Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupidity in my hometown
Stupidity in my hometown
My hometown paper has an article about a family who wants to take their ill 12 year old daughter to Lourdes! Apparently, the girl has some form of hepatitis that will necessitate a liver transplant by the time she's 20. So how does her family plan to treat this disease? They're going to take the kid to Lourdes hoping the waters will provide a miracle cure!

Twits.

But the worst part is that they want other people to pay for this trip! There will be a pancake breakfast where the proceeds will be used to fund this stupidity! Instead of using the money to cover the cost of a future liver transplant, these dopes will travel to France and bathe their daughter in "magic" water!

I feel sorry for the kid. I'm sure the parents have the girl all excited about traveling to Lourdes and possibly receiving a miracle cure. I can only imagine her disappointment when the miracle doesn't happen. These dopes might as well have a witch doctor dance around the kid and shake a rattle. It would be equally effective.

You can view the article here:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...r-girl--12

Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
RE: Stupidity in my hometown
Quote:Millions of Catholics travel to the Lourdes shrine every year where the spring waters are reputed to have miraculous healing powers

Yep...pretty much nothing stupider than a catholic.
(March 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Millions of Catholics travel to the Lourdes shrine every year where the spring waters are reputed to have miraculous healing powers
Yep...pretty much nothing stupider than a catholic.

I was unaware that there were sacred rivers in Christianity. I thought that was a mostly Hindu idea, like the Ganges river...well, you learn something new everyday.
(March 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I was unaware that there were sacred rivers in Christianity. I thought that was a mostly Hindu idea, like the Ganges river...well, you learn something new everyday.

What gets me is that people flock to this destination like they have free hookers. Roughly FIVE MILLION people visit this "shrine" every year! Many of them looking for a cure! But look at the odds! There have been 67 "confirmed" cases of a "miracle cure" at Lourdes. Approximately 200 MILLION people have been dipped in the "healing" waters. This is a success rate of .0000335%, or roughly one in THREE MILLION! You have better odds of hitting the jackpot on a scratch-off ticket!

Imagine that you have some disease and the doctor offers a treatment option. He tells you that you must fly to France to receive this treatment, which will cost thousands of dollars for airfare, hotel, food, etc... but the treatment itself is free and painless! Sounds good, right? Then you ask the doctor about the success rate of this treatment. He tells you about one person in three million receives a complete cure.

Would you even bother to go get this treatment? Your odds of dying in a plane crash or auto accident on the way to (or from) the treatment facility are much greater than the odds that the treatment will work. Not to mention, with one chance in 3 million, how do they know it is the TREATMENT that is the cure?

And yet, the deluded dimbulbs flock by the thousands. Must be nice to be a hotel owner there.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein
Notice to all Catholics on this board:

I sell bottles of water from Nestlé…uh, I mean Lourdes for only $120 (or two for $200). Please PM me if you want the details on ordering!
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
ROFLOL
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
How totally sad. I feel so sorry for the poor kid.

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
Quote:I was unaware that there were sacred rivers in Christianity.

If the fuckers thought they could make a buck out of it they'd sponsor a holy shithouse.

"Come Take A Dump For The LORD."

[Image: bible-poo.jpg]

"Buy A Roll of Our Blessed Toilet Paper.....personally blessed by Herr Von Popenfuhrer himself!"
Yup...only the religious can be so heartlessly cruel. Oh and stoopid!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just pointing out the stupidity of this argument Heat 29 6020 January 7, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Hannity gets served by an atheist... and his own stupidity Regina 73 10860 June 23, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  An Anti-Gay Preacher In My Hometown Was Busted On Grindr Faith No More 50 14111 May 25, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  More Christian Stupidity Foxaèr 8 1854 March 18, 2015 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stupidity: Just got my bell RUNG! BlackSwordsman 2 1184 May 29, 2014 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  The Latest Installment of Catholic Stupidity Minimalist 18 3703 October 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Christian stupidity Zen Badger 0 1370 December 11, 2010 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Zen Badger