Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you miss the big theaters?
Will you miss the big theaters?
I loved the big screens, but nothing else about the multiplex theaters. (Well, since they added bars...)

I've heard that most of the big chains are in dire straights. What will replace them, if anything?
RE: Will you miss the big theaters?
Honestly haven't been to the theatre in so many years I cannot remember when I last attended.

They're becoming understandably obsolete in a time when technology has advanced to the point where one only has to leave home to go to work.

You can get groceries delivered to your home, you can shop online and having those packages delivered to your front door, you can stream online. Box Office hits will have to go the streaming route, but even then I won't be paying to see a movie online.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If you were never a 16 year old boy groping your squeeze in the back row - you can't understand the allure....
(December 7, 2020 at 9:10 am)onlinebiker Wrote: If you were never a 16 year old boy groping your squeeze in the back row - you can't understand the allure....

When I was a little one, we had an outside drive-in theatre. Saw Crocodile Dundee.

The next time I visited the theatre was an indoor one, pre-pubescent, with my classmates to watch the animated version of Beauty and the Beast.

Never visited the theatre as a teenager because we simply didn't have one in our town. It wasn't built until after I had graduated and was gone.

The next time I visited the theatre was in my twenties. I don't think I ever visited a theatre beyond my twenties, which technically makes it more than ten years since the experience.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 7, 2020 at 9:10 am)onlinebiker Wrote: If you were never a 16 year old boy groping your squeeze in the back row - you can't understand the allure....

That was more of a Drive-In thing for me. I've seen that small drive-ins are making a comeback during covid.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

I had a '58 Rambler station wagon. Front seat laid down even with the back seat, playground the size of a full bet. Drive-ins wouldn't let me in if I had a girl with me. So my brother rode with me and his GF brought mine in David's car.
My dad had a Rambler; I don't think we ever got to the drive-in with it though.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Well yeah, it was a cheaper option. Now you have to pay for HBO, HBO+, Hulu, Amazon prime, PBS all access, Disney+, Netflix... and when these new movies that were announced to come out on these streaming services at the same time that they are in theaters, you'll have to pay separately to watch them like it was the case with Mulan.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
But you don't have to pay for $2.00 worth of popcorn with $50 bill.
I'm surprised we haven't seen a resurgence in drive in theaters. I know wally world was attempting that, but those parking lots are packed as is. I'd rather see a tacobell with a huge parking lot turn their venue into a drive in theater.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big squarish dick-thing in Dune? Gawdzilla Sama 26 1421 January 10, 2024 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Unofficial Big Bang Theory fan thread. Brian37 34 10176 May 19, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Being a Big Band/Contemp Jazz & Metallica fan... Brian37 5 951 April 15, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Big Picture (Sean Carroll) GrandizerII 5 1101 February 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3654 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Watch VICE, yet again, completely miss the mark AceBoogie 12 1841 April 16, 2017 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Big Band Style Porcupine Tree by Gavin Harrison Edwardo Piet 1 1051 October 25, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Big Bang Big Boom Phaedra 4 1232 October 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Epimethean