Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:36 am

Poll: Although you may not agree with me - did you find my position to be offensive?
This poll is closed.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
100.00%
24 100.00%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Thought from a Deist
A Thought from a Deist
First of all let me say that you will NOT find an uninformed ranting fundamentalist imbecile here. As a matter of fact, I have no tolerance for any organized religion. I despise the religious "right" and hold Christianity and Judaism primarily responsible for nearly every act of madness this planet has ever experienced. My personal view is this. Live and let live. Believe in God - Don't believe in God ... I couldt care less. Just don't kill anybody cause I don't happen to agree with you.

That being said, I still believe in God. All religion is nonsensical lunacy to me, especially Christianity, but I still believe in the existance of a God. Don't get me wrong. I offer this faith no value. I assign this God no name, no emotions, no concepts. I don't suppose to know him (or her). I don't believe he's sitting in the room with me or reading this thread. I don't suppose that he can see the future or that he even has any interest in the events of this world. Hell, I don't even think he's perfect. I don't think he's out to get anyone, and by that measure I don't think he's out to save anyone either. I don't pray to him to help me find my car keys, get a raise, or save my aunt from cancer. I don't believe in "heaven" or hell". I simply believe that God made this little universe, set it in motion, and said, "have at it." I think religion (especially Christianity) made God out to be something he never ever was and never will be. I think intelligence in creation can be seen in some cases, but in reality "God" got the worst wrap in history ... all thanks to the religions of mankind. I have found that this concept of a God with no religion REALLY pisses off christians in general. No surprise there, but what I was so very surprised to find is how often it irritates atheists. This is upsetting to me because I MUCH prefer the company of atheists to christians. I get it - christians cannot seperate their God from their religion, but why would some (not all) atheists find me so offensive. I don't give a shit if you believe in God or not ... why does it offend you that I have a faith without a flag. A belief without a book, and a God without an army.

I would really like to hear some thoughts on this. Speak freely ... and I know you will.

Live and let live.

RE: A Thought from a Theist
Offend? No. You're effectively a Deist and Thomas Jefferson was a Deist and his was perhaps the greatest mind produced on the North American continent. Ever.

But I can understand it from Jefferson...he lived in the 18th and early 19h centuries when science was in its infancy.

So I'll ask you the same question I ask all Deists. Why bother? What do you get from a god like that?

At least the fundies delude themselves into thinking that they are going to get some great reward.

And Hello, btw.
Have to agree with Min...while I can understand the Deism I fail to see why one should bother.

Welcome from Oz Hi
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I can't imagine ANY atheist being "OFFENDED" by your belief, but I CAN see a passionate curiosity about what the concept of "god" means to you.

I guess I don't get the purpose of such a god, or how you came to believe such a thing. I personally don't care, good on ya, but. For your own intellectual exercise, you should be able to rationalize it.

I personally enjoy Sagans "There's a Dragon in my Garage" argument:

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm

I look forward to expanding this discussion.
"We live in the age of the internet, and there are still people willing to blow themselves up for the HIGHLY UNLIKELY possiblility of pussy in another dimension!" - Joe Rogan

"Jesus Christ! Grab the Escalade, we're outta here!" - God
(March 4, 2011 at 1:40 am)Cinjin Cain Wrote: cannot seperate their God from their religion, but why would some (not all) atheists find me so offensive. I don't give a shit if you believe in God or not ... why does it offend you that I have a faith without a flag. A belief without a book, and a God without an army.

I would really like to hear some thoughts on this. Speak freely ... and I know you will.

Live and let live.

Welcome!

This is one atheist who won't find you offensive! It's religions themselves that I find offensive, with their ridiculous beliefs and doctrines and the effect that it has on their followers.

Belief or non-belief is a personal thing and if a belief in a god is what someone needs to get them through life, to have that security blanket, then that's up to them. I don't need a belief in a god, but I don't criticize those that do.

Not all atheists would find you offensive, but any group of people, religious or not contains a cross section of society. Some Christians find atheists offensive, the majority probably couldn't care less about atheists, and that's what happens in life, it takes all sorts to comprise a group.

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
I doubt you'll find anyone on this forum at least who would be offended by your beliefs.

As has been discussed before we cannot conclusively prove or disprove god.

And it appears that the god you believe in has no interaction with this world at all.(best sort really)

It merely set the universe in motion and sat back to see what would happen.

Again not an impossible scenario, but as with most people here until I see evidence to the contrary my default position is that there is no god. (at least one I should be worrying about anyway)

P.s hi......
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
You seem to be a deist. And i've never heard about anyone killing someone in the name of deism.
You dont offend me. You are a deist who appreciates some of the parts of Christianity. You are not a theist according to your description. What you believe is pretty much what they founding fathers of America believed when it came to religion.

read some Thomas Paine and Jefferson (Jeffersons bible is an interesting topic).
Welcome.

Deism has an honourable tradition, but in my view is highly improbable and is a more complex explanation than the leading natural theories of the "why questions". Why would you think we would be offended by Deism or even theism.
Personally speaking I am offended by those who preach hate against others, try to force feed vulnerable people b/s in classrooms, and rape small boys and girls.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
One question:

Why do you believe in a deity?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2876 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I am now back to deist GrandizerII 24 3424 April 1, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike chimp3 39 8650 October 11, 2017 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16337 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Lust, sex, random thought PETE_ROSE 295 30403 August 23, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Joods
  A Deist Parable DeistPaladin 2 1004 April 3, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A passing thought A_Nony_Mouse 1 1085 April 10, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  More thought leads to less certainty...? inflectious 7 2418 May 20, 2011 at 6:57 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Contradictions in "rational" thought RAD 51 21094 August 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
Sad Just when you thought...... Xyster 4 2049 March 25, 2010 at 8:37 am
Last Post: Dotard