Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brahma and Abraham
Brahma and Abraham
Here's a post about comparative mythology.

Was Abraham modeled on Brahma? Or are similarities just coincidences?

Here are few excerpts from a blogpost, for more click on the link below

Quote:The similarities between the names of Abraham and Brahma have not gone unnoticed. Abraham is said to be the father of the Jews, and Brahma, as the first created being, is often seen as the father of mankind...’ We might also note that the name of Brahma’s consort Sarasvati seems to resonate with that of Abraham’s wife, Sarah [… each one’s identity as a wife and/or sister]. Also, in India, the Sarasvati River includes a tributary known as the Ghaggar…. According to Jewish tradition, Hagar was Sarah’s maidservant…. Both Brahmins … and Jews see themselves as the ‘chosen people of God.’ The Hebrews began their sojourn through history as a ‘kingdom of priests’ (Exodus 19:6). Likewise, Brahmins are also a community of priests.

Abraham/Sarah and Brahma/Saraswati are not the only overlapping figures between Hindu and Hebrew traditions. Ajit Vadakayil points out that there is also Adam/Eve and Adhama/ Havyavati, along with Noah and Nyuha or Manu (Blogspot.com). As well, the Hebrew religion is one among a group of traditions (including Islam and Christianity) that believe that Abraham is their father. As well, since Brahma has will-born sons, Brahmanaspati (Lord of the Brahman Priests) and Brihaspati (Lord of the Burden Carriers), their relationship with Abraham cannot be answered so simply as the introductory title is asking.

The Ten Common Themes between Brahma (with his wish born sons) and Abraham

1.) Divine Eternal Lineage of Brahma and Abraham

i. Brahma as Father of All (RV7.97b), while Abraham as Father of many nations (Gen 17:5)

ii. Brahma is Creator of Universe (BG14.1-4, AV18.1.47, AV19.22.21), while Abraham’s descendants number as the stars of the sky.

Brahma bore all Gods (CU8.15.1), Celestial Beings and Enlightened Ones out of his body (RV1.40.5,7; MunU1.1.1-2), while God makes Abraham fruitful and the Genesis text literally reads: ‘kings come out from him’ (Gen 17:6).

Brahma and Sarasvati dwelt 100 years together then bore their first son, while Abraham was 100 when Sarah, at 90, bore Isaac

2.) The Priestly Offering of the Son of Brahma and Abraham

i. Brahma’s son (or grandson), Daksha, is killed at the offering sacrifice before all the gods, while Abraham almost offers his son Isaac.

ii. At the pleading of his father, Brihaspati (born from Brahma’s body, RV3.23.1) Daksha is resurrected with the head of a ram, while Abraham finds a ram caught in a bush to sacrifice in place of his son Isaac (Gen 22:1-13).

3.) The Wife and Sister of Brahma and Abraham: Sarasvati and Sarah

i. Brahma’s wife and sister is Sarasvati (SV7.96.2), Her beauty is so great that Brahma grew 4 faces to view her from the every direction (AV19.17; KenU3), while Abraham’s wife, Sarah, is also called his sister (Gen 20:12) and is beautiful (Gen 12:14).

ii. Compared to Brahma with faces of the four directions is Abraham who when called by God was to look North, East, West and South to the promised land, the 4 directions (Gen 13:14).

https://www.boloji.com/articles/15119/ab...hma-part-i
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Brahma and Abraham
Facepalm

If any atheist is going to fall for this shit, they may as well just think the Bible/Qur'an has scientific miracles and numerological hints that accurately predict the future with such astoundingness. It's basically the same underlying flawed reasoning, focus only on the small sample of hits ignoring the vast sample of misses and exaggerate/add extra made up stuff to the hits to further reinforce one's biases.
(September 14, 2020 at 10:41 pm)Grandizer Wrote: If any atheist is going to fall for this shit, they may as well just think the Bible/Qur'an has scientific miracles and numerological hints that accurately predict the future with such astoundingness.

Why would anyone who thinks that Abraham was modeled on Brahma think that that about Bible and Quran? How does one correlate with other?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 14, 2020 at 11:56 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(September 14, 2020 at 10:41 pm)Grandizer Wrote: If any atheist is going to fall for this shit, they may as well just think the Bible/Qur'an has scientific miracles and numerological hints that accurately predict the future with such astoundingness.

Why would anyone who thinks that Abraham was modeled on Brahma think that that about Bible and Quran? How does one correlate with other?

Read the rest of what I said to see the point I was making. It's basically confirmation bias. Do you not agree this is an issue with the OP itself?
Syncretism in the ANE isn't a new phenomena or a radical suggestion, Grand.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 15, 2020 at 5:07 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Syncretism in the ANE isn't a new phenomena or a radical suggestion, Grand.

Stop. No one is saying otherwise.

When we're discussing specific claims, you don't talk in generalities.

It is a radical idea to say Abraham is based on Brahma.
(September 15, 2020 at 6:22 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 5:07 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Syncretism in the ANE isn't a new phenomena or a radical suggestion, Grand.

'Based on' and 'modeled on' are probably much too strong, as both imply a level of deliberate action that likely didn't exist.  I would expect it has more to do with cultural diffusion than anything else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 15, 2020 at 6:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 6:22 am)Grandizer Wrote: Stop. No one is saying otherwise.

'Based on' and 'modeled on' are probably much too strong, as both imply a level of deliberate action that likely didn't exist.  I would expect it has more to do with cultural diffusion than anything else.

Boru

I would suspect the quote in the OP is very misleading and relies a lot on nitpicking, twisting facts, and seeing things that just aren't really there.
(September 15, 2020 at 6:54 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 6:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'Based on' and 'modeled on' are probably much too strong, as both imply a level of deliberate action that likely didn't exist.  I would expect it has more to do with cultural diffusion than anything else.

Boru

I would suspect the quote in the OP is very misleading and relies a lot on nitpicking, twisting facts, and seeing things that just aren't really there.

Yeah, it seems a bit of a stretch to me as well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 15, 2020 at 6:22 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(September 15, 2020 at 5:07 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Syncretism in the ANE isn't a new phenomena or a radical suggestion, Grand.

Not in the slightest.  Whatever radicalness you perceive to the idea comes down to silent negative valuations you have about the myths being based or modeled on each other in syncretic regions like the ANE. Boru mentions one, deliberate action, but all creation of any character is a deliberate act. Deliberate action, itself, is standing in as a euphemism for something else.

Like..knowingly copied another myth as a significant falsehood or deception, for example. Plagiarism.

FWIW, the authors contention is that the characters are based on each other, and others, in effect - based on ideas commonly popular to more than one tradition known in the ANE. Which is....exactly how syncretism works....it's not a unilateral flow of influence, or plagiarism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7882 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2051 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 9311 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44876 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are the Abraham religions so interested in controlling people sexually NuclearEnergy 42 11139 June 21, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V
  Mormon Church Admits J Smith Didn't Translate Book Of Abraham JesusHChrist 54 13258 September 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Abraham read the script, obviously! Bad Writer 28 7727 August 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: The Meritocrat
  Abraham and Jewish History?!? solja247 27 7445 December 3, 2010 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Dotard