Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western USA wildfires
Western USA wildfires
I don't know how much of this has made the news but we've got a disaster on our hands in Oregon, Washington, and California.

We had a very unusual hot, dry, windstorm blow through the area starting last weekend.  It's wildfire season and with new fires and flare-ups of existing ones over a million acres has burned in Oregon in the last 72 or so hours.  Our home is safe unless things change drastically but my wife works just outside the mandatory evac zone for the Riverside fire burning southwest of Portland, and we have friends and coworkers some of whom are evacuees and some who have been told told to be ready to go at a moment's notice.  We have coworkers who have lost their homes.

On Wednesday the smoke rolled in and has only become worse - it's not safe to go outside even masked.  My cousin in Kennewick reports AQI of 684 this morning.  It was 364 when I last checked.

I've lived in this area for 48 years, I've seen plenty of bad wildfire years, and I've never seen anything like it, or the storm that preceded it.  The degree to which population centers are affected is unprecedented here, at least 500,000 are under an evacuation order, about one in ten.

What a year this has been.
RE: Western USA wildfires
"Live Rescue" followed a sheriff as he struggled to survey the damage. Buildings destroyed, roads lined with vehicles that had to be abandoned. And the rescue of 217 campers via Chinook helicopter. They were completely surrounded by fires.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-daring-...d=72869187
RE: Western USA wildfires
Locally...

Woke up this morning to an air quality index of 590. It looks like a sickly dense fog, and burns the eyes. Went outside briefly to take the garbage and recycling out and get the mail when the AQI was about a third of what it is now and it was palpable. The forecast says we can go outside safely by Wednesday.

Even the dog knows to not stay outside.

The Riverside fire that is threatening Oregon City (where my wife works) has some small good news, the wind is favorable, we might get some rain on Tuesday, and boots on the ground are getting a handle on it. Evac zone 3 (Go right now) hasn't moved back, but some area communities have been upgraded from Zone 2 to Zone 3.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1567 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What is happening in USA? SaStrike 80 8020 March 12, 2018 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Finally, proof that ISIS recieved funding from a western company. WinterHold 2 843 December 8, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Another Airbus near miss (Western australia) ignoramus 6 1727 June 29, 2017 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Not headlineworthy in the USA? abaris 41 3157 September 5, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Just to show, who's boots we're licking in the EU, as well as in the USA abaris 9 2593 January 4, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
Big Grin Hate-speech campaigner sent back to USA Aractus 14 3079 October 13, 2015 at 4:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  China surpassed the USA KUSA 12 2932 October 9, 2014 at 8:48 am
Last Post: bladevalant546