Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad about report from the vet
Sad about report from the vet
I lost a Cavalier a few years ago...most likely from an undiagnosed heart condition.  He died in his sleep at just over six years old.

This is the time of year when my three Cavaliers go to the vet for exams and shots and whatever else comes up.  I pay for the vets' kids summer camp fees, I think.

Well, Karm is 9+ and has had a heart murmur that been rated at a 2 for the last few years.  Now it's a grade 4.  Though she needs a dental cleaning, they don't want to anesthetize her until she's had a cardiac workup.  We knew it would get worse but it was hard hearing it from the vet.  She's a happy dog though deaf as a stone.  She zips upstairs when it's time to go to bed like she's still a puppy and generally seems okay.  But now I have to monitor her respiration and check her for swelling more often in her legs and abdomen.  

Here's hoping she still has some good time left in her.  I think I will know when it's time to make a decision, if it comes to that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Sad about report from the vet
My heart goes out to you and your little pupper. Hoping she sticks with you all for more years yet!

(April 23, 2021 at 12:22 pm)Five Wrote: My heart goes out to you and your little pupper. Hoping she sticks with you all for more years yet!
Thank you.  I am a realist about these things though that doesn't make it that much easier.  My father was a veterinarian so I learned the reality early.  Husband will be devastated...Karm has been his little shadow since the day we brought her home.  I'm okay if he's not around but I don't count for much when he is.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 23, 2021 at 12:45 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Thank you.  I am a realist about these things though that doesn't make it that much easier.  My father was a veterinarian so I learned the reality early.  Husband will be devastated...Karm has been his little shadow since the day we brought her home.  I'm okay if he's not around but I don't count for much when he is.

It's such a hard thing to lose a friend, is all. I call Colby my son and spend every day with him as my little shadow. I will need to get another dog very soon after he eventually passes on. I love having this companionship. So, I get it about that acceptance of the reality of it.

It sounds like she's been a big part of your lives.

That's a good span of life for a Cavalier, and I know you're glad to have her. It's always painful to have to say goodbye, though.  Hug
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(April 23, 2021 at 11:47 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I lost a Cavalier a few years ago...most likely from an undiagnosed heart condition.  He died in his sleep at just over six years old.

This is the time of year when my three Cavaliers go to the vet for exams and shots and whatever else comes up.  I pay for the vets' kids summer camp fees, I think.

Well, Karm is 9+ and has had a heart murmur that been rated at a 2 for the last few years.  Now it's a grade 4.  Though she needs a dental cleaning, they don't want to anesthetize her until she's had a cardiac workup.  We knew it would get worse but it was hard hearing it from the vet.  She's a happy dog though deaf as a stone.  She zips upstairs when it's time to go to bed like she's still a puppy and generally seems okay.  But now I have to monitor her respiration and check her for swelling more often in her legs and abdomen.  

Here's hoping she still has some good time left in her.  I think I will know when it's time to make a decision, if it comes to that.

Keep yer chin up, luv - vets don't know everything. We once had a cat with a cancerous hip tumor. The vet advised against surgery, since she didn't think Gobbler would live more than three or four months at best. Went ahead with the surgery, Gobbler was with us for another six years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Bummer, you have my sympathies.

I had no idea how prevalent mitral valve disorders were in the breed.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 23, 2021 at 2:02 pm)brewer Wrote: Bummer, you have my sympathies.

I had no idea how prevalent mitral valve disorders were in the breed.

Very common, unfortunately.  So far the boys are good at 3 and 5 years old.  Fingers crossed that stays the case.

(April 23, 2021 at 1:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 23, 2021 at 11:47 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I lost a Cavalier a few years ago...most likely from an undiagnosed heart condition.  He died in his sleep at just over six years old.

Keep yer chin up, luv - vets don't know everything. We once had a cat with a cancerous hip tumor. The vet advised against surgery, since she didn't think Gobbler would live more than three or four months at best. Went ahead with the surgery, Gobbler was with us for another six years.

Boru

My husband was real hesitant about her having dental surgery last year.  I think he's sort of relieved that we aren't going to do it again right now.

To see her, you wouldn't think anything is wrong with her...you'd notice the deafness...but otherwise she has a beautiful coat and is pretty energetic.  And springy...she's very springy.  She will leap from a few feet away into my husband's lap any chance she gets.  I plan to just monitor the things the vet said to watch and pay attention if her occasional cough gets worse.

Awww poor pup Sad

I remember when I was 6 and one of our Huskies got mauled by one of the other dogs and my father had to put the poor girl down. I was inconsolable for 2 weeks.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sad. Minimalist 32 2272 September 23, 2018 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sad Scenario: Is He Your Husband or Your Project? Rhondazvous 23 2604 June 17, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Kind of sad. Foxaèr 6 1415 May 1, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  This Is Just Sad.... Minimalist 51 3926 May 23, 2016 at 3:36 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Rainbow A Thread For Sad And Lonely Internet Users Excited Penguin 36 3916 May 17, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Sad Reality :( Heat 23 4642 September 16, 2015 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  I am so sad Foxaèr 23 2522 May 12, 2015 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dahrling
  So I just got back my IQ score and diagnosis and I'm sad MusicLovingAtheist 43 18834 September 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Sad face BrokenQuill92 11 2083 June 18, 2014 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Losty
  Why are you sad/mad/upset? (place to complain) Sedna 22 4519 April 19, 2014 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko