, and so active, it was exhausting just watching her. It took a bit, but we learned that if we let her lose her mind for about five hours every day, she was perfectly tractable the rest of the time.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1285 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1786 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Ain't my puppy cute? KUSA 44 3033 March 6, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6009 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Creative Puppy Name Suggestions brewer 59 7987 September 7, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Trying to Decide Something rexbeccarox 94 10179 April 11, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Wink Scientist ejected by audience after trying to crowd surf at classical music concert MountainsWinAgain 11 2138 June 22, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Russian man trying to out wierd americans downbeatplumb 12 2914 November 10, 2011 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Britain competes in trying to outretard America :: Copyright Trolls Attack Autumnlicious 1 1356 June 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: theVOID