Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope sued
Pope sued
By three Australians

Quote:Three men who were allegedly sexually assaulted by a paedophile priest are suing Pope Francis, the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne and the Catholic Church.

It is the first known case in Australia where victims have claimed compensation from a pope for failing to take action to stop the clerical sexual abuse by a known abuser.

The three men from one extended family were allegedly abused — repeatedly and regularly — by serial paedophile Michael Glennon in the 1980s.

A writ has been lodged with the Victorian Supreme Court, claiming damages against Pope Francis, the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Peter Comensoli and one of his predecessors, Frank Little.

The entity representing the church is also named.

More of the article:

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Pope sued
So, I get how the Church itself is culpable, but I’m not sure they actually have much standing against Pope Francis, who would have been a rector at a seminary in Buenos Aires at the time, or Peter Comensoli, who wouldn’t even have been ordained at that point.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Here's a far better idea: People could sue the church for the medical expenses of everyone that gets COVID due to their being open and encouraging attendance in a known high-risk period.

I mean the fact that churches are suing to stay open instead of voluntarily doing what's in the best interest of public health tells you everything you need to know about churches and their values.

Quote:Supreme Court bars New York's COVID limits on religious house of worship attendance

The court's action could push New York to reevaluate those restrictions, but it won't have any immediate impact since the two groups that sued as a result of the restrictions, the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox Jewish synagogues in Brooklyn and Queens, are no longer subject to them.

The groups sued to challenge attendance limits at houses of worship in areas designated red and orange zones, where New York had capped attendance at 10 and 25 people, respectively. But the groups are now subject to less-restrictive rules because they're now in areas designated yellow zones.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/supreme...f-worship/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 29, 2020 at 1:04 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Here's a far better idea: People could sue the church for the medical expenses of everyone that gets COVID due to their being open and encouraging attendance in a known high-risk period.

I mean the fact that churches are suing to stay open instead of voluntarily doing what's in the best interest of public health tells you everything you need to know about churches and their values.

Quote:Supreme Court bars New York's COVID limits on religious house of worship attendance

The court's action could push New York to reevaluate those restrictions, but it won't have any immediate impact since the two groups that sued as a result of the restrictions, the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox Jewish synagogues in Brooklyn and Queens, are no longer subject to them.

The groups sued to challenge attendance limits at houses of worship in areas designated red and orange zones, where New York had capped attendance at 10 and 25 people, respectively. But the groups are now subject to less-restrictive rules because they're now in areas designated yellow zones.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/supreme...f-worship/

That was actually a good ruling (though now moot) by the court, as the same restrictions were not placed on secular businesses in the same zones. If the law had been written to treat all public gatherings equally, it might have stood.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2020 at 5:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That was actually a good ruling (though now moot) by the court, as the same restrictions were not placed on secular businesses in the same zones. If the law had been written to treat all public gatherings equally, it might have stood.

Boru

Not according to state which argued that its rules already treated houses of worship more favorably than activities it considered comparable, such as lectures, concerts, cinemas and sporting events, which are completely shut in high-risk zones.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 29, 2020 at 7:39 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 5:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That was actually a good ruling (though now moot) by the court, as the same restrictions were not placed on secular businesses in the same zones. If the law had been written to treat all public gatherings equally, it might have stood.

Boru

Not according to state which argued that its rules already treated houses of worship more favorably than activities it considered comparable, such as lectures, concerts, cinemas and sporting events, which are completely shut in high-risk zones.

They made a very selective argument. So-called ‘essential’ businesses (laundromats, grocery stores, etc) were allowed to operate at 25% capacity, while houses of worship were restricted to (IIRC) 10-50 people, regardless of capacity.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2020 at 1:04 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Here's a far better idea: People could sue the church for the medical expenses of everyone that gets COVID due to their being open and encouraging attendance in a known high-risk period.

They'd go with faith healing and not spend a dime.
(November 29, 2020 at 1:25 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

They'd go with faith healing and not spend a dime.

Catholics aren't really known for their faith healing practices.

They might light a candle for you.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 1:25 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: They'd go with faith healing and not spend a dime.

Pffffftttt candles....

Light some M-80s for me....

Great
(November 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 1:25 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: They'd go with faith healing and not spend a dime.

They would charge people for the candles, for the candle holders, for the building the candle holders are in, for prayers said in the general direction of the candles, for removing stubs and melted wax, and for taking care of your little boys while you're praying for their sick mother.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It doesn't matter what you think Pope. Brian37 21 1312 April 5, 2021 at 9:26 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Pope Francis Abuse Scandal Catholic_Lady 101 10343 September 5, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Alex Jones being sued by parents of Sandy Hook Victims Divinity 26 3621 April 20, 2018 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The pope hasn't read the bible. Succubus 1 497 January 24, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Pope doesn't trust God...... Brian37 8 825 December 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  John Oliver being sued by Greedy Coal Bastard Divinity 2 1005 June 22, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Proseltyzing state trooper sued for preaching during traffic stop... again Doubting Thomas 10 2335 April 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pope calls on Europe’s Catholics to take in refugees Fake Messiah 8 2198 November 14, 2015 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Nation Thanks Pope for Briefly Bumping Trump from News Pyrrho 3 1223 September 25, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pope calls out christian fundamentalists dyresand 16 3236 July 12, 2015 at 2:57 am
Last Post: dyresand