Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Just to show, who's boots we're licking in the EU, as well as in the USA
Just to show, who's boots we're licking in the EU, as well as in the USA
So Erdogan justifies his planned changes to the constitution by seeing the positive sides in Hitler's reign.

Quote:Hitler's Germany had an effective form of government, according to Turkey's increasingly controversial President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Turkey's leader, whose AKP party won a convincing election victory last year, wants to change the Turkish constitution to grant the country's currently ceremonial role of president executive powers, making it more like the USA, France or Russia.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkish-preside...nt-1535642
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Just to show, who's boots we're licking in the EU, as well as in the USA
And, like Hitler, he was elected!
(January 1, 2016 at 3:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And, like Hitler, he was elected!

Hitler didn't really get elected. He got the majority of seats, that's true. But if the conservatives hadn't formed a coalition, he wouldn't have found a majority to rule. And what's more, Hindenburg wouldn't have appointed him, if Papen hadn't vouched for Hitler.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstags...ember_1932
People in power don't like being actual presidents, because a president is supposed to be a public servant. Few people want to be a servant, especially when given power.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Is the issue with executive powers at all or with this individual getting executive powers? I think you need to educate me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 1, 2016 at 3:19 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Is the issue with executive powers at all or with this individual getting executive powers? I think you need to educate me.

The turkish constitution, as it is, goes to great pains to be strictly secular and to not grant any individual power without checks and balances. So, it's both, actually. One power hungry person and an Islamist on the side.
(January 1, 2016 at 3:39 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 1, 2016 at 3:19 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Is the issue with executive powers at all or with this individual getting executive powers? I think you need to educate me.

The turkish constitution, as it is, goes to great pains to be strictly secular and to not grant any individual power without checks and balances. So, it's both, actually. One power hungry person and an Islamist on the side.

OK. I guess I've got no issues with executive powers as long there exists as system of effective checks and balances. If he is granting his own powers (or his majority backers) I would have an issue.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 1, 2016 at 3:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OK. I guess I've got no issues with executive powers as long there exists as system of effective checks and balances. If he is granting his own powers (or his majority backers) I would have an issue.

And that's exactly what he does, basically. But he's certainly not the only one with Hungary's Orban and Polands newly elected government. At least in the case of Poland, the EU has threatened to impose sanctions if they continue to disable the democratic checks and balances.

Probably doesn't make headlines in the US, but we've got quite a few countries moving in the direction of fascism. In the case of Poland, clerical fascism, gicing the nature of the newly elected party.
(January 1, 2016 at 2:46 pm)abaris Wrote: So Erdogan justifies his planned changes to the constitution by seeing the positive sides in Hitler's reign.

Quote:Hitler's Germany had an effective form of government, according to Turkey's increasingly controversial President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Turkey's leader, whose AKP party won a convincing election victory last year, wants to change the Turkish constitution to grant the country's currently ceremonial role of president executive powers, making it more like the USA, France or Russia.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkish-preside...nt-1535642
They should permanently retire him before the next sunrise.
Well this sucks. Erdogan also wants to eliminate the Kurds. I really do think Barrack Obama needs to relinquish his Nobel Peace Prize.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 700 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1537 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dems don't show up. onlinebiker 14 675 October 23, 2020 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Western USA wildfires Jackalope 2 231 September 13, 2020 at 8:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Well that was some fast back-tracking by Facebook robvalue 9 1200 July 12, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Well, It Hardly Qualifies As A 'Replica', Then BrianSoddingBoru4 13 886 May 25, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  BREAKING: First Images of Saudi Nuclear Reactor Show Plant Nearing Finish WinterHold 0 276 April 3, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  One of Obamacare’s big experiments to lower costs is working surprisingly well Aegon 9 778 September 5, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Well, This Sucks For Online Buyers A Theist 13 1171 June 21, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Trump Turns G-7 into a Reality Show Jehanne 136 15304 June 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: GUBU