Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congress and drink coasters.
Congress and drink coasters.
I get being angry at the GOP, but some things are simply to damned absurd to me to get angry at. Lots of reasons to hate the GOP for sure. 

But just today on Twitter someone started a thread and posted video of a congress person taking a drink coaster off a chamber desk, implying it was theft. If someone wants to argue it is, I'll be happy to read and consider. But I'd argue it is no different than congressional pens. Both parties take them to keep as a momento and keep them or hand them out. Just like when one, for example goes into a NAPPA or car insurance company and take a pen, they let you because it is a form of advertisement for them. 

The only real argument one could make is cost of having to replace them. That would be a better argument. And whatever cost to replace that congressional coaster pales in comparison to the tax breaks billionaires get that adds to long term debt and the money we spend on the military weapons industry, in any case.

Long ago, back when Bush Sr was President, my mother waited in line for a WH tour, she didn't meet him, but it was shortly after one Christmas, and after the tree was taken down, they handed out the decorations to those at that tour that day. I think this is more along the lines of why that particular Congress person took it. But if anyone thinks Dems in congress don't take pens or coasters, I think that would be a mistake to assume.

Am I missing something here?
RE: Congress and drink coasters.
(February 15, 2021 at 7:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I get being angry at the GOP, but some things are simply to damned absurd to me to get angry at. Lots of reasons to hate the GOP for sure. 

But just today on Twitter someone started a thread and posted video of a congress person taking a drink coaster off a chamber desk, implying it was theft. If someone wants to argue it is, I'll be happy to read and consider. But I'd argue it is no different than congressional pens. Both parties take them to keep as a momento and keep them or hand them out. Just like when one, for example goes into a NAPPA or car insurance company and take a pen, they let you because it is a form of advertisement for them. 

The only real argument one could make is cost of having to replace them. That would be a better argument. And whatever cost to replace that congressional coaster pales in comparison to the tax breaks billionaires get that adds to long term debt and the money we spend on the military weapons industry, in any case.

Long ago, back when Bush Sr was President, my mother waited in line for a WH tour, she didn't meet him, but it was shortly after one Christmas, and after the tree was taken down, they handed out the decorations to those at that tour that day. I think this is more along the lines of why that particular Congress person took it. But if anyone thinks Dems in congress don't take pens or coasters, I think that would be a mistake to assume.

You're clearing your conscious for taking hotel ashtrays and towels?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 15, 2021 at 8:24 pm)brewer Wrote:
(February 15, 2021 at 7:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I get being angry at the GOP, but some things are simply to damned absurd to me to get angry at. Lots of reasons to hate the GOP for sure. 

You're clearing your conscious for taking hotel ashtrays and towels?

I never did that. But back when I was a kid and teen, when airlines still had metal utensils my mom would swipe a spoon with the airline logo on it. I wish I had bothered to keep them. I had one from Islandic Loflander (SP) back in the early 70s when we flew to France.

But in the case of the Congressional Coasters or Congressional pens, those are taken and handed out all the time. I think in that case it is like when you go into a business with pens with the company name on them, and they let you take it. It is a form of advertising. 

Again, one could argue that by having to constantly replace them, it adds to the cost for the complex. That would be a good argument not to do it. But again, I don't think either party thinks of it as "theft". 

And I wouldn't limit hotels to ashtrays and towels. The soaps and shampoos the hotels expect people to take even if they don't use them during their stay. 

The towels and ashtrays would be more akin to stealing Pelosi's lectern, and not the mere soap they expect you to take.
So, some random person on Twitter decides to focus on who removes a coaster off a chamber desk.

At least I now know that useless threads aren't only found here.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Maybe he brought those coasters with him and didn’t want them to fall into the hands of the next gang of insurrectionists to invade the Capitol.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 991 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Buzzfeed reports Trump directed Cohen to lie to congress LadyForCamus 61 6473 January 26, 2019 at 5:49 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Congress' Dumbest Republicunt... Minimalist 9 1209 October 11, 2016 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What are your thoughts on Congress defunding Planned Parenthood GoHalos1993 51 8207 December 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Congress bans the CDC from doing study on gun violence TaraJo 95 14916 October 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Drink drive limit change in Scotland lifesagift 13 2695 December 7, 2014 at 5:25 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Michelle Obama says to drink water - conservatives get outraged Doubting Thomas 20 4408 September 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Buddhist, Hindu Make History With Elections To Congress 8BitAtheist 10 3535 January 5, 2013 at 10:43 am
Last Post: BGChuckLee
  Chinese Communist Party Congress: greatest comedy show on earth KichigaiNeko 3 1943 November 13, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris